synergistic research tweaks

Matias

Feb 6, 2013
São Paulo - Brazil
IMO the most interesting bit Steven Plaskin left out of the review, and posted in the comments while answering to the usual attacks: "The fact is, the ECTs had a bigger effect on the sound than the USB devices I last reviewed. This is why I gave them a Greatest Bits."

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
IMO the most interesting bit Steven Plaskin left out of the review, and posted in the comments while answering to the usual attacks: "The fact is, the ECTs had a bigger effect on the sound than the USB devices I last reviewed. This is why I gave them a Greatest Bits."

I auditioned them in Munich, they were the best of what SR demoed. I experienced most of what was said in the review in a short time

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
This is what WBF needs more of...comic relief :rolleyes: SR may actually have some products that do improve sonics but when they hawk little aluminum skittle-like doodads that you glue to ICs or your listening room walls it calls all their products into question. I'd be wary of buying anything that they mfr....just my $.02..

Peter...really? No crossed fingers? Come on now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e-wLEtX86Y

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
To the naysayers. It's pretty simple.

Give them a try (you got 30 days with a money back guarantee) and then you can make an informed (versus speculative) comment. And do try to avoid the dreaded "expectation bias" often cited by the "O" crowd.

Oh that lovely "O" versus "S" discussion again. :D

Last edited:

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Then there's the L crowd...logical

Matias

Feb 6, 2013
São Paulo - Brazil
What makes me wonder is the following. Suppose that SR releases all the rationale of how and why the products work, all detailed measurements, details about the patents, math and physics, statistical group studies, ABX tests, all the ifs and whys that some people want. Now these people would buy the product, hear for themselves and go "ahhh that is wonderful, I like it", feeling no remorse of what they are hearing because it is "proved".

Except that SR didn't release the secrets. And because of that these people will never hear the products, or if they do, with strong negative biases to refuse to accept. Now how interesting is that? External biases (rational explanation) influencing the listening experience?

Flames on.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Someone has posted a closeup of the little HFT doodads and they are nothing more than tiny machined aluminum bits. Now seriously guys...how can sticking tiny erasure sized aluminum bits...5 on your front wall...impact the sound in any way shape or form? The positive reviews have to be CHALKED UP TO the placebo effect or psychosomatic in nature...IMHO. This falls into the Machina Dynamica category...again IMHO..

Matias

Feb 6, 2013
São Paulo - Brazil
Well, speaker horns are just some material (plastic, fiber glass, aluminum) shaped in the same format. Did the speaker designer take it as placebo as well? Oh no, these are measured, the dispersion is influenced by the horn shape. Ahh so these are credible.
But as to little horn shaped aluminum bits that apparently work the other way arround, receiving ambient sound and dispersing it in a calculated way, these are "impossible" to work. Unless someone measures what it is doing and why it is doing it, then everyone will agree it is credible.
But what about listening and forming one's own conclusion? Shouldn't that be the most importat thing?

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..I forgot...when it comes to this hobby logic doesn't apply :p

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Someone has posted a closeup of the little HFT doodads and they are nothing more than tiny machined aluminum bits. Now seriously guys...how can sticking tiny erasure sized aluminum bits...5 on your front wall...impact the sound in any way shape or form? The positive reviews have to be CHALKED UP TO the placebo effect or psychosomatic in nature...IMHO. This falls into the Machina Dynamica category...again IMHO..

That could have been me. In one post I showed the manufacturers photos of them and in another I showed what they would look like on my speakers.

I trimmed a wooden dowel to exactly 8mm in diameter and 8mm tall, just like the HFT. I didn't spend the time to cut the funnel into it, but it is the height and diameter of them as specified by the manufacturer.

Check out the photos. I placed one on a speaker as seen from a distance closer than I sit when I listen (look VERY closely to the left of the red bar to see the tiny speck--put on your glasses!), a close up on the speaker and one sitting on a ruler so you can see the actual size.

This is room treatment???
Just how many of these will I need??? It takes about 1400 to cover a square foot.

Below are a few photos are of a piece of wood dowel the EXACT SAME SIZE as the HFT thingies.
8 mm diameter by 8 mm tall

above, see the VERY TINY SPECK to the left of the red line. That's how it looks on my speaker.

above, here it is closer up. Can you see it now?

above, this is how big it is sitting on a ruler. About 8 mm in diameter and 8 mm tall.

Oh, and how could I forget, I attached them with actual Blu-tack that my daughter had left over from her childhood that she used to attach "glow in the dark stars" to her bedroom ceiling.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow Infinity's, I am a panel guy and would love to hear them one day, can't locate those in Europe. At Munich SR had 25 HFTs in the room, and when they took off 5, it made a major difference. They did this twice, and I went to two demos. They had placed 5 on each of their speakers and the rest around the room. If you call them up they will tell you how best you can place them for the first trial.

ps: Any thoughts on your panels vs Analysis Audio and Soundlabs? You can PM so that we can stay on topic on this thread.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Yep there is nothing better than to read a bunch of posts by those who haven't heard the demos or had them in their system make uninformed comments.

There is an old saying "If you don't open your mouth people will not know how uninformed you are"

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Yep there is nothing better than to read a bunch of posts by those who haven't heard the demos or had them in their system make uninformed comments.

Do you mean you want people to actually use their ears to judge the sonic impacts of a particular audio product?

What a concept. ;)

My personal mantra. If you haven't heard a product, you should have no opinion.

tarquineous

Jun 25, 2011
I agree with mep on this one.

Measurements won't give away their technology, it will give away that their products don't do ANYTHING.

The main reason they are able to sell anything is their 30 day guarantee.

Most people buy after listening or reading a review, where listening occurred. Much more people have kept the product after the 30 day trial period. I have not tried the HFTs but have some of Synergistic's other products. Most but not all of their products have worked quite well.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing