Bottlehead Repro Tube Head Amp vs Cello/King

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Many of us here are actively involved with reel to reel as well as subscribing to The Tape Project. I am a tube guy and as a result would like to know what if any sonic differences are noticed in the 2 units. I am certain that both Myles and Mike Lavigne have heard both in their systems and could give us an excellent commentary.

Charles King is also a member here and hopefully will chime in as well. Charles if you read this, one more question....have you ever considered doing a tube version of your unit

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Many of us here are actively involved with reel to reel as well as subscribing to The Tape Project. I am a tube guy and as a result would like to know what if any sonic differences are noticed in the 2 units. I am certain that both Myles and Mike Lavigne have heard both in their systems and could give us an excellent commentary.

Charles King is also a member here and hopefully will chime in as well. Charles if you read this, one more question....have you ever considered doing a tube version of your unit

i've not heard a 'healthy' Bottlehead Repro Tube Head Amp in my system; so i really don't have anything useful to offer on this comparison. the one we had on hand back on the November day when i first heard the Cello was having a bad day and not sounding correct for some reason. i have heard the Bottlehead Repro in other systems and at shows multiple times and always have enjoyed it.

do i think the Cello is better? i would say i prefer it for my tastes and specific system; based on my overall experience with both units. the Cello reminds me somewhat of the darTZeel phono stage; the highest possible praise i could offer.

to be fair; it has been pointed out to me that by rolling tubes the Bottlehead's character can be changed considerably.

i think that sums up my perspective.

Steve Williams

do i think the Cello is better? i would say i prefer it for my tastes and specific system; based on my overall experience with both units. the Cello reminds me somewhat of the darTZeel phono stage; the highest possible praise i could offer.

Mike, did you use the Cello/King as a phonostage (which I gather it can do) or was your evaluation based on listening only to tape

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, did you use the Cello/King as a phonostage (which I gather it can do) or was your evaluation based on listening only to tape

only on tape. i have plenty of good phono stages, plus the fact that in my system the Cello/King will be across the room from my tt's keeping my RTR machines company.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I'd like to know as well. I've had the Aria in here for quite a while and wanted something decent for my A80. Like Mike, the Repro unit was acting up when I heard it and the K/C unit was doing some good magic. I didn't hear the balanced version, though got reports that it was a little noisey.
Hopefully I can get my Studer rewired soon and can test one out.

Regards,

Steve Williams

I'd like to know as well. I've had the Aria in here for quite a while and wanted something decent for my A80. Like Mike, the Repro unit was acting up when I heard it and the K/C unit was doing some good magic. I didn't hear the balanced version, though got reports that it was a little noisey.
Hopefully I can get my Studer rewired soon and can test one out.

Regards,

Bruce are you going to switch yours allowing you to bypass but still preserve original circuitry or just bypass

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I am doing something that is a little unorthodox to say the least, but it works. I am taking the output from my Otari MX-55 via XLR cables straight into my pair of Ampex 350 repros. The Ampex 350s were designed to for the ouput of tape heads that had very high output compared to modern tape heads. The combination works great together. I wouldn't trade my pair of Ampex 350s for the Bottlehead repro for all the tea in China (or even England). The Ampex 350s are pure dual mono tube repros with outboard tube power supplies and they sound fantastic. The Bottlehead repro has some tubes, but shares a common SS power supply. Plus it has no meters. I just don't see the value for the money they are charging. Factor in the complaints people have about the problems they experienced when using them and you have to raise some eyebrows. Another plus for the Ampex 350s is they really look cool too IMO. One of these days I will own a Studer deck and will see if I can pull the same stunt that I did with the Otari MX-55 by feeding the output straight into the 350s without any bad side effects. Of course it would be cool to modify the 350s so they could take modern tape heads straight in with the proper gain and bypass the SS output stage of the deck being used. For the here and now, the combo I am using sounds so good I don't want to mess with it. The sad thing is that I believe most people who are buying 350s and driving the price up over time are using them mainly as microphone preamps and not as tape repro units. I wish more people with good decks could hear them and share their feelings about them. I don't know if we will ever see another pair of pure tube dual mono repros that come close to the sound of the Ampex 350s.

Mark

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I am doing something that is a little unorthodox to say the least, but it works. I am taking the output from my Otari MX-55 via XLR cables straight into my pair of Ampex 350 repros. The Ampex 350s were designed to for the ouput of tape heads that had very high output compared to modern tape heads. The combination works great together. I wouldn't trade my pair of Ampex 350s for the Bottlehead repro for all the tea in China (or even England). The Ampex 350s are pure dual mono tube repros with outboard tube power supplies and they sound fantastic. The Bottlehead repro has some tubes, but shares a common SS power supply. Plus it has no meters. I just don't see the value for the money they are charging. Factor in the complaints people have about the problems they experienced when using them and you have to raise some eyebrows. Another plus for the Ampex 350s is they really look cool too IMO. One of these days I will own a Studer deck and will see if I can pull the same stunt that I did with the Otari MX-55 by feeding the output straight into the 350s without any bad side effects. Of course it would be cool to modify the 350s so they could take modern tape heads straight in with the proper gain and bypass the SS output stage of the deck being used. For the here and now, the combo I am using sounds so good I don't want to mess with it. The sad thing is that I believe most people who are buying 350s and driving the price up over time are using them mainly as microphone preamps and not as tape repro units. I wish more people with good decks could hear them and share their feelings about them. I don't know if we will ever see another pair of pure tube dual mono repros that come close to the sound of the Ampex 350s.

Mark

Mark,

Those Ampex Repros sound really cool. Are you running them stock or have you modded them?

For the record, I haven't had any issues with my BH Repro--though mine was a later production model. Maybe there were some bugs with the early ones--of which there probably aren't more than 20 (or 30?) been made the last time spoke with Dan.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Myles-My Ampex 350s are bone stock. Sometimes I wonder how much better they would sound if they had some really good coupling caps installed, but then the damn things sound so good I really don't want to mess with them for the here and now. It would be truly scary if they sounded any better then they do now. I am glad you are happy with your Bottlehead repro. The Charles King repro sounds interesting, but it is SS right? I am a dyed in the wool tube guy. Electrons flowing through a vacuum just sound different than electrons moving through holes in a semi-conductor. I know which technology sounds more like live music being played in my room-and it's not the SS devices.

Mark

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

Mark

i think it's great you enjoy your Ampex 350's. i know some of those Vintage tube electronics RTR Ampex's are legendary and very valuable. my question would be have you had a chance to directly compare the Ampex 350's to the Bottlehead Repro, or other known tubed Repro unit such as the Manley? if so; how did they differ?

as far as judging value on whether a unit has meters or not; there are lots of alternatives to calibrate RTR's other than built-in meters...especially if the signal path includes the meters. i'll take a cleaner signal path and no meters personally. i do agree that meters, particularly Vintage meters from older Ampex's, are very cool to look at.

i'm guessing that part of the reason that the Cello/King Repro sounds better than the Stock Studer A-820 output electronics is that the stock signal path is routed thru the meter bridge.

i would also note that, at least as Ki Choi wired my switch into my Studer, the output is taken directly off the heads and does not go thru any head amp. i assume others are doing that in the same way....so it bypasses 'the SS output stage of the deck'.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mike-Your questions require a thoughtful response and I am also going to attempt to read between the lines and answer questions that you didn't come out and ask directly. No, I have not had a chance to hear either the Bottlehead repro or the Manley unit. I think the unasked question here is how I could possibly state that I wouldn't trade my Amex 350s for the Bottlehead repro for all the tea in China if I never heard it. And that is a fair question to ask even if it was hidden between the lines. It is possible that if I heard the Bottlehead repro I would want to take a sledgehammer to my Ampex 350s. It may also be true that I would want to take a sledgehammer to the Bottlehead unit. I would love to hear the Bottlehead repro and make that decision. Somehow I don't think that Bottlehead has the engineering expertise working for them that Ampex had at their disposal. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think the Bottlehead repro was the first upscale product they ever brought to market and it was/is also their most expensive product. It is not available in a kit that comes with unfinished alder wood that you get to glue and clamp together like their other gear. How many people here are using Bottlehead electronics in their system with the exception of the repro? I briefly owned their Foreplay preamp which I bought new with all of the add-ons like the sweet whispers volume pots and the CSS boards to see what all of the fuss was about. Sorry to say the preamp was a joke-an inexpensive joke, but a joke nonetheless. I am not a fan of tying transistors to tubes. I believe David Manley referred to them as doo-dads tied to the tubes. I think we can all agree that David Manley knows a thing or two about tube design. Michael Elliott from Counterpoint also went through a period where he was using transistors tied to tubes in order to increase gain and he had a change of heart. If you send an SA-3000, SA-5000, or an SA-9 back to Michael for an upgrade, the first thing he does is remove those transistors from the tube stage. I believe that the repro uses the CSS boards as well.

I happen to live in the middle of nowhere with the closest "big" city being Bloomington, IN. To my knowledge, there are no audio clubs in Bloomington nor are there any high-end dealers. I am kind of a one-man-band where I live and therefore I don't get exposed to the amount of gear that many of you do on a routine basis. I wish it wasn't so.

As for meters, I do believe they have value other than a coolness factor to look at. Meters have a story to tell you about what is going on with each tape you play. I use the meters to dial in each tape-both in recording and playback. I need them for setting the record levels when I make a tape and I need them for setting the output levels when I play a tape back. Meters will also tell you what kind of dynamic range was recorded on tapes you play. As for whether or not the Cello/King sounds better than the stock Studer electronics because it has no meters I certainly couldn't say. I would like to think that the Cello/King sounds better than the stock Studer electronics because it is a superior design.

As for your last comment, I totally agree that it would be better and more pure if I was coming straight from the playback head into my Ampex 350s. Until I can make this happen, it still sounds outstanding.

In summary, I want to be clear that I am not trying to state that the Ampex 350s are the best repros ever made. I certainly don’t know that. All I am saying is that they sound outstanding and I am glad to own them. I don’t think it would be a stretch to say that some of the greatest songs ever recorded were recorded through Ampex 350s.

Mark

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike-Your questions require a thoughtful response and I am also going to attempt to read between the lines and answer questions that you didn't come out and ask directly. No, I have not had a chance to hear either the Bottlehead repro or the Manley unit. I think the unasked question here is how I could possibly state that I wouldn't trade my Amex 350s for the Bottlehead repro for all the tea in China if I never heard it. And that is a fair question to ask even if it was hidden between the lines. It is possible that if I heard the Bottlehead repro I would want to take a sledgehammer to my Ampex 350s. It may also be true that I would want to take a sledgehammer to the Bottlehead unit. I would love to hear the Bottlehead repro and make that decision. Somehow I don't think that Bottlehead has the engineering expertise working for them that Ampex had at their disposal. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think the Bottlehead repro was the first upscale product they ever brought to market and it was/is also their most expensive product. It is not available in a kit that comes with unfinished alder wood that you get to glue and clamp together like their other gear. How many people here are using Bottlehead electronics in their system with the exception of the repro? I briefly owned their Foreplay preamp which I bought new with all of the add-ons like the sweet whispers volume pots and the CSS boards to see what all of the fuss was about. Sorry to say the preamp was a joke-an inexpensive joke, but a joke nonetheless. I am not a fan of tying transistors to tubes. I believe David Manley referred to them as doo-dads tied to the tubes. I think we can all agree that David Manley knows a thing or two about tube design. Michael Elliott from Counterpoint also went through a period where he was using transistors tied to tubes in order to increase gain and he had a change of heart. If you send an SA-3000, SA-5000, or an SA-9 back to Michael for an upgrade, the first thing he does is remove those transistors from the tube stage. I believe that the repro uses the CSS boards as well.

I happen to live in the middle of nowhere with the closest "big" city being Bloomington, IN. To my knowledge, there are no audio clubs in Bloomington nor are there any high-end dealers. I am kind of a one-man-band where I live and therefore I don't get exposed to the amount of gear that many of you do on a routine basis. I wish it wasn't so.

As for meters, I do believe they have value other than a coolness factor to look at. Meters have a story to tell you about what is going on with each tape you play. I use the meters to dial in each tape-both in recording and playback. I need them for setting the record levels when I make a tape and I need them for setting the output levels when I play a tape back. Meters will also tell you what kind of dynamic range was recorded on tapes you play. As for whether or not the Cello/King sounds better than the stock Studer electronics because it has no meters I certainly couldn't say. I would like to think that the Cello/King sounds better than the stock Studer electronics because it is a superior design.

As for your last comment, I totally agree that it would be better and more pure if I was coming straight from the playback head into my Ampex 350s. Until I can make this happen, it still sounds outstanding.

In summary, I want to be clear that I am not trying to state that the Ampex 350s are the best repros ever made. I certainly don’t know that. All I am saying is that they sound outstanding and I am glad to own them. I don’t think it would be a stretch to say that some of the greatest songs ever recorded were recorded through Ampex 350s.

Mark

Mark,

thanks for your thoughtful and balanced response. i suppose i did feel somewhat that there was a bit too much 'hitting' on the Bottlehead (not just you) and that for others reading this it needs to be given a fair chance. i consider it a serious product and worthy of serious consideration. that does not mean that you or anyone should not say how they feel....which they have.

anyway; meters have their function and thanks for pointing them out.

if i ever get a chance to pick up a set of Ampex 350 Repro's i'll do it in a minute. i would love to have the choice of using them in my system too.

John Brooks

Apr 26, 2010
Washington (the state)
Rich Brown brought the Bottlehead Repro and Cello to my house. We ran them through a Technics RS1500 with Flux Magnetics extended response heads, Bottlehead tape path upgrades, and Cardas wired direct off the heads. I had the Bottlehead Eros so we got to compare all three. The Eros was upgraded with NOS vintage tubes, as was the Repro (i.e., both tricked out). To it's credit, the $799 Eros sounded 80-90% as good as the other $4K+ machines. However, with the Flux heads, the combo was about 10 db shy of needed gain. I had to crank my preamp up to 3-4-5 o'clock (my TT is at 12 o'clock and the Studer at 10-11 o'clock). The Repro rectified that situation and had as a result more bass slam. The Cello was very close in performance to the Repro. The differences between them I would ascribe to SS versus tube nuances for the most part.

FWIW, I explored options for getting more gainout of the Eros and finally threw in the towel and sold it and the Technics, replacing both with an Otari MTR-15 console with meter bridge. I may, in the future, still explore external tape head preamp options (K&K, Manley), but for now am very happy with the performance of the Otari.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Bruce are you going to switch yours allowing you to bypass but still preserve original circuitry or just bypass

One of my A80's is a vinyl preview machine with 2 playback heads. I got it from Bruce Swedien. I will have the option of using the pre on one output while using the Studer electronics on the other playback head. I will be able to A-B instantly with my setup.

Regards,

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Rich Brown brought the Bottlehead Repro and Cello to my house. We ran them through a Technics RS1500 with Flux Magnetics extended response heads, Bottlehead tape path upgrades, and Cardas wired direct off the heads. I had the Bottlehead Eros so we got to compare all three. The Eros was upgraded with NOS vintage tubes, as was the Repro (i.e., both tricked out). To it's credit, the $799 Eros sounded 80-90% as good as the other $4K+ machines. However, with the Flux heads, the combo was about 10 db shy of needed gain. I had to crank my preamp up to 3-4-5 o'clock (my TT is at 12 o'clock and the Studer at 10-11 o'clock). The Repro rectified that situation and had as a result more bass slam. The Cello was very close in performance to the Repro. The differences between them I would ascribe to SS versus tube nuances for the most part.

FWIW, I explored options for getting more gainout of the Eros and finally threw in the towel and sold it and the Technics, replacing both with an Otari MTR-15 console with meter bridge. I may, in the future, still explore external tape head preamp options (K&K, Manley), but for now am very happy with the performance of the Otari.

What vintage tubes were you using in the Repro? Also I think you were referring to the BH Seduction? I think the Eros checks in at around $2K, not including caps options?

I'm kinda interested, output aside, what you thought about the ER Flux Magnetics heads. I've been debating between them and the Nortonics heads for the Technics.

I only wish had the space for a real reel to reel deck :(

keitht

Apr 27, 2010
Hello, I currently own the Cello phono/tape preamp and can say it is the best tape head preamp I have ever heard. I also like tubes and don't own the Bottlhead but believe the Cello sounds better from what I have heard at CES. As far as the phono stage I can say it is close or equal to the $30,000 Boulder 2008 phono stage of which I had one and sold. I also own a $35,000+ Tidal phono preamp and only this sounds slightly better than the Cello but it cost 10 times as much. Charles has made me a variable EQ phono stage specifically requested by me to play and archive 78's. I have only used it for about an hour but so far it is fantastic and worth every penny if you own 78's or LP's pre 1955. I am a dealer and have a very very expensive system over $500,000 and can say that without a doubt the Cello fits right in with equipment 10 times as expensive.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hello, I currently own the Cello phono/tape preamp and can say it is the best tape head preamp I have ever heard. I also like tubes and don't own the Bottlhead but believe the Cello sounds better from what I have heard at CES. As far as the phono stage I can say it is close or equal to the $30,000 Boulder 2008 phono stage of which I had one and sold. I also own a $35,000+ Tidal phono preamp and only this sounds slightly better than the Cello but it cost 10 times as much. Charles has made me a variable EQ phono stage specifically requested by me to play and archive 78's. I have only used it for about an hour but so far it is fantastic and worth every penny if you own 78's or LP's pre 1955. I am a dealer and have a very very expensive system over $500,000 and can say that without a doubt the Cello fits right in with equipment 10 times as expensive.

OK Keith, I get it. Hint, hint. Nudge, nudge. Yes I'll try it as a phono section too.

Steve Williams

Welcome Keith

That is a most strong endorsememnt of the Cello/King unit. There are many of us here who are probably going to go in that direction.

John Brooks

Apr 26, 2010
Washington (the state)
Miles, I don't recall all the tubes in the Repro; there were a pair of Tungsols (Rich may remember the rest). The Seduction kit is about $425 I believe. The Eros lists at $799 as a kit. Bottlehead will build it for you for ~$400. The stock EH tubes completely suck. I used a pair of 1960's Amperex EF86, a 7308 PQ white label, and a NOS RCA 12BH7A rectifier which brought it to quite a respectable level. I built part of the kit, got busy, and had Bottlehead finish it. In the end, I was into it for ~$1400 (including WA state sales tax). I found the Flux Magnetics heads to perform as claimed, which is to say they approach the performance of a studio machine head.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing