Gryphon Kalliope vs CH Precision C1

Ahsan Habib

May 11, 2014
Anybody compared the Gryphon Kalliope and the CH Precision C1? Your experience and comments in details would be appreciated. Thanks.

sly30

Jun 18, 2012
I didn't have both the same time but C.H. i listened few times and Gryphon Kalliope i have my own now. C.H. sounds technically, like machine, like computer. Kalliope is much better, very detailed byt very musical, great DAC.

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Not sure what a 'computer' sounds like, but my experience with the C1 is that it is very detailed but full, spectacular soundstage and uncanny throaty / fleshy vocals. Not etched or bright in my system.

To the OP, sorry, have not heard the Gryphon to offer a comparison.

redsquare

Dec 9, 2013
Agreed Tunes! The CH C1 is remarkably musical, one of the best dacs on the market with a serious pedigree. Definitely must listen with the X1 power supply but still phenomenal alone. Have not heard the Gryphon but hard to imagine it's more musical than a C1. CH seems to have a consistent and very positive following....

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
I bought the C1 from a dealer who also sells the Kalliope. When I bought the C1, the Kalliope wasn't in the market yet but my understanding with the dealer was when it (Kalliope) comes out, I can have to option to choose either one. After listening to the Kalliope at the recent Munich High End Show, I decided to keep the C1. To be fair to the Kalliope, there wasn't any direct comparison with the C1. The Kalliope just didn't send me a love message.

sly30

Jun 18, 2012
Two of my friends had C1 in their systems. Nobody wants to buy it. The first bought Metronome C-8 which was more musical, the second choose Vitus Masterpiece DAC. In my system i had Vitus and still i have Metronome C-8 and Kalliope is the best of them. I understand that some people likes beef, others prefer chicken.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I have accuphase 901
I have heard Kalliope in virtually identical system to mine but for DAC
I thought the Kalliope was very good, musical and detailed without it being in you face, and extremely dynamic
Others who were there listening were very impressed
This was all running my files via usb
However I did not think was quantum leap above what I had just different and very good
I would love to here C1 as have heard a lot about it
It should be remembered it converts dsd to pcm

I am not sure of Kalliope as i did not try dsd over DoP

Interested in others experience of CH C1

trueblue

Jan 23, 2013
I bought the C1 from a dealer who also sells the Kalliope. When I bought the C1, the Kalliope wasn't in the market yet but my understanding with the dealer was when it (Kalliope) comes out, I can have to option to choose either one. After listening to the Kalliope at the recent Munich High End Show, I decided to keep the C1. To be fair to the Kalliope, there wasn't any direct comparison with the C1. The Kalliope just didn't send me a love message.

Must be difficult to evaluate a single components performance in a complete system on a show such as Munich

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Different price point as well

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Kalliope and C1 with Usb card - €20000 each without VAT.

Oop I got it wrong. I have the impression that CI is much more expensive

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing