Unanswered Questions Poll

Would you buy gear from a manufacturer who won't answer your questions?

• Yes

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • No

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Some manufacturers prefer to work via their dealers...one reason why they have them and pay them a margin...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I would expect at least the first few questions to be answered. Now depending on where those lead..........

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
If on a public forum a manufacture does not respond to any and all reasonable questions about the manufactures "claims/statements" (the other forum members can decide what is reasonable) then how do we expect that manufacture to respond to a real purchaser when he has a problem?

My point is that some people are just nuisance characters with no intentions of every buying anything from a manufacturer that they are clearly hounding in order to prove their point to show how smart they think they are. That doesn't make them a 'customer' IMO.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
If on a public forum a manufacture does not respond to any and all reasonable questions about the manufactures "claims/statements" (the other forum members can decide what is reasonable) then how do we expect that manufacture to respond to a real purchaser when he has a problem?
If their customers never expect any claims to be made and the manufacturer never makes any specific claims, how could there ever be a problem? Seems like a good sales model.

My point is that some people are just nuisance characters with no intentions of every buying anything from a manufacturer that they are clearly hounding in order to prove their point to show how smart they think they are. That doesn't make them a 'customer' IMO.

Mark,
To the extent this is an extension of your attack on me from the infamous Stillpoints Aperture thread, I say the following.

I do own Stillpoints gear and have spent more on room treatments in the last 2 years than some people spend on an entire system. You could call GIK, Primacoustic, Auralex and RPG and ask them whether they think I am a real potential customer. I use all 4 of these manufacturers' treatments in my room in addition to MSR. They all answer questions and provide tremendous details on their websites about how their products work. I've measured before and after to confirm where each treatment work best and the extent to which they work at all. I also own MSR Springtraps which I bought secondhand. I've never asked Anthony Grimani any questions but I don't doubt his authenticity because I have measured before and after with his Spring Traps and they work in the LF.

One thing I discovered about room treatments is that you get the advice you pay for when you get advice about where to put them and how many to use. I have an attic full of treatments I don't use because they didn't work or were counter productive. I should have sought more advice from Nyal in retrospect and that ended up costing me much more in unused treatments than would have otherwise been the case had I not done much of it the hard way. However, Nyal did help me to a large extent in terms of teaching.

Michael.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I do own Stillpoints gear and have spent more on room treatments in the last 2 years than some people spend on an entire system. You could call GIK, Primacoustic, Auralex and RPG and ask them whether they think I am a real potential customer. I use all 4 of these manufacturers' treatments in my room in addition to MSR. (...) Michael.

Considering your long experience you could have created a great thread describing the evolution of your acoustic treatments, how you used technical specifications to model the acoustic treatment of your room, showing the correlation between technical solutions and your measurements. Why spending time in crusades against manufacturers using ambiguous polls? :confused:

Last edited:

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I'm not using this forum to sell anything. There's a lot I could do. I am in this hobby to make myself happy. Okay with you?
Michael.

Considering your long experience you could have created a great thread describing the evolution of your acoustic treatments, how you used technical specifications to model the acoustic treatment of your room, showing the correlation between technical solutions and your measurements. Why spending time is crusades against manufacturers using ambiguous polls? :confused:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I'm not using this forum to sell anything. There's a lot I could do. I am in this hobby to make myself happy. Okay with you?
Michael.

Surely. I understand every one of us has different ways of making himself happy.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Surely. I understand every one of us has different ways of making himself happy.

Glad to hear it as I don't think I could manage reading everything Dr. Floyd E. Toole ever published. ;):p

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Glad to hear it as I don't think I could manage reading everything Dr. Floyd E. Toole ever published. ;):p

Yes, but I am sure you would love to read the first chapters of Part One of his great book "Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms". It is entitled "Understanding the principles". ;)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Yes, but I am sure you would love to read the first chapters of Part One of his great book "Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms". It is entitled "Understanding the principles". ;)

I have actually read some excerpts because of the links you've provided through the years, so thank you. :)

When does a customer become a customer? If someone has no intent to purchase products from a certain manufacturer and is merely challenging the manufacturer to back up their claims/statements, does that make him/her a customer or a nuisance?

he is a customer first and a nuisance second. Questions should always precede a purchase unless the customer is smarter than the people working at the manufacturer. Before I retired, management in design and engineering my customers always came first regardless of the questions asked, but I guess that would depend on your type of business.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing