Technics RS-1500US

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
I am thinking about buying my friends unit. The heads are in great shape and it has all the upgraded parts from bottlehead. It has a bypass switch to bypass its internal circuits to go directly to the tubed bottlehead electronics. Do you feel this combo would sound as good as a Studer or other RTR units.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I am thinking about buying my friends unit. The heads are in great shape and it has all the upgraded parts from bottlehead. It has a bypass switch to bypass its internal circuits to go directly to the tubed bottlehead electronics. Do you feel this combo would sound as good as a Studer or other RTR units.

No, it won't sound as good as a Studer, but it is a really good solid deck.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Even if it's wired out?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I have no experience with the bottle head pre and a 1500, but I do have that deck with a nortronics head wired out to a King/cello. It sounds very good. If the 1500 still has the stock 1/2 track head I would consider changing it out to a nortronics or flux magnetics if they have one that fits the head block. Stellavox...on this site can assist with that change if needed.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Even if it's wired out?

It would probably be apropos to underscore the importance of any deck as a transport.
I recall reading somewhere that how the tape is pulled past the heads is where the game is played.
YMMV ;)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

It would probably be apropos to underscore the importance of any deck as a transport.
I recall reading somewhere that how the tape is pulled past the heads is where the game is played.
YMMV ;)

I think even more so, the quality of the playback electronics determines ultimate fidelity. You still need a solid transport and head. That is how I view it any way.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Different heads.

Agree with Christian but am surprised the Studer heads actually are compatable. Don't you have gain issues? The stock Technics heads are OK but pale next to the Nortronics. The Nortronics have a better FR not to mention bass, quietness, transparency and low level detail.

jdza

May 3, 2010

YMMV ;)

Absolutely.

Ki Choi once summed it up very well on this forum ,describing differences between the Studer A810 and A820 . They both use the same audio electronics and similar heads,yet the A820 sounds much better. Think of a turntable,cartridge and phono stage: Rega with Koetsu Blue Lace and Ypsilon phono or TechDas with Koetsu Black and Leben phono. I know which one I would choose!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
You are correct but, my point was that the Otari deck sounds better than the Technics deck and the Studer sounds better than the Otari. Heads I don't think really make a difference here, the Technics is a good home unit but is not as good as semi and pro decks!!!

Given that all three of these decks have their respective stock heads wired out to the same tape pre, it does not surprise me that the deck with the best stock heads (Studer) sounds best. If you had a Nortronics pro head in the Technics, it might not be the same result.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I think we are comparing apples and oranges. It will very much depend on the modifications and the conditions of the Technics and the Studer. If Bottlehead has done their full mods to the Technics, including replacing many of the tape path parts and using JFR heads for the playback of the 2 track (and replacing the record and erase heads with dummy heads) and eliminating all Technics electronics (even the counter which produces noise), and you are comparing with a stock Studer which is well used, then it will be very different from a stock Technics which just has playback heads wired out vs. a mint Studer with new heads wired out. The prices will, of course, be very different. If price is no object, then I would talk to Greg Baron or one of the people who refurbish from head to toe several different recorders. If price is an issue, then if possible, I would borrow the two machines you are interested in and play with and listen to both and make up your own mind.

My experience is that the condition of the tape recorders makes a really big difference, more than the specific brand when you are getting up to really good 15 ips 2 track machines.

Larry

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Just Outside New Orleans, La.
I believe the OP asked about a Technic's deck with all the BH mods done to it already vs a Studer and other R2R decks, that's what my reply was based on. As for bang for the buck the Otari is hands down the best option!!!

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Jeffy, good Wed Morning from Georgia. Just my humble opinion sir, the main concern I have is, how does it sound to me. The Technics RS-1500US is an excellent unit, especially with the Bottlehead mods. This tape deck connected to an outboard pre-amp sounds wonderful. My thing is, whether it's a Studer, Ampex or whatever, if it sounds good to my ears nothing else matters. That's just my humble opinion sir. Jazzbobob

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
What is the holy grail? A totally redone Studer A820? I saw the ATAE website and the price of their most economical redo (Model Three) is $55,000, while their top of the line redo (Model One) is $105,000. I think these are US dollars. Anyone have one of these? How does it sound?

Larry

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
What is the holy grail? A totally redone Studer A820? I saw the ATAE website and the price of their most economical redo (Model Three) is $55,000, while their top of the line redo (Model One) is $105,000. I think these are US dollars. Anyone have one of these? How does it sound?

Larry

For me, I decided on UHA Phase 11S.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010

Larry

If I were able to direct $105k towards an audio-related purchase, I would investigate a dedicated sound room that would be suitable for recording :p
I have great esteem for Fred :cool:

Any remnant funds would be devoted to acquiring the Opus 3 tape collection or maybe, some M50's ;)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

Larry

ATAE had my pristine A-820 for 8 months back in 2007-2008. I'm not sure how the work done on my A-820 compares to those levels of redo. I do consider it the best transport I have heard......for whatever that is worth. I use it output thru my King-Cello. it's been flawless for 6 years of use.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing