Western Electric's first hifi speaker

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The horns below (the black pair on either side, not the brown ones) were the first hifi speaker ever built, 88 years ago, in 1926, one year before talkies were made. A Korean billionaire who is one of the owners of Hyundai spent a 100k USD bringing them over so that people could hear them (he doesn't sell them) They have still not been beaten, because the smaller models don't allow for the naturalness and efficiency, which is 30% at 160db. There were only 40 of them made over two years, after which they stopped production due to the high costs. Around 15 more exist, of which this guy owns 10 or so. Best I have ever heard opera, jazz and classical, and then, he said, people think old speakers can't play rock. We shall see. And out came Led Zeppelin with whole lotta love, and this the best I have heard Zep (and I am a hard core Zep fan who has heard all their bootlegs) - and the studio version of this song is normally my least favorite Zep song. Even those who were not Zep fans agreed that this had the speakers at their best. The imaging was huuge, Plant's orgasms were going from side to side across the room, the guitar was gripping, and when the bass chords and the drums started again with their build up, it seemed the speaker was reaching deep into the bowels of the earth, building them up and throwing them out to the audience. "This is the first and the last time you will see these speakers", he said, "so don't like them too much".

The small tweeter you see is relatively newer, from 1933.

The top speaker used to point down at the audience, and the bottom one above, to get a vertical dispersion in theatres.

The smaller, and then the smallest speakers (the brown ones) are also awesome. I am convinced that if I decide to sped real money on hifi, buying these expensive GIP lab drivers and getting a horn built for me is the way to go. Miles above anything else at Munich, and I would dare say that this was almost a consensus, probably the only one I will witness in hifi. Everything else - Magico ultimates, Vox Olympians, etc paled in comparison. More on that later. Of course, the Silbatone electronics are expensive like crazy, but hopefully normal 300bs will do a good job.

Attachments

• 20140517_163122.jpg
    20140517_163122.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 1,556
  • 20140518_135318.jpg
    20140518_135318.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 1,875

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Jeffrey Jackson of Experience Music helped the Silbatone boys show these speakers at a show a couple of years ago and was effusive about the sound.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I forgot to mention that he was using cables that cost 5 dollars a meter

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
The horns below (the black pair on either side, not the brown ones) were the first hifi speaker ever built, 88 years ago, in 1926, one year before talkies were made. A Korean billionaire who is one of the owners of Hyundai spent a 100k USD bringing them over so that people could hear them (he doesn't sell them) They have still not been beaten, because the smaller models don't allow for the naturalness and efficiency, which is 30% at 160db. There were only 40 of them made over two years, after which they stopped production due to the high costs. Around 15 more exist, of which this guy owns 10 or so. Best I have ever heard opera, jazz and classical, and then, he said, people think old speakers can't play rock. We shall see. And out came Led Zeppelin with whole lotta love, and this the best I have heard Zep (and I am a hard core Zep fan who has heard all their bootlegs) - and the studio version of this song is normally my least favorite Zep song. Even those who were not Zep fans agreed that this had the speakers at their best. The imaging was huuge, Plant's orgasms were going from side to side across the room, the guitar was gripping, and when the bass chords and the drums started again with their build up, it seemed the speaker was reaching deep into the bowels of the earth, building them up and throwing them out to the audience. "This is the first and the last time you will see these speakers", he said, "so don't like them too much".

The top speaker used to point down at the audience, and the bottom one above, to get a vertical dispersion in theatres.

The smaller, and then the smallest speakers (the brown ones) are also awesome. I am convinced that if I decide to sped real money on hifi, buying these expensive GIP lab drivers and getting a horn built for me is the way to go. Miles above anything else at Munich, and I would dare say that this was almost a consensus, probably the only one I will witness in hifi. Everything else - Magico ultimates, Vox Olympians, etc paled in comparison. More on that later. Of course, the Silbatone electronics are expensive like crazy, but hopefully normal 300bs will do a good job.

I forgot to mention that he was using cables that cost 5 dollars a meter

You either get them or you don't but there's no real equivalent to vintage horns today. And at what things are priced today you might as well buy the real thing, but I'm biased! :)

Most audiophile cables, expensive or otherwise have particular coloration/qualities that endear them to their owners in their respective systems, because of that they have no place in this kind of setup.

david

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area

But would you be able to live with them as your primary speakers long term? This is in my opinion the tell tale sign of a great speaker, not one that stuns on a short audition, which usually means it is doing something "extra". When you say the imaging was huge, this sort of gives away something that isn't right. A voice shouldn't sound like it's an enormous larger than life force. And I'm not a horn/high efficiency detractor, the good ones are the best speakers I've heard. And I am also a huge Zeppelin fan, completed my original UK plum LP pressing collection of I-IV in January :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Oh cool. I am big on led zep bootleg of you tube. Better than their studio, I like how the west was win, their double dvd, the page and plant dvd, and their moments from june 21 1977 as captured on listen to this eddie. The white summer on that of my favourite lead, the drums at the end of kashmir on that day was bonzo at his best, and both he and page were amazing on song remains the same that day.

I spent most of my time in that room after my initial rounds and loved all the music I listened to on it, more than on any other speaker. The tune audio anima and the cessaro got some of my other attention

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Forgot to mention, I got to demo some of my reference CDs on this - Bach Kantaten 140, Natalie Dessay's Caro Nome from Verdi's Rigoletto, Candy by Lee Morgan (Bluenote Jazz), and live Stairway to Heaven from How the West Was Won. Also did AcDc's you shook me all night long but that had too much treble so put it off

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I think either last year or the year before they had the Western Electric 16A Horn at Munich, additional tweeter-drivers as well I think; I posted about it some time ago but too much effort to try and find it bah :)
The sound was meant to be effortless and maaaassssive when music required it.

Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing