Stillpoints Aperture Acoustic Panels

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
For what it is worth, I find they work best when you place them as close to the wall as possible. I have tried them "freestanding" with a DIY stand on the first side reflection and didn't like them there and was less impressed with their effect when moved away from the front wall between the speakers on a similar stand. I found them to be most effective when there was little or no gap against the wall they were being used on. Just my experience.

That's really good to know, many thanks!

Guillaume

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Stillpoints Aperture Product

G Hi, look at the MiniDSP site, they sell very neat 'black boxes' load your Dirac filters and they just sit there, if you have any questions it would be a pleasure to help.
KR Keith
haven't heard the Stillpoint panels,whats inside them?

Earlier in this same thread I wrote that Paul is unwilling, at this time, to divulge details on the internals of the Aperture product. The product is a absorber/diffuser/resonator in a compact 22x22x3 package. No, we don't have measurements. The designer is working toward this but I have no expected delivery date.

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
Earlier in this same thread I wrote that Paul is unwilling, at this time, to divulge details on the internals of the Aperture product. The product is a absorber/diffuser/resonator in a compact 22x22x3 package. No, we don't have measurements. The designer is working toward this but I have no expected delivery date.

Hi John, do you know if anything is planned by way of a floor standing version? One of my reflections is in a doorway and I have a cinema screen between my speakers.. a couple of members have made some good suggestions but it would be good to know what Stillpoints is planning on this front.

Guillaume

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Stillpoints Aperture Product

Hi John, do you know if anything is planned by way of a floor standing version? One of my reflections is in a doorway and I have a cinema screen between my speakers.. a couple of members have made some good suggestions but it would be good to know what Stillpoints is planning on this front.

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume, yes this effort is the outgrowth of wanting something of this ilk to use at shows. But experimenting here and doing demos at shows has led us to the realization that its application would extend, necessarily so, into the home environment which brings in a whole new set of requirements. We have looked at a variety of existing products but nothing we've found to date works best in both environments. We are now looking at separate products that satisfy the differing requirements for show demos and home listening rooms.

John

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
Hi Guillaume, yes this effort is the outgrowth of wanting something of this ilk to use at shows. But experimenting here and doing demos at shows has led us to the realization that its application would extend, necessarily so, into the home environment which brings in a whole new set of requirements. We have looked at a variety of existing products but nothing we've found to date works best in both environments. We are now looking at separate products that satisfy the differing requirements for show demos and home listening rooms.

John

Wonderful you guys are such perfectionists! :)

I look forward to placing an order with my distributor (Kog) once you have finalised your design for floor standing panels for homes!

Cheers

Guillaume

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great music and great recording. The second viola makes these quintets particularly challenging in terms of sound quality. I think you will be pleased to read the following comment about Mozart string quintets from the Gramophone site:

For recordings, there are few and only some can do enough justice to these extremely difficult to be appropriately performed unique works. I think, in mid-price, the Grumiaux trio (with guests) is a safe choice (on Philips, if it's still available, in any form) along with the quite solid Talich Quartet on Caliope. The best but very expensive (now it has been deleted and you have to get it as a collectible) is with the Fine Arts Quartet on the French Lyrinx. The Amadeus is good but it doesn't give all the nuances and colours of these multi-faceted works.

Just arrived!!! listening to now...nice! Thanks, Micro...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Amazon.co.uk

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I heard them in several rooms yesterday at the show with a complete dissertation in one of the rooms by noen other than Bruce Jacobs himself.

I thought the rooms sounded very good

Steve,

You should try to get them to loan you 3-4 panels for your room. I have spent three-four weeks now with them and while I recognize my open baffle Nola Concert Grands do not represent a standard for how to use the panels the best setup for me by far to date has been two panels centered between the two speakers along the wall and one panel behind each speaker on the wall lateral by 50% relative to each speaker (so a line drawn directly from the outside to the wall would bisect the panel). It is a great place to start.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve,

You should try to get them to loan you 3-4 panels for your room. I have spent three-four weeks now with them and while I recognize my open baffle Nola Concert Grands do not represent a standard for how to use the panels the best setup for me by far to date has been two panels centered between the two speakers along the wall and one panel behind each speaker on the wall lateral by 50% relative to each speaker (so a line drawn directly from the outside to the wall would bisect the panel). It is a great place to start.

Unfortunately there is no way for me to incorporate them in my room which is completely draped along all 4 walls.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...Steve-Williams&p=191739&viewfull=1#post191739

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Unfortunately there is no way for me to incorporate them in my room which is completely draped along all 4 walls.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...Steve-Williams&p=191739&viewfull=1#post191739

Steve,

Please do not say unfortunately. ;) The Aperture panels have most probably been tuned for normal listening rooms with minimal audio treatment. As far as I have read in WBF your room was expertly designed, measured and tuned by an expert - I suspect that adding more treatment could spoil its equilibrium. But I can be wrong!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I guess I used the wrong word because as you say the room was tuned by an acoustician and I have no desires to do experiments with my room. Priaptor, that large canvas picture in the front is lined with something called Paradise Foam which is an absorber

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I guess I used the wrong word because as you say the room was tuned by an acoustician and I have no desires to do experiments with my room. Priaptor, that large canvas picture in the front is lined with something called Paradise Foam which is an absorber

I was going to get something similar to that as I was looking at the alternatives for the front center. I understand. The last thing one wants to do when having a wonderfully tuned room is mess with it. The evil of good is better. In my case I have been experimenting so I am very happy with discovering these things. Like I said in an earlier post, I have been toying with the idea of trying these since they were announced and am very glad I took the plunge and "think" I found the optimal location for my room.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

I was going to say it several posts ago, but you beat me to it...in the absence of a tuned room (like many of us)...I think Apertures are WELL worth exploring...but if someone has a professionally designed and treated room, I really would question whether Apertures are meant for that kind of room.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I was going to say it several posts ago, but you beat me to it...in the absence of a tuned room (like many of us)...I think Apertures are WELL worth exploring...but if someone has a professionally designed and treated room, I really would question whether Apertures are meant for that kind of room.

HOWEVER his curiosity might just get the better of him and ask the Stillpoints people for a demo of two stacked Apertures where he has his beautiful absorption panel between his two speakers. One never knows.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
HOWEVER his curiosity might just get the better of him and ask the Stillpoints people for a demo of two stacked Apertures where he has his beautiful absorption panel between his two speakers. One never knows.

Stillpoints will even have the Apertures stencilled or whatever with the art of his choice!

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Stillpoints will even have the Apertures stencilled or whatever with the art of his choice!

Exactly! So I am sure the Stillpoints people would love to give him a chance to hear them given his status on this site just for a dabble!

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

I had a canvas abstract painting hung on my front wall and considered dividing a hi-rez image of it into quadrants then having those reproduced. A different meaning to performance art, no? I cannot remember the name of the technology but it is not a stencil; it is a professional process and iirc somewhat time consuming to perform, involving test printing for color match and approval. I'm sure John can lay out the details.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I had a canvas abstract painting hung on my front wall and considered dividing a hi-rez image of it into quadrants then having those reproduced. A different meaning to performance art, no? I cannot remember the name of the technology but it is not a stencil; it is a professional process and iirc somewhat time consuming to perform, involving test printing for color match and approval. I'm sure John can lay out the details.

Nice...I imagine Stillpoints can do this? I think the Distributor said any hi-res digital file of what you want is all they need to get it printed onto the Aperture.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing