MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The three phono's I would like to hear against my current reference...the Lamm LP1 Signiture, the ARC REF 10 and the Pass XS to give SS a chance to get back into the system.
Edit...I would want to hear the Doshi phono too....

Last edited:

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
We are finally going to offer a stand-alone after all these years (the MP-1 was introduced in 1989 so its been a while). This is mostly because customers are asking for it, not because we think it will be better. We've been offering line stages since 1996.

This is music to my ears. I hope the stand alone phono stage can have a low enough output impedence to work with my SS line stages 15k ohm input impedence.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I don't think there is one best phono stage...choose your preferred topology and select from that handful of statement products. It will be a matter of listening preference/taste and system synergy.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The most impressed I've ever been with a phono stage has been the Soulution linestage/phono. The fact that it was built in could have a lot to do with it.

Interesting! I had both (darTZeel and Soulution) in my system at the same time... darTZeel was better (and cheaper) :D
I guess the battery thing does make a difference, as Mike L put it so well...

audio-land

Member Sponsor
May 9, 2015
www.audio-land.net
The best we have heard so far is Qualia Indigo Series Three Chassis Mono Block Phono Amplifier.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
The best we have heard so far is Qualia Indigo Series Three Chassis Mono Block Phono Amplifier.

Johan, your website link doesn't work.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
The three phono's I would like to hear against my current reference...the Lamm LP1 Signiture, the ARC REF 10 and the Pass XS to give SS a chance to get back into the system.
Edit...I would want to hear the Doshi phono too....

I would love to compare those 4 as well. I remember when I auditioned the Allnic 3000V; it was not their most transparent model but I loved how 3D it was. Having had the Doshi I really don't think it is in the same league. Would really love to hear the ARC.

audio-land

Member Sponsor
May 9, 2015
www.audio-land.net
Johan, your website link doesn't work.

Hi Frank, sorry we are upgrading our website since we have added some new lines and products this year.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Interesting! I had both (darTZeel and Soulution) in my system at the same time... darTZeel was better (and cheaper) :D

Well then perhaps I will like the dartZeel. If you ever get the new model, let me know!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I own the tenor, I listen to a lot of phonos but all my equipment is tenor

I think the message here is that you're probably not that objective. :)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

I assume that was the prior version of the dart pre compared to the Solution.

you likely have heard the prototype at the Newport Show which was much better than the original old model, but you have not heard the full production new version. it's way better than the prototype.;)

I had the prototype in my room for a couple of months prior to the new one arriving.

Well then perhaps I will like the dartZeel. If you ever get the new model, let me know!

since the new dart pre's are seriously back ordered it may take a while before he has one. feel free to come visit me for a listen.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
The most impressed I've ever been with a phono stage has been the Soulution linestage/phono. The fact that it was built in could have a lot to do with it.
1 owner seems to prefer Simaudio phono to the built in phono of Soulution top pre

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
"The best phono stage on the market is the TENOR PHONO 1." harleyguy

I don't think there is one best phono stage...choose your preferred topology and select from that handful of statement products. It will be a matter of listening preference/taste and system synergy.

This is stated perfectly. Thank you, Christian, for obviating the need for me to write up harleyguy in an Introspection and Hyperbole Control report.

Detlof

Member Sponsor
Nov 5, 2015
Ah- that is a matter of debate!

IMO a phono section is best off housed within the chassis with the line stage. The reason is connectivity- its the job of the line stage to control the interconnect cable, and whatever circuitry it uses to do that will have to be housed with the phono section if the phono section is a stand-alone unit. Further, the mechanical connections that have to exist at the output of the phono section to the input of the line stage simply cannot compete with hardwired connections. This phenomena is extremely audible and is why we've never offered a stand-alone phono stage. Put in a nutshell you simply can't get them to sound as good.

The usual argument for an external phono section has to do with power supplies, but the fact of the matter is that preamp power supplies do not have nearly the issues with noise and crosstalk that are issues with integrated amps and stereo power amps! Preamps often have regulated power supplies or heavily bypassed supplies so crosstalk noise isn't a problem if the design is at all competent.

Now a reason for having a stand-alone unit anyway is if the unit has EQ settings for non-RIAA curves (perhaps including tape EQs) and thus also has a variety of inputs for different cartridges perhaps on multiple turntables. These things require some real estate that might take up quite a lot of space in a chassis. But if you are only playing stereo records than this is not a concern as they all have the same RIAA curve.

Ralph certainly has a point, at least what my ears tell me, regarding the phono section within the chassis of the line stage. Also Kondo does this for a reason, I suppose. I run Ralph's superb preamp-phono combo in my secondary system, comprised of Quads and the Jadis 200. Since I love chamber music, I often enough prefer this set up to the main system. The sound of two violins, the viola and the cello, if you are famiiar with the real thing, is a bitch to get right, but this system comes very close.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing