Shredded Beef Taquitos

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Today is going to be a good day because it's Mexican Shredded Beef Taquitos day. I'm still searching for the ultimate Mexican shredded beef recipe, but in the meantime I'm making do with what I have. I buy a nice big piece of top of the round or bottom of the round and remove all the fat from it. I use a combo of spices (chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, garlic powder) and a bunch of peppers such as jalapenos, pablanos, serranos, and habaneros sliced up and thrown in. I slice up one onion as well. Put all of this in a crock pot and add some beef stock to it and cook it on slow overnight. Saturday morning I wake up and remove the meat from the crock pot and shred it (it literally falls apart).

Later this morning I will make some Pico De Gallo which is quite simple, but time consuming. This allows the flavors to gel before we make the beef taquitos. So when it's time to make the taquitos, I get out the fresh corn tortillas and cook them one at at time in a hot skillet using peanut oil (yeah, I like peanut oil way better than any vegetable oil). As soon as the tortilla comes out of the pan, I place it on a paper towel to absorb the oil and then add a bunch of the shredded beef with a four cheese Mexican blend and roll it up and place it on a baking sheet. After all of the taquitos are rolled up, I place them into the oven preheated at 350 and cook them for 15 minutes.

While the taquitos are cooking, I make my world famous margaritas (well, some of my friends like them). A batch of margaritas for me consists of 4 oz of freshly squeezed lime juice, 4 oz of Triple Sec, and 7-8 oz of Silver Patron tequila. Add a pinch of sugar and shake before you pour.

So after the timer on the stove beeps and tells you it's time to remove the taquitos, you remove them from the oven and set them on a plate. Next you put some pico de gallo into a separate bowl so it doesn't mush up your taquitos. Pour the margaritas into a salted rim margarita glass and you are finished. The pico de gallo is a perfect compliment to the shredded beef taquitos and so are the margaritas. I'm smiling just thinking about eating this later today!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Great plan Mark, add some beacon and onion while you are frying the meat, just some, to add an extra flavour.

...one other thing, you can mix Jalapeños and Serranos, but keep the Habanero in another mix, they do not match together.

Salud!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
My store was out of habanero peppers yesterday so there are only jalapeno, serrano, and a big pablano. Thanks for the tips Fernando!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing