Effect Of Rectifier Tubes on A Phono Preamp's Sound

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
I just got some 417a's for my Lamm LP2, I know they should improve on the Amperex 5842 in there now, but I was curious about changing the rectifier tube. I know it converts ac to dc and can limit current in amps, but a phono pre I think would have very low current draw. Anyone hear changes in a phono pre when changing rectifiers. Currently it has a amperex 6X4, I bought a GE6X4 nos from the 50's as a back up, but was curious about any sonic impacts it may have. Anyone know these tubes and have any thoughts or advice?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I just got some 417a's for my Lamm LP2, I know they should improve on the Amperex 5842 in there now, but I was curious about changing the rectifier tube. I know it converts ac to dc and can limit current in amps, but a phono pre I think would have very low current draw. Anyone hear changes in a phono pre when changing rectifiers. Currently it has a amperex 6X4, I bought a GE6X4 nos from the 50's as a back up, but was curious about any sonic impacts it may have. Anyone know these tubes and have any thoughts or advice?

Vladimir knows how to select his tubes. Used his products for years and the only tube I have ever rolled is the 12AX7 in my amp for which I use an NOS Tele ECC803S (the Holy Grail)

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I love my mercury vapor 394a rectifiers

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
For my Phono Preamp (Allnic H5000 DHT), the rectifier choice has a dramatic impact on the sound. I can use GZ32, GZ34 and GZ37 tubes in addition to 5Y3 and 5U4GB. I have tried them all with various brands...Philips/Valvo, Mullard, RCA, GE, Tele, ect. My current favorite is a 1953 RCA big bottle 5U4GB tube....followed closely by Mullard GZ37 (1967 tubes).

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Wait until one of the them breaks open and you have to call in a Haz Mat team.

Ha! The blue flash when they vaporize is always a crowd pleaser!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Ha! The blue flash when they vaporize is always a crowd pleaser!

How geeky is that? "Hey man, watch my tube rectifier flash!"

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
alright clearly it is time to roll! Just put the 417a in, omg , so mucht better than the amperex 5842's I had in, maybe more color too, but it is definitely to my liking and what LAMM had in mind as he designed the amp for them. It takes a 6x4, have an amperex in now and bought a Ge 6X4 from '52, I will probably roll that in once the 417a have a 100 hours or so of burn in. Don't want to change too many variables.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing