Top Hi-Res Files

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Here are my top high res. files:

Jimmy Cobb - Jazz in the Key of Blue (192/24 WAV)
Ken Barron / Dave Holland - The Art of Conversation (96/24 WAV)
Ben Webster / Oscar Peterson - Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson (192/24 WAV)
Ella Fitzgerald - Sings the Duke Ellington Songbook (192/24 WAV)
Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus (192/24 WAV)
Stan Getz / Charlie Byrd - Jazz Samba (192/24 WAV)
Stan Getz - Getz / Gilberto (192/24 WAV)
Mile Davis - Kind of Blue (Stereo) (192/24 WAV)
Crosby, Stills & Nash - Crosby, Stills & Nash (96/24 WAV)
Crosby, Still & Nash - Daylight Again (192/24 WAV)
Paul Simon - Graceland (96/24 WAV)
Mahler - Symphony No. 2 in C Minor - Ivan Fischer (192/24 FLAC)
Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture - Erich Kunzel (176/24 WAV)

Ken

Hi Alpinist
I see you have Sonny's Saxophone Colossus on, that is a mono recording...no?....interesting to see a mono recording among your excellent choices.
did you get that from HDtracks?
and does this video indicate how the sound is?

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Great choices and I have most of the jazz ones listed. I have the Peterson/Webster release which I ripped from a CD that sounds sublime. I can't imagine the 24/192 sounding any better. Maybe one day I will download it to compare.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Funk/Soul

Where is this available from in High Res ?
thanks
I did a bunch of searches and found some references at Lin Records but no download link. All my other searches led to CD lossless downloads. No high resolution.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Hi Alpinist
I see you have Sonny's Saxophone Colossus on, that is a mono recording...no?....interesting to see a mono recording among your excellent choices.
did you get that from HDtracks?
and does this video indicate how the sound is?

Hi APP,

The HDTracks 192/24 high res. download of Saxophone Colossus is in stereo. I also own the mono Analogue Productions SACD and the high res. download absolutely blows it away. I did a direct comparison through my Esoteric K-01.

Best,
Ken

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Hi APP,

The HDTracks 192/24 high res. download of Saxophone Colossus is in stereo.

Best,
Ken
I have the 192/24 2ch DVDA releases of this one, Way out West and APmtRS. Not surprisingly I have these in so many versions and formats but nothing even comes close to these particular remasterings IMHO, of course

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Saxophone Colossus in stereo?

Hi APP,

The HDTracks 192/24 high res. download of Saxophone Colossus is in stereo. I also own the mono Analogue Productions SACD and the high res. download absolutely blows it away. I did a direct comparison through my Esoteric K-01.

Best,
Ken
How is that possible? It is a 1956 Rudy van Gelder recording. In 1956 there was no stereo or?

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
How is that possible? It is a 1956 Rudy van Gelder recording. In 1956 there was no stereo or?

Best,
Ken
The original is mono, so it must be fake stereo.

Bruce

Was the original recording in both mono & stereo ?

thanks

Philip

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
The Yarlung Genesis DSD Quartet received a glowing review from Positive Feedback Online:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue79/yarlung.htm

And.... for a limited time, a 10% discount on the entire Yarlung catalog on nativedsd.com. Use coupon code "Newport" valid through June 2nd 2015.

Quartet copy.jpg

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
ON a recent trip to the UK, I finally signed up for Qobuz and have been purchasing some stuff on my return here. I finally got around the the Indra Rios-Moore Heartland release. It is excellent in all respects. Great SQ.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Another tasty little gem is Melody Gardot Live in Soho. 16/44.1 and only 6 tracks but also only 5 quid. I really need to see her live. With a new release due next week, I presume she will be touring.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing