Anyone using Zellaton refs?

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Been reading through the gazillions of show reports and photos following munich and see that valin, harley and dudley all came away loving the refs.
Is anyone using them, (specifically with the external duelunds), or for those who were in the room in munich, how were the zellatons? In denver in 2012 and 2013 the smaller zellatons were superb but i have never had a chance to hear the refs.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Been reading through the gazillions of show reports and photos following munich and see that valin, harley and dudley all came away loving the refs.
Is anyone using them, (specifically with the external duelunds), or for those who were in the room in munich, how were the zellatons? In denver in 2012 and 2013 the smaller zellatons were superb but i have never had a chance to hear the refs.

Not an owner, but I've heard them at CES this year, at possibly the show's best sounding room (with CH Precision + Trinity gear), and again at Gideon's show room in NYC, with CH Precision + Koda.
I agree with Valin's description, it's one hell of a fast speaker. It also has that clean, taut bass that I love so much. I read somewhere that they can't play loud, well, I did hear them plenty loud, playing electronic music no less, at Audio Arts, and they didn't strain at all.

alexandre

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Not an owner, but I've heard them at CES this year, at possibly the show's best sounding room (with CH Precision + Trinity gear), and again at Gideon's show room in NYC, with CH Precision + Koda.
I agree with Valin's description, it's one hell of a fast speaker. It also has that clean, taut bass that I love so much. I read somewhere that they can't play loud, well, I did hear them plenty loud, playing electronic music no less, at Audio Arts, and they didn't strain at all.

alexandre

Since we are currently talking about power in another thread a question arises - what is the power of the amplifiers that were used in both sessions?

redsquare

Dec 9, 2013
I agree; Zellaton bass is the right bass - fast, accurate and natural. Unquestionably the most musical speaker made today. I like what Robert Harley said in his
best of show report: "For sheer beauty of sound nothing in the MOC equaled the Zellaton's"

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Since we are currently talking about power in another thread a question arises - what is the power of the amplifiers that were used in both sessions?

CH Precision M1 monos @ CES, and the stereo A1 used as monos @ AudioArts.
Don't know their rated power capacity, though... I could see from the readouts on the beautiful display that they were barely doing 10W each.

alexandre

ozarktom

Jun 23, 2013
I own the smaller Emotions, very quick and natural sounding. All of the Zellaton drivers are handmade to very special specs, so they all have the same characteristics no matter which ones you own. I drive mine with the Job 225 amp so I can just imagine how they would sound with better electronics like the CH Precision, Constellation, or the likes.

Back in the 80's when I was an audio dealer, I spoiled myself with the Acoustat !V's and DD servo amps. I loved the speed and transparency of those. Ever sense I have looked for the same characteristics, those Acoustats beat every dynamic speaker I ever sold. I found out that Gideon was also a big fan of those and talked me into trying the Zeallatons about two years ago. I have not been disappointed since. The Zellatons are better than any other dynamic speaker I have ever heard.

And Zellaton is proving it at the shows. Out of 452 exhibitors in Munich this year, Zellaton was #1. Last year in Munich, Zellaton was #1. In many of the US shows, Zellaton has been voted #1. I more than likely have my final pair of speakers unless I move up to another pair of Zellatons.

As for volume, I run my Emotions up to 90-98db peaks with no problem, but I can easily play them at a whisper when the wife is around and not miss much at all. And if you like a disappearing act from your system, these Zellatons takes it to the highest level I have ever heard. They are very holographic.

ozarktom

Jun 23, 2013
Just saw these new Zellaton monitors called "Legacy" Does anybody have info on these? They look like a serious update on the older Pawel/Ensemble/Goldmund PA1 Prologue, probably the best monitors ever made. I am very anxious to hear these!! Were they playing in Munich?
http://wizard-highend.blogspot.com/2014/05/zellaton-legacy.html?m=1

These should be out in July. With the patented Zellaton drivers, they should have the same character SQ of the bigger brothers. These Legacy's will introduce more audiophiles to the sound of Zellaton.

Last edited:

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
These should be out in July. With the patented Zellaton drivers, they should have the same character SQ of the bigger brothers. These Legacy's will introduce more audiophiles to the sound of Zellaton.

Yeah, i saw pics of those as well, though didn't know the price listing. Were these used in a system in munich or just on static display. The pics i saw, they were static.

Last edited:

redsquare

Dec 9, 2013
Apparently they were static. I'm dying to hear these when they come out - basically a take on the famous Ensemble PA1 (with Zellaton drivers) but in modern guise - stands look great as well!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing