VPI Ring Clamp

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Is this something I should consider? Any users here?

Thanks.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Thanks.

You'll never worry about warped records again. Well at least for 12-inch records that are truly 12-inch records (~99% with the biggest offenders being Classic Records reissues.). And yes, better coupling = better low end, dimensionality and imaging among other things. The center clamp does make a difference too; I do find the HIFI Tuning clamps to work better than the stock VPI.

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Thanks.

I have a ring clamp on my Clear Audio I use it every time and yes it makes it better or I would not bother with it. The more contact with the platter with a ring and centre weight seems too work better I have tried for centre weights MSR sota clamp and Clear Audio I have found the Clear Audio the best with my table which is a Clear Audio even thou the the Clear Audio is the simplest of the three it works the best but it is not the cheapest. Layers of wood and metal with 3 spikes if it works shut up and sit down and listen.

Has anyone heard of anybody who has a ring clamp not using it just wondering.

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
if you swing the cash it is a no brainer!!! No warp issues and the sound is improved, blacker background mostly. I would put it way ahead of the SDS upgrade wise.

Suteetat

Sep 3, 2013
Bangkok
Depending on the table that you use, I suppose. On VPI table, it is a no brainer. Some tables doe not like the added weight much. Some tables are best with no center weight at all, some only like light center weight. VPI ring clamp is pretty heavy so I imagine that on the table that center weight deaden the sound too much, ring clamp probably will make it worse. VPI Classic1/3/DD and Clearaudio Innovation Wood are the tables that I consistantly hear improvement with ring clamps, other tables, may be, may be not, I suppose.

jn229

Jul 23, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
I have a fear of an outer ring. A good friend has one and swears by it. My brother in law just bought one and is eager to demonstrate it to me (we have the same table). The fear: well after a committed promise to lay off the gear buying and just be contented, I fear my wallet is about to take another hit.

P.S. The rings mentioned are TTW's

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have a fear of an outer ring. A good friend has one and swears by it. My brother in law just bought one and is eager to demonstrate it to me (we have the same table). The fear: well after a committed promise to lay off the gear buying and just be contented, I fear my wallet is about to take another hit.

P.S. The rings mentioned are TTW's

You see those come up on CAM now and again. Pricey buggers though.

jn229

Jul 23, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
You see those come up on CAM now and again. Pricey buggers though.

The brother in law mentioned is a retired machinist. He has stated machining outer rings without warping the material is difficult. He feels the price all things considered is resumable.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The brother in law mentioned is a retired machinist. He has stated machining outer rings without warping the material is difficult. He feels the price all things considered is resumable.

Good to know. I love the concept, but have always worried about the additional weight. Wish I could try one first on my Nottingham.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines

Thanks.

I agree w/ Myles regarding the improvement made by the VPI periphery ring . But I must caution you if one is using a Benz Micro cartridge specially if the models are the Ruby, SLR, LP, LPS .The strong magnets of this cartridges makes them stick to the ring like magnets attracting metals.This only happens to these models. I have tried the Benz Ace S low and attraction was minimal.

Now that I'm using a Gullwing SLR what I do to go about w/ this problem is to cue a little bit more than the lead in groove. You just missed the start /first lyrics . But I can live w/ it because the Gullwing works w/ my system better than my old Koetsu Rosewood STD

Tdh888

SAT

Industry Expert
Dec 30, 2013
Sweden
www.swedishat.com
Peripheral rings should be made of non-magnetic and HEAVY materials such as copper, brass or austenitic stainless steel, to name a few common ones. I want to emphasise the importance of the mass in this application in order to achieve proper results. The idea is to firmly push the record towards the platter and increase the contact surface between them. Without significant mass (weight) only a limited part of the surface of the record will get in touch with the platter or mat. The hardness or compliance of the mat is a determining factor for the overall performance of this implementation and has to be matched.

I am convinced a peripheral ring together with a centre clamp is one of the best invested money on a vinyl replay system and yields guaranteed fidelity improvements if properly executed at a fraction of the cost of a turntable "upgrade" without this feature. Actually, record hold-down is one of the biggest contributors to higher fidelity in a turntable and it is sadly something most manufacturers don't care about and even recommend not to use. It is easily justified from an engineering point of view and obvious when listening to the results. Everybody should be using it lacking the alternative of vacuum hold-down!

/Marc

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peripheral rings should be made of non-magnetic and HEAVY materials such as copper, brass or austenitic stainless steel, to name a few common ones. I want to emphasise the importance of the mass in this application in order to achieve proper results. The idea is to firmly push the record towards the platter and increase the contact surface between them. Without significant mass (weight) only a limited part of the surface of the record will get in touch with the platter or mat. The hardness or compliance of the mat is a determining factor for the overall performance of this implementation and has to be matched.

I am convinced a peripheral ring together with a centre clamp is one of the best invested money on a vinyl replay system and yields guaranteed fidelity improvements if properly executed at a fraction of the cost of a turntable "upgrade" without this feature. Actually, record hold-down is one of the biggest contributors to higher fidelity in a turntable and it is sadly something most manufacturers don't care about and even recommend not to use. It is easily justified from an engineering point of view and obvious when listening to the results. Everybody should be using it lacking the alternative of vacuum hold-down!

/Marc

I have an SME table and like the center clamp and scrolled platter surface. There is good LP/platter contact. However, there are plenty of analog guys who prefer bare metal platters with no weight, clamp or ring. I'm thinking primarily of Technics SP10 and TW Akustics Raven owners. Perhaps also Brinkmann. They tend to use bare copper platters with nothing to hold down the LP. Frankly, I'm surprised the LP does not slide slightly with stylus/groove friction which can be enough to slow down a heavy platter on a belt drive table.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
...However, there are plenty of analog guys who prefer bare metal platters with no weight, clamp or ring. I'm thinking primarily of Technics SP10 and TW Akustics Raven owners. Perhaps also Brinkmann. They tend to use bare copper platters with nothing to hold down the LP...

I would not apply this to a majority of those users. As with cartridge, turntable, tonearm, cables, and so on choices, this is pretty much a personal preference and/or the "what everybody else that runs in my circles crowd does" decision.

I have my personal beliefs but I also understand that the hobby runs from the logical to the illogical so whatever makes the user happy is their prerogative.

Dre

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I'm an SP-10 MKII owner and I can assure you that I don't listen to my records on a bare metal platter.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm an SP-10 MKII owner and I can assure you that I don't listen to my records on a bare metal platter.

I tried it once on my Nottingham....never again.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing