Technics RS-1500US

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
For me, I decided on UHA Phase 11S.

Christian, thanks. I went to the UHA website. It looks like they use a TASCAM model as their base and then redo it and replace a lot of stuff. Is that right? I couldn't see where Greg actually says what machine they start with, only that they are of pretty recent (2000's) construction and new?

It also looks like their high end model the 11S you have is about the same price as a new Camry, not a new Lexus, like the ATAE Model Three A820 or a new Tesla 85P like the ATAE Model One.

Larry

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian, thanks. I went to the UHA website. It looks like they use a TASCAM model as their base and then redo it and replace a lot of stuff. Is that right? I couldn't see where Greg actually says what machine they start with, only that they are of pretty recent (2000's) construction and new?

It also looks like their high end model the 11S you have is about the same price as a new Camry, not a new Lexus, like the ATAE Model Three A820 or a new Tesla 85P like the ATAE Model One.

Larry

They are Tascam BR 20. There are still new parts available from Tascam for spooling motors, capstan ect. The only thing that remains from Tascam is the spoolers, the logic control for deck control. Anything to do with sound reproduction is completely custom. Flux magnetic heads, all out assault tape pre, outboard PS.

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
The 1500 is an EXCELLENT transport. Its heads (and most Japanese heads) don't sound as good as Studer or Nortronics heads. Nick Doshi had the stock heads in the 1500 he used at the Chicago Axpona show, and it did his new preamp a distinct dis-service.

John French told me that Panasonic made all the heads for the Japanese tape machines. When they decided to exit that market, the remaining deck manufacturers either quit too or went looking for other heads. I believe that Otari went to Saki (California?) heads.

Charles

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
Thanks everyone, I'm going to buy my friends 1500 and have Nortronics high impedance heads put in. It may not be a Studer killer, but for my needs I think this will be a pretty good deck going through the bottlehead tube unit.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Good for you! Great sounding audio is in your future.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Thanks everyone, I'm going to buy my friends 1500 and have Nortronics high impedance heads put in. It may not be a Studer killer, but for my needs I think this will be a pretty good deck going through the bottlehead tube unit.
Did you investigate any cost difference between Flux Magnetics and Nortronics (and if so what is it)? Are you doing half-track or quarter track (or both)?

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Mr. Jeffy, I believe you've made a wise decision. I have a Tascam 42B. I had the playback head changed to a Pro Nortronics head and have not looked back. I also had a tube playback tape pre amp built for me which met my budget. I could not be more pleased. I am building an excellent tape library with the majority of them being classical from Ultraanalogue Recordings.com and jazz from Internationalphonographinc.com since these were the least expensive yet technically and musically outstanding. You won't believe the fidelity and quality of the sound once you change that playback head. Have fun. :)

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
Rbbert, no I did not look into Flux Magnetics. Do you think they are better? I am just playing with this. I don't think I will buy a lot of software because of the high prices. I have a great system already with top notch vinyl including tons of records. You can see my system on Audiogon by typing jwm. Thanks all

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I don't know personally about the Flux Magnetics vs. Nortronics, and I've read differing opinions about which might be better. The Flux Magnetics are (much?) more expensive. I'm still on the fence with my 2 1506's; both need work and one needs new heads.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I don't know personally about the Flux Magnetics vs. Nortronics, and I've read differing opinions about which might be better. The Flux Magnetics are (much?) more expensive. I'm still on the fence with my 2 1506's; both need work and one needs new heads.

You can't go wrong with either. At that point, the electronics are more important. ;)

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Jeffrey,

The standard "B" case Nortronics heads are the same size as the heads in the 1500 and will fit perfectly. Removing an old head is not easy as it is glued into the two-piece mumetal housing - have to press it out. I drill two small holes in the front of the headblock to bring out the shielded cable. could even wire the ends of the cables to the switch in the headblock and get both half and quarter track. The switch is of good quality with silver contacts but probably needs cleaning.
technicshead.jpg 1500 headblock 002.jpg
Charles

Suggest 200 mH 9000 series (pro) head. John French will do a great job if you want him to.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing