Top Hi-Res Files

APP

Oct 1, 2014
There are several mono albums that I've had to master into a stereo album as well as taking dry stereo albums and adding space (reverb).

How does that work, making mono into stereo, phasing, different EQ on left and right channel...?

APP

Oct 1, 2014
There are several mono albums that I've had to master into a stereo album as well as taking dry stereo albums and adding space (reverb).
Something like this?
This is supposedly the basic Duophonic process as I read in an old magazine. It was a three step process, if the article was accurate.

1. Play mono tape, and split the output to two channels. Time delay one channel slightly.
2. Run each channel thru a comb filter, one that emphasizes even harmonics for one channel, the other channel through one that emphasizes odd harmonics. This is the part that confuses the ear, as it sounds like a bass/treble cut/boost. It's also why, time delay issues aside, you can't sum a Duophonic track to mono and get a reasonable tonal balance. It's been too royally screwed up by the comb filtering.
3. Add a dollop (or a ton) of stereo reverb to the mix and print to tape, creating your new "Duophonic master."

I discussed this on one other forum once and a respondent claimed you couldn't use comb filters "like that." Maybe they were right, I don't know. I'm just reporting what the article stated. (I wish I could find that article again...dang it!)
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/duophonic-and-other-fake-stereo-lets-get-technical.321914/

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Funk/Soul

just to provoke a little, here an itunes link;https://itunes.apple.com/nl/album/peace-beyond-passion/id358109200
Where is the high-res version of this? All I can find is 44/16 on Pono: https://www.ponomusic.com/ccrz__CCP...&artistId=of:554d553ef51d4203ad8252362e8e31bf

Thanks.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Another superb sounding recording from Sound Liaison - Paul Berner Band's "Road to Memphis". This one was recorded live in 24/96 PCM, so I'd recommend that over the DSD conversion.

This sounds good but I am out of commision on Sound Liaison. They clear credit cards through Paypal and Paypal refused to let me use the visa I use for every other merchant to buy music. After filling out the form it just gives me a one-liner error that I have to try using another card! :(

Kefas

May 21, 2014
This sounds good but I am out of commision on Sound Liaison. They clear credit cards through Paypal and Paypal refused to let me use the visa I use for every other merchant to buy music. After filling out the form it just gives me a one-liner error that I have to try using another card! :(

Why not make a Paypal account? So far I have been very pleased with PayPal, easy and simple, no problems what so ever.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Why not make a Paypal account? So far I have been very pleased with PayPal, easy and simple, no problems what so ever.
It is the same problem in that both ways Paypal is handling the payment.

That said, I bought their whole library with money I had leftover in my paypal account from something I had sold a couple of years ago :).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I like the whole album, but particularly the first track - "Elvis Presley Blues". I'm glad to hear that Amir was able to acquire the Sound Liaison recordings, as they are superb.
I owe you guys for these great recommendations. Really nice well recorded music. It has expanded my taste in music which has been a pleasant surprise.

Migo

Aug 10, 2013
superb

I like the whole album, but particularly the first track - "Elvis Presley Blues". I'm glad to hear that Amir was able to acquire the Sound Liaison recordings, as they are superb.
+2
What is so wonderfull about their reordings is the sense of depth, regardless of the style of music being played. the 2 new albums are completely different but yet the sound is so clearly Sound Liaison.
Cajan Witmer came up with the idea of recording a collection of songs, with the focus primarily on the melody and have every improvisation and embellishment being inspired by the song itself.
As long as music has existed it has been known to have spiritual and even healing powers.
The group Space Master Silence was started as a musical search party, traveling headfirst into the uncharted land of music, emotion and spirit.
source;http://www.soundliaison.com/

APP

Oct 1, 2014
and the latest with Carmen Gomes
And last but not least, the leader of the band Carmen Gomes, whose phrasing and control of emotion has reached complete mastery. Every word and melodic phrase seems to appear from years of soul searching and life experience. Carmen Gomes knows just how much or little is needed to convey the right amount of feeling for a particular song. Although sometimes the amount of feeling and emotion that is needed is almost too much for Carmen herself. We had to call for break after the Little Girl Blue take because Carmen was in tears and overcome with emotions. You can hear the voice starting to break up towards the end of the song.

Head engineer Frans de Rond is proving once again that his knowledge of mic placement and use of equipment is in a class of it's own. He is one of the very few engineers that is able to create a sound stage, which is intimate, yet has depth and space. A sound stage which you could say projects a visual image of the musicians. Not a ''wall of sound'' but rather something like a three dimensional Monet painting, where you can walk in and take a look around.
;
http://www.soundliaison.com/

Migo

Aug 10, 2013
Road to Memphis

Another superb sounding recording from Sound Liaison - Paul Berner Band's "Road to Memphis". This one was recorded live in 24/96 PCM, so I'd recommend that over the DSD conversion.

+1
track 6 ; the Colonel, is worth the whole album.

I owe you guys for these great recommendations. Really nice well recorded music. It has expanded my taste in music which has been a pleasant surprise.

+5:) That is one of those albums that kind of keep growing and getting better and better;

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Paul Berner Road to Memphis

+5:) That is one of those albums that kind of keep growing and getting better and better;

yep I like it so much I bought the DSD as well:) So +6 that is.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I bought a few of these yesterday from Sound Liaison. On sale 10 euros each right now. I had Impromptu (DSD64) Bought Road to Memphis, Bach Reflections and one other in the native PCM format it was recorded in. I'm up sampling the PCM to DXD for playback...

Excellent sound quality and very interesting music !

APP

Oct 1, 2014
I bought a few of these yesterday from Sound Liaison. On sale 10 euros each right now. I had Impromptu (DSD64) Bought Road to Memphis, Bach Reflections and one other in the native PCM format it was recorded in. I'm up sampling the PCM to DXD for playback...

Excellent sound quality and very interesting music !

Is that worth the trouble to up sample to DXD when the PCM file is a one to one copy of the master file?

APP

Oct 1, 2014

Here is the original version;
I think that Paul Berner has treated it with great respect and sympathy.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Is that worth the trouble to up sample to DXD when the PCM file is a one to one copy of the master file?

Hi,

One it's no trouble...just the click of a button for me. Two, yes on sound quality...I am guessing it the differing digital filtering...not the bit to bit making the key difference...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing