Sarah McLachlan - Shine On (new album)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
A video where you can listen to each song for about a minute. I haven't checked yet, but I hope it comes out on vinyl as well.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Johnny,
I liked the first track but felt it went a bit like other female audiophile type tracks after that (sorry just my feeling).
Any recommendations of hers that similar to the 1st track or albums.
Thanks
Orb

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm probably not the right guy to ask as I pretty much love everything Sarah M has done. Will have a listen to her albums today and try to recommend some songs and an album or two. I suspect you're looking for something that has a little more upbeat quality as opposed to her vocal/piano compositions?

I just ordered her "Solace" LP 200g Classic records reissue. The only one I'm missing now is "Mirrorball" and that's because it's a bit too pricey.....$200+ on Discogs.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Thanks Johnny,
You could be right, although I do like vocal/piano compositions I guess I like it to be more variable or mixed; that sounds harsher than it is meant to be as difficult to describe the subtle likes regarding what works for me with regards to minimalist-sparse album works.

Cheers
Orb

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Unfortunately, like most of her albums, the degree of dynamic compression present in the mastering is very annoying.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Unfortunately, like most of her albums, the degree of dynamic compression present in the mastering is very annoying.

Are you talking about the LP's here?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Are you talking about the LP's here?
I don't know about the LP's, but since almost everything she has recorded has been digital, I suspect the LP mastering is similar to the CD's. Not always the case, I know.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

no compression on the Solace record. Maybe the digital version. The Solace LP is used as one of my reference standards. It is by far her best sounding record and perhaps her best material too.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
no compression on the Solace record. Maybe the digital version. The Solace LP is used as one of my reference standards. It is by far her best sounding record and perhaps her best material too.

I'm pretty sure (not positive) Solace is from a digital master. In any case, I probably should have have qualified my original statement to say her albums from 2000 on. Up through Surfacing they have much better mastering.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Great to hear Christian! I'm looking forward to finally getting my copy next week!:D

EDIT: Do you have Mirrorball?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Found a used M/NM copy of Mirrorball on AcousticSounds for $70...I ordered it. :D

Need to go offline as I just spent $200 on 3LP's......:eek:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Johnny,
I liked the first track but felt it went a bit like other female audiophile type tracks after that (sorry just my feeling).
Any recommendations of hers that similar to the 1st track or albums.
Thanks
Orb
I used to worship anything she touched. But a few years ago she took a downturn producing random stuff like Xmas music and such. In the old records, I could not name a single song I did not like. And I would listen to them over and over again without getting tired. They are that good.

My reaction to this one based on previews is that it is a bit better than the later work but not a whole lot. As you say, it seems like a pop record. I am not sure if I will buy it.

As to recommendations, all the old albums are great. Just listen to previews.

Some of my favorites: Afterglow, Surfacing (one of her most liked records), Steaming, Possession, Rarities B-sides and other stuff

She had such a distinct style that is just lost in her latest albums.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Last edited:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My used MINT- copy of Mirrorball that I purchased from Acoustic Sounds finally arrived. It's not the prettiest LP as the surface looks dull and appears to have some scuff marks, but it plays perfect. The jacket is perfect as well, so I'm pretty happy with the purchase.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'm probably not the right guy to ask as I pretty much love everything Sarah M has done. Will have a listen to her albums today and try to recommend some songs and an album or two. I suspect you're looking for something that has a little more upbeat quality as opposed to her vocal/piano compositions?

I just ordered her "Solace" LP 200g Classic records reissue. The only one I'm missing now is "Mirrorball" and that's because it's a bit too pricey.....$200+ on Discogs.

You should be able to find it on ePay for less than that.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing