Sarah McLachlan - Shine On (new album)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
no compression on the Solace record. Maybe the digital version. The Solace LP is used as one of my reference standards. It is by far her best sounding record and perhaps her best material too.

I was always partial to Freedom Sessions on Classic and Wintersong on ORG.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'm probably not the right guy to ask as I pretty much love everything Sarah M has done. Will have a listen to her albums today and try to recommend some songs and an album or two. I suspect you're looking for something that has a little more upbeat quality as opposed to her vocal/piano compositions?

I just ordered her "Solace" LP 200g Classic records reissue. The only one I'm missing now is "Mirrorball" and that's because it's a bit too pricey.....$200+ on Discogs.

We're seeing her perform next Tuesday at the Beacon Theater in NY. :)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Afterglow on LP is a beast to find and runs megabucks on ePay. I saw that announcement a while ago and also waiting the Chad's reissues!
I thought you didn't buy digitally sourced LP's (or was that Mark?) ;)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
You should be able to find it on ePay for less than that.
I guess you missed my earlier post as I did find a used copy at Acoustic Sounds for $70. It's absolutely MINT. So very pleased.

She'll be at Massey Hall for 2 nights this Fall. I'm on Short Term Disability at the moment so I have to watch my money. Not sure if I can go, but I'd love to.

So far I have these CRs: Solice - Touch - Mirrorball - Fumbling Towards Ecstacy/The Freedom Sessions.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I thought you didn't buy digitally sourced LP's (or was that Mark?) ;)

I said with a couple of exceptions because I wanted the music e.g.. Sarah, Patricia Barber, Dire Straits, etc.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010

Sure you will have a great night :)
Let us know what you thought of it, anyway great to see talented musicians at venues that are not insane in size and keep some of that personal-intimate feeling.
Cheers
Orb

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Marchand claims that he's "not big on sound," and clearly the whole audio engineering side of recording is not his primary focus

That's pretty clear on McLachlan's latest release Shine On. The sound is hideous.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Saw her June 27 at the Greek in Berkeley. First pop music show I've attended in more than 20 years... usually only attend prog rock and blues shows. All the songs were 5 minutes or less. Not like the Transatlantic show I saw back in February, for example, where they played about 5 songs that ran at least 20 minutes apiece.

She's wonderful ... and her songs ain't bad either:) She's in a much happier place now than where she was when she wrote the tunes for her next to last album. She played a lot of tunes off her new album. She also played several of her hits. The Greek in Berkeley is one of the best places to see a show in the continental U.S. A good time was had by all.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Ron,
does it feel like she prefers playing to a live audience?
Some people perform better in front of an audience while others may in the studio.
From what I remember took Sade awhile to get used to playing and being comfortable-enjoying the gig in front of a live audience.
Glad you enjoyed the show, kinda envious being here in the UK :)

Thanks
Orb

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Oh my goodness. She comes across as being genuinely grateful for being given the talent she has and for being able to share that talent. She comes across as a warm, caring woman who truly enjoys what she does. She shares many a personal story in between songs.

Oh, she did something a little different. At the beginning of the show, she invited members of the audience to write down and submit questions for her to answer during the course of the show. Once during each of the 2 sets she pulled out a box which held the questions. One of the questions she read during the first set was: would you sign my bra? She said sure. At the break in the second set this rather well endowed woman is invited onto the stage. The woman unbuttons her top, virtually exposes herself and, sure enough, Sarah gets a Sharpie and signs the darn thing. Too funny! Gotta love Berkeley.

Oh, one more thing. She told the audience the last time she was at the Greek, which was about a year earlier, she sat about 10 or so rows from the stage to see Peter Gabriel. I was at that show, seated within beer passing range of her, and I didn't even know it. Her stock went up in my book!

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Wow,
now that is a great gig and yeah kudos to Sarah.
Definitely need to keep an eye out when/if doing some gigs in Europe.
Thanks again and cheers.
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing