synergistic research tweaks

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Demoed the synergistic research tweaks at the Munich hifi show. They had a room where ask the following tweaks made a clear difference. Take the tweak out, and the loss of soundstage, lack of focus, and muddiness was very apparent
1. HFT
2. FEQ
3. ECT - these are small things, retailing at 300 dollars for a pack of 8. You can put them on the chips inside a component, on the fuse, and ok the sending side of cables.
4. The active isolation bases
5. The black hole, which is a small black thing you can place between the speakers and functions as a bass trap.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Bonzo-You seem to be the perfect kind of guy for all of the tweak stuff that at first glance looks like it really couldn't do anything to affect the sound. You liked the resonators too based on your other post.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Oh it's all fun. I don't see the point of being in hifi to show how smart one is in physics on a forum. I love shun mooks too, and sold my stillpoints the day I heard their diamond resonators. A thread on the mooks on a British forum ran on for 25 pages. I was friendly throughout, the others screamed at each other, and then the mod deleted the thread. A thread saying " it's disappeared" then came up and went on for a few pages. Of those, only 3 people had actually demoed them.

Hope that doesn't happen here, so just as a disclaimer to all, please don't ask me to measure, I don't do that. Those interested should try.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
As long as your having fun, that's all that matters.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Mods not sure how I posted this in turntables tweaks. Please move

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
HA!

Maybe this IS the right place.

I'm sure in a week or two they will come out with a metal pencil eraser you stick someplace on the turntable that has some equally wild wild claims!

I wonder what magical color it will be.

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
I think Gary Protein has just set a new world record for the most negative comments on this and other forums about SR products, which he's never heard.

Matias

Feb 6, 2013
São Paulo - Brazil
SR does several on/off demos of its products in all major audio shows, plus they have 30 day trial or money back for people to test at home. If skeptics still don't want to try, well, there is not much more they can do. Sure, skeptics will ask for measurements, but I understand SR doesn't want to do this because that would give away their technology to the competition. So that leaves the skeptics free to complain... oh well.

I have 3 packs of HFT, XOT and a FEQ installed in my system and they work great. The HFTs in the center help focusing the sound stage, while the ones installed around the room really help the ambiance of the music, seems like a 2 channel system sounds like surround sound in musics that have such ambiance - quite interesting. The FEQ is more a cumulative effect, it helps cleaning the sound, feels more natural, increases the bass a little bit. The XOTs also clean the entire range, giving more resolution to the music, and tightens up the bass a little bit. All together they are a significant upgrade, like changing cheap stock power cables to high end ones in a high end system - it really shows a lot more.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
SR does several on/off demos of its products in all major audio shows, plus they have 30 day trial or money back for people to test at home. If skeptics still don't want to try, well, there is not much more they can do. Sure, skeptics will ask for measurements, but I understand SR doesn't want to do this because that would give away their technology to the competition. So that leaves the skeptics free to complain... oh well.

I have 3 packs of HFT, XOT and a FEQ installed in my system and they work great. The HFTs in the center help focusing the sound stage, while the ones installed around the room really help the ambiance of the music, seems like a 2 channel system sounds like surround sound in musics that have such ambiance - quite interesting. The FEQ is more a cumulative effect, it helps cleaning the sound, feels more natural, increases the bass a little bit. The XOTs also clean the entire range, giving more resolution to the music, and tightens up the bass a little bit. All together they are a significant upgrade, like changing cheap stock power cables to high end ones in a high end system - it really shows a lot more.

Whether you believe in the SR tweaks or not, I think the above bolded sentence is nonsense. Before and after measurements are not going to "give away their technology to the competition." If the competition wanted the SR 'technology,' they would just sign up for the 30 day home trial and take those measurements "that would give away the technology." The real truth is that there may or may not be subtle differences between before and after measurements. The products are simply too small to have a large impact on measurements. Even if your listening room was inside an antique phone booth, I don't think you would see much difference in the before and after measurements.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I agree with mep on this one.

Measurements won't give away their technology, it will give away that their products don't do ANYTHING.

The main reason they are able to sell anything is their 30 day guarantee.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Whether you believe in the SR tweaks or not, I think the above bolded sentence is nonsense. Before and after measurements are not going to "give away their technology to the competition." If the competition wanted the SR 'technology,' they would just sign up for the 30 day home trial and take those measurements "that would give away the technology." The real truth is that there may or may not be subtle differences between before and after measurements. The products are simply too small to have a large impact on measurements. Even if your listening room was inside an antique phone booth, I don't think you would see much difference in the before and after measurements.

Geez I forgot to bring my REW software Friday to Carnegie Hall! How ever can I trust my ears and appreciate the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra without my life preserver?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I find curious that many people claim for measurements, but none of them specifies which measurements they are asking and what they would analyze in them.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Geez I forgot to bring my REW software Friday to Carnegie Hall! How ever can I trust my ears and appreciate the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra without my life preserver?

I wonder what the REW software would look like trying to capture a snapshot of the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra in Carnegie Hall?

Matias

Feb 6, 2013
São Paulo - Brazil
I agree with mep on this one.

Measurements won't give away their technology, it will give away that their products don't do ANYTHING.

The main reason they are able to sell anything is their 30 day guarantee.

That is in your opinion, you forgot to say. Which is based on your own listening experience with the products, I suppose?
If not, well, thanks for sharing your beliefs and expectations anyway. It may really help someone. Or not.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
That is in your opinion, you forgot to say. Which is based on your own listening experience with the products, I suppose?
If not, well, thanks for sharing your beliefs and expectations anyway. It may really help someone. Or not.

Look, all it's going to take is for someone who has taken the plunge to buy the SR doodads and who also owns some software like REW (and knows how to use it) to take some before and after measurements to see if any differences are even detectable. Maybe if you had the full Monty of all of the SR treatments (and lots of the little ones, you might see a difference. I don't think that just the little ones would register any more difference in the software than if you measured your room when a couple of mosquitoes were copulating in the corner. I could certainly be wrong though.

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
Look, all it's going to take is for someone who has taken the plunge to buy the SR doodads and who also owns some software like REW (and knows how to use it) to take some before and after measurements to see if any differences are even detectable. Maybe if you had the full Monty of all of the SR treatments (and lots of the little ones, you might see a difference. I don't think that just the little ones would register any more difference in the software than if you measured your room when a couple of mosquitoes were copulating in the corner. I could certainly be wrong though.

Although I own acoustic measurement software (Omnimic) and have a full complement of Synergistic doodads in my room, I have no doubt that the sonic effects of the doodads would not be any easier to measure than those resulting from a change of cables or amplifiers. Yet, the changes in my room, which was acoustically designed by Rives Audio (a full Level 3 project,) are just as easy to hear and much easier to A/B.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Although I own acoustic measurement software (Omnimic) and have a full complement of Synergistic doodads in my room, I have no doubt that the sonic effects of the doodads would not be any easier to measure than those resulting from a change of cables or amplifiers. Yet, the changes in my room, which was acoustically designed by Rives Audio (a full Level 3 project,) are just as easy to hear and much easier to A/B.

Your missing the point my friend. Playing back some pink noise or white noise or whatever your favorite shade of noise is and looking at the plot of your room acoustics on the software is quite easy. The software shows the FR of your room. If you change a PC or amp, that is not going to change your room response because they are not room treatment devices. If you put doodads in your room that are supposed to change the FR of your room, your after doodad plot should show changes in the FR. If the doodads can't affect any measurable changes in your room FR, I think that tells the tale.

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
Your missing the point my friend. Playing back some pink noise or white noise or whatever your favorite shade of noise is and looking at the plot of your room acoustics on the software is quite easy. The software shows the FR of your room. If you change a PC or amp, that is not going to change your room response because they are not room treatment devices. If you put doodads in your room that are supposed to change the FR of your room, your after doodad plot should show changes in the FR. If the doodads can't affect any measurable changes in your room FR, I think that tells the tale.

That's the key difference: I do no think of these as acoustic treatment devices meant to affect the FR of the room. As I mentioned, that was taken care of separately in my room by Rives Audio. It is same as for, say, resonators by Shun Mook, Franck Tchang and others: these are complementary to, not substitutes for, traditional acoustic treatment. The marketing by Synergistic Research would be IMO much more effective if they were clear about this point.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing