Opus 3 and the best in recording

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I was spinning the Opus 3 LP of Cyndee Peters 'Black is the Color' last night. This LP, for those who don't own it is a MUST listen. Superb on all counts. BUT what makes it so amazing is the awesome recording quality. Like most Opus 3 LP's, the recording quality is absolutely superb, IMO. Other HIGHLY recommended LP's are ...Maytan and Friends, Depth of Image and Timbre. All of which are IMO reference quality.
For those who do own the Opus 3 LP's...what are your favorites and why.

Last edited:

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Davey,

I don't have many Opus 3 vinyl titles; however, I do have Cyndee Peters, "Black is the Color" and the same Opus 3 title on 1/4", 15 ips tape.
I'm simply mesmerized :cool:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I have about 30 Opus 3 titles in vinyl and 10 of their R2R. They gave me a discount when I ordered 10 tapes. Still expensive, but these are direct dubs from the masters. I always liked the Eric Bibb albums and I have his first "Rainbow People" in both vinyl and R2R. The three original Test records are a very good place to start with Opus 3, since they are essentially samplers. They are Test Record 1 Depth of Image, Test Record 2 Timbre, and Test Record 3 Dynamics. Maytan and Friends was a long time resident on the Absolute Sound Super Disc list.

Larry

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
great recordings but I tired of them from over exposure, imo the tomas orberg blue five is the most lifelike and best SQ of all the Opus3 records...and who can forget the Rauna concrete speakers that were distributed by Opus3 along with a cool tangential tracking 'arm? (both Über rare nowadays).

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Interestingly, there are a few...shall we say " less than superb" titles in the Opus 3 catalog. I picked up one the other day..."Lagrime con amore"...just not feeling this one.
However, I do agree that the Tomas Ornberg is fantastic.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I was spinning the Opus 3 LP of Cyndee Peters 'Black is the Color' last night. This LP, for those who don't own it is a MUST listen. Superb on all counts. BUT what makes it so amazing is the awesome recording quality. Like most Opus 3 LP's, the recording quality is absolutely superb, IMO. Other HIGHLY recommended LP's are ...Maytan and Friends, Depth of Image and Timbre. All of which are IMO reference quality.
For those who do own the Opus 3 LP's...what are your favorites and why.

+1 Davey. I've been a fan of Opus 3 Lps since the 80s and Cyndee Peter's rendition of 'House of the Rising Sun' is one of the most amazing 3D of a recording I have ever heard. Actually, I first heard it as part of the Ortofon Test Record 003, a joint production between Ortofon and Opus 3 and is a compilation of Opus 3 recordings from the past to demonstrate various traits and abilities of an analog system.

I also have Gitarrkvartetten, Therese Juel Levande, Maytan and Friends, Test Record 2 - Timbre, Black is the Color, and Tomas Ornberg Blues Five.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I have about ten opus 3 dsd albums. The title song house of the rising sun is fantastic. I do wish her voice was a little more up front though. The bells and other instruments are incredible. There is a part in the song at the beginning where her vocals go in and out a little . Meaning the loudness of her voice as if she moved a little away from the mic and then back.
Does anyone else hear this change ?

I also have the Elvis 57 dsd . Myles played this album for as well.
Al

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have about ten opus 3 dsd albums. The title song house of the rising sun is fantastic. I do wish her voice was a little more up front though. The bells and other instruments are incredible. There is a part in the song at the beginning where her vocals go in and out a little . Meaning the loudness of her voice as if she moved a little away from the mic and then back.
Does anyone else hear this change ?

I also have the Elvis 57 dsd . Myles played this album for as well.
Al

I think I played the Opus 3 tape of Cyndee Peters doing House of the Rising Sun here that day. You said something like that was the best thing you heard that day. :)

theophile

I've been listening to Opus 3 since the late '70s. I was lucky enough to buy a bunch of them(good condition 2nd hand) about 4 years ago. Highly recommended. Not the only game in town, but definitely well worth owning if Ultimate Sound Quality is the highest criterion.

Last edited:

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
That " cool tangential tracking 'arm? (both Über rare nowadays). " Cantus has been refined (since Bo Hansson of Opus 3 passed away) by the Swedish vinyl guru Mirre at Veteran HIFI of Stockholm. I have this arm now called Simply Black Cantus and the SME V on my Hanss Acoustic 60 TT and the Cantus is even better than the very good SME. At a cool 2500USD (15000SEK) it is a great HIFI bargain.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I just received the Tomas Orberg blue five today. Sounds very nice. It cost more for shipping than for the record. It came from Sweden. It was listed as VG+ but looks and sounds NM. I have Cyndee Peters 'Black is the Color' on the way as well.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Sean, I think you will really like 'Black is the Color'.
Do you also own...Test record 1 "Depth of Image", the track ' Tiden Bara Gar' is IMO reference quality.

Last edited:

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Sean, I think you will really like 'Back is the Color'.
Do you also own...Test record 1 "Depth of Image", the track ' Tiden Bara Gar' is IMO reference quality.

No, not yet. These are my first Opus 3 LP's. Someone brought one in to our club meeting that sounded great. Wish I could remember what the title of the record was.

Joel

Sep 13, 2013
www.audiophile-magazine.com
They argue to operate an entire analog recording process.
A bit like Channel Classics ?
That's the only way to ensure a full DSD mastering chain...

Joel

Sep 13, 2013
www.audiophile-magazine.com
Has anyone ever compared Opus 3's DSD 128 files vs DSD 64 ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing