Graham Elite & TechDas AF1

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
My arm arrived today...on my birthday. I thought I would start a thread for this combo. I have no impressions as of yet on the sound as the internal wiring will need to break in and I haven't heard it yet. Later tonight will be my first listen. It's nice to no longer have an empty crater on the table. ;) The cart is a Dynavector XV-1t.

Attachments

• resize-IMG_0478.jpg
    resize-IMG_0478.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 1,568

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Woo hoo!!!!!! Enjoy and can't wait to hear your reaction!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Actually, the Clearaudio Master Innovation is my dedicated mono rig. It's a great sounding table and I can't part with it. The AF1 is dedicated stereo. Supreme 12" w/ Coralstone in the rear and XV-1t in front on the Elite...at least it will be this way for the near future. I may stick an Ortofon A90 on the un-used clearaudio Universal arm that currently sits unused to have a stereo option on the CA table.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Congrats and happy birthday ! I wonder if Graham will ever sell a "hot rod" wiring option...cartridge to rca/xlr's without a break....of course this removes the option of a swappable armwand...

Very curios to read what you think about the new arm !

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Actually, the Clearaudio Master Innovation is my dedicated mono rig. It's a great sounding table and I can't part with it. The AF1 is dedicated stereo. Supreme 12" w/ Coralstone in the rear and XV-1t in front on the Elite...at least it will be this way for the near future. I may stick an Ortofon A90 on the un-used clearaudio Universal arm that currently sits unused to have a stereo option on the CA table.

Is it me or does the new arm look more robust and massive?

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
My arm arrived today...on my birthday. I thought I would start a thread for this combo. I have no impressions as of yet on the sound as the internal wiring will need to break in and I haven't heard it yet. Later tonight will be my first listen. It's nice to no longer have an empty crater on the table. ;) The cart is a Dynavector XV-1t.

Congratulations Christian. Nice photo perspective. It looks similar to the one I took in my Axpona show report.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It's not you. Bob bulked up the arm a bit in key locations.

Dre

Yes, especially it looks at the wand connection end. Also the headshell looks meatier.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Is it me or does the new arm look more robust and massive?

It is. The arm tube is a bigger diameter and the bearing housing is also larger and more robust. The cue drops the arm considerably slower than the Supreme, which is a good thing. First impressions, even w/o the wire broken in...Fantastic. There appears to be more meat on the bone throughout the frequency range.

number95

May 14, 2014
It is. The arm tube is a bigger diameter and the bearing housing is also larger and more robust. The cue drops the arm considerably slower than the Supreme, which is a good thing. First impressions, even w/o the wire broken in...Fantastic. There appears to be more meat on the bone throughout the frequency range.

Congratulations with your Elite! I presume it has been a long wait. I also installed my 9 inch Elite (still waiting Transparent Ref MM phono cable) yesterday which it replaced older B-44 tonearm. I have not tried mkII and or mkII Supreme but can clearly tell Elite is much better tonearm compared to B44. More rigid, robust, all of the sonic parameters already improved.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The arm (Elite 10") sounds fantastic. How much better than the Supreme ? It is difficult for me to tell as the supreme 12" is on the rear armboard extension bolted to the main duralumin plinth. The 10" Elite is in the main slot...integrated into the main plinth so I suspect part of the improvement lies there. In any event, it's a fantatstic arm. Very balanced, extended and neutral sounding.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The arm (Elite 10") sounds fantastic. How much better than the Supreme ? It is difficult for me to tell as the supreme 12" is on the rear armboard extension bolted to the main duralumin plinth. The 10" Elite is in the main slot...integrated into the main plinth so I suspect part of the improvement lies there.

Congratulations on getting the new arm. I'm starting to read some excellent reports about its performance. I questioned the two different arm mounts a while back and asked you about it in another thread (I think the TechDas AF1 thread). You responded by telling me what you may have been told directly from Bob Graham himself, that there is no performance difference between the two arm mounting methods. I'm not sure I believe that. One is cantilevered off the back and the other is solidly bolted onto the main plinth in what looks to be a much more solid and massive arrangement.

Someone once told me that the reason that the SME Model 10 does not have a longer cantilevered armboard for mounting a 12" arm is that SME strongly believes that a longer cantilever would be too great a sonic compromise. They prefer a massive, ultra rigid mount to the main plinth.

The only way to know for sure with your TechDas is to try the same arm/cartridge/cable in both locations and listen for any differences.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I have a Graham Supreme 10" on my clearaudio table. Unfortunately it uses the Linn style mount. The AF1 uses the SME sled mount. I will never be able to compare them since the main plinth position can only take a 10 or 9 inch arm. My cantilevered sme mount 12" Supreme will not fit (length wise) in the main position.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have a Graham Supreme 10" on my clearaudio table. Unfortunately it uses the Linn style mount. The AF1 uses the SME sled mount. I will never be able to compare them since the main plinth position can only take a 10 or 9 inch arm. My cantilevered sme mount 12" Supreme will not fit (length wise) in the main position.

I presume your 10" Elite would fit in both positions on the TechDas. If so, you could try your new Elite in both positions. Or is the back slot for 12" arms only and the main mount for 9-10" arms only? If that is the case, then it is set up so that no direct comparison between the two mounting positions could ever be made. That would be odd. What if an owner has two identical arms and wants to mount them on the TechDas with mono and stereo cartridges?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I presume your 10" Elite would fit in both positions on the TechDas. If so, you could try your new Elite in both positions. Or is the back slot for 12" arms only and the main mount for 9-10" arms only? If that is the case, then it is set up so that no direct comparison between the two mounting positions could ever be made. That would be odd. What if an owner has two identical arms and wants to mount them on the TechDas with mono and stereo cartridges?

I'm not sure I could put the 10" Elite in the back slot or not. It may fit but would require a re drill of the arm board which I am not going to do.

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
Just set up mine.

Elite.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing