FM Acoustics, meet Manuel Huber, hear a Gold Show Award winning system.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Rob, have you dropped Todd an email? He might just send you a replacement copy.

A copy I bought incognito without letting him know was a quiet as the test pressing and early pressing he gave me.

good to know yours is quiet, I was looking for a consensus before bugging him for a replacement copy.

bvdiman

Mar 7, 2013
Peter, thanks for this thread and the great video!
It has been twenty odd years since I met Manuel set-up a friend's system. He came with his arsenal ~ FMA 811x2, 266 and 222, circa1992.
When he was done, jaws dropped, it was then by far the best we've heard a WAMM System sounded (yes, Dave did visit to do his speakers voicing/set-up too).
Time flies, Manuel has aged and so have I.. But known to me, he's got to be one of the best eared guy in the industry, and at that, a proud and highly confident one too (of his products).
A close friend was his local importer back then, I recalled, he'd rather not have my friend sell 'anything' for the whole year (no push at all) than having him to discount products following the industry norm ~ he administered a strictly no discount policy back then despite them being a new comer, entering a new market, tagging stratospheric prices!
Still after 20 or so years, no SS have quite caught up, imho. Yes, some are nudging close (esp.the few newer Swiss brands) replicating same vein/school of sound, but none yet as matured/accomplished, in my humble view, FMA are still the real deal. And good news is, with most of high end prices catching up/insanely spiraling, FMA will soon enough be considered as one of the reasonably priced one (relative to performance) amongst its competitors, perhaps. :p

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great to see you here Bvdiman,

if you have time, would love to hear more about your experience with FMA. I think you've got a 611 if I recall correctly. What else have you tried...any listening notes ban out what we should expect when we hear FMA? Hard to find! Thanks.

Peter, thanks for this thread and the great video!
It has been twenty odd years since I met Manuel set-up a friend's system. He came with his arsenal ~ FMA 811x2, 266 and 222, circa1992.
When he was done, jaws dropped, it was then by far the best we've heard a WAMM System sounded (yes, Dave did visit to do his speakers voicing/set-up too).
Time flies, Manuel has aged and so have I.. But known to me, he's got to be one of the best eared guy in the industry, and at that, a proud and highly confident one too (of his products).
A close friend was his local importer back then, I recalled, he'd rather not have my friend sell 'anything' for the whole year (no push at all) than having him to discount products following the industry norm ~ he administered a strictly no discount policy back then despite them being a new comer, entering a new market, tagging stratospheric prices!
Still after 20 or so years, no SS have quite caught up, imho. Yes, some are nudging close (esp.the few newer Swiss brands) replicating same vein/school of sound, but none yet as matured/accomplished, in my humble view, FMA are still the real deal. And good news is, with most of high end prices catching up/insanely spiraling, FMA will soon enough be considered as one of the reasonably priced one (relative to performance) amongst its competitors, perhaps. :p

bvdiman

Mar 7, 2013
Great to see you here Bvdiman,

if you have time, would love to hear more about your experience with FMA. I think you've got a 611 if I recall correctly. What else have you tried...any listening notes ban out what we should expect when we hear FMA? Hard to find! Thanks.

Hi Lloyd, been awhile, been around quite a bit listening to some new stuffs, interesting time these.. Rather not mention brands though, as you know how sensitive it could get around net/forums. I'd just surmised FMA sound as one of full on pace and resolution whilst still being able to get totally lost in its inherent musical linearity--live, natural, effortless--very. Yes, bought a 611 at that same time as my friend, circa 1992 (above WAMM set-up).

Since sold it two years ago (after 21yrs use), bought Accuphase A-200, and recently added FMA115 to capitalize on the FMA pre and cabling i already have, would dearly love the 118 but capped my budget--got few other hobbies that need equal attention..:D Nothing much else, just been buying and enjoying more music. Agree, with what Manuel had to say in the video about 268, it has proven thus far to be a gem that has kept my amps turnover to a minimum, and enjoyment of various recording quality/genres at maximum ~ and that, to me is what this hobby is all about ~ first and foremost the music.

As for sources (digital), I've got few buddies that got caught in best of month flavor few years ago whom are now profusely bleeding from their purchases (hard to even sell/trade at 30-50% of what they paid for), and that's one thing I'm trying to avoid. Currently, as not aiming for perfection nor best, second tier products from good established/reputable company is swell enough for my use. :) Rgrds.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wise words indeed...great to hear. Fortunately, I have been buying at those bigger discounts, but it has taken 8 years to 'nearly' assemble the full system. And as you rightfully say, if you get it right, there are no regrets, only enjoyment. Enjoy your system!! Sounds fantastic.

Hi Lloyd, been awhile, been around quite a bit listening to some new stuffs, interesting time these.. Rather not mention brands though, as you know how sensitive it could get around net/forums. I'd just surmised FMA sound as one of full on pace and resolution whilst still being able to get totally lost in its inherent musical linearity--live, natural, effortless--very. Yes, bought a 611 at that same time as my friend, circa 1992 (above WAMM set-up).

Since sold it two years ago (after 21yrs use), bought Accuphase A-200, and recently added FMA115 to capitalize on the FMA pre and cabling i already have, would dearly love the 118 but capped my budget--got few other hobbies that need equal attention..:D Nothing much else, just been buying and enjoying more music. Agree, with what Manuel had to say in the video about 268, it has proven thus far to be a gem that has kept my amps turnover to a minimum, and enjoyment of various recording quality/genres at maximum ~ and that, to me is what this hobby is all about ~ first and foremost the music.

As for sources (digital), I've got few buddies that got caught in best of month flavor few years ago whom are now profusely bleeding from their purchases (hard to even sell/trade at 30-50% of what they paid for), and that's one thing I'm trying to avoid. Currently, as not aiming for perfection nor best, second tier products from good established/reputable company is swell enough for my use. :) Rgrds.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing