Stillpoints Aperture Acoustic Panels

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Howie,

I doubt your claims because they are impossible and not backed up with any easily obtainable measurements. I don't doubt you love listening to music. At least I can understand the difference.

Michael.

Michael,

Based on these and other threads, it sure seems like you "care what brings other people closer to their music" and you also seem to think there is only one way; your way.

I know you are a gear lover but between all the posts and changing of equipment, "I doubt you" (to quote one of your posts) actually listen to music.

"Enjoy the Music"

Howie

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Despite the skeptical claims by those who have NO experience with the product, I highly recommend a trial by those of you with an open mind and willing to give it a listen.

I have had 2 panels for two weeks now and a total of 4 for the last 3 days and my preliminary findings, at least with my NOLA CGR Golds are the front wall behind the speakers are where the biggest bang for the buck lies.

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Stillpoints Aperture Product

I'm not questioning the improvements heard by people who have tried the Stillpoints Aperture Acoustic Panels, but I am wondering how Stillpoints could filed for a patent without providing any measurements.

Hi jap - I have no idea how the patent application process works, but I will speak with the principles here and report back.

John

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
What I have gotten out of reading this thread is people who have actually purchased the Stillpoint panels are happy with them. The biggest difference people hear is the focusing of voices if I have read the many posts correctly. The people who have bought these panels on this thread are people who have extremely nice systems and could probably afford to buy any room treatment product they wanted. It appears by what I have read the Stillpoints panels have the greatest effect on the sound in the frequencies above the bottom two octaves. To me, if you start seeing a trend of people who have purchased the Stillpoints soundpanels all claiming that the sound of singers has become much more focused and thus real sounding after installation of the Stillpoints, this information shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

In summary, even if the Stillpoints are later proven to have little effect on frequencies below 80Hz but provide wonderful improvements to the midband and the owner's of the panels love them, does that give people a right to trash these products on this forum? My answer is an emphatic 'NO.' I have seen no published claims from Stillpoints that detail exactly what frequencies are being controlled/affected by their panels and warrants the type of behavior we have seen from someone who has never bought them and tried them in his system. I personally think his behavior has been an injustice to those who have purchased the panels and love them as well as the manufacturer of the panels.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
What I have gotten out of reading this thread is people who have actually purchased the Stillpoint panels are happy with them. The biggest difference people hear is the focusing of voices if I have read the many posts correctly. The people who have bought these panels on this thread are people who have extremely nice systems and could probably afford to buy any room treatment product they wanted. It appears by what I have read the Stillpoints panels have the greatest effect on the sound in the frequencies above the bottom two octaves. To me, if you start seeing a trend of people who have purchased the Stillpoints soundpanels all claiming that the sound of singers has become much more focused and thus real sounding after installation of the Stillpoints, this information shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

In summary, even if the Stillpoints are later proven to have little effect on frequencies below 80Hz but provide wonderful improvements to the midband and the owner's of the panels love them, does that give people a right to trash these products on this forum? My answer is an emphatic 'NO.' I have seen no published claims from Stillpoints that detail exactly what frequencies are being controlled/affected by their panels and warrants the type of behavior we have seen from someone who has never bought them and tried them in his system. I personally think his behavior has been an injustice to those who have purchased the panels and love them as well as the manufacturer of the panels.

I agree as well Mark. I don't use the panels but respect the members thoughts here who do and find them to be "keepers"in their systems. I have no experience whatsoever with the panels but am definitely wanting to hear a system with these panels in and then removed (or vice versa). To arbitrarily cast aspersion without listening is not the correct way IMHO. I must admit that when I started reading all the hype here on the use of Ultra 5's under speakers caught my attention.I kept asking myself, how could this be until I took the plunge and placed a set of Ultra 5's under my speakers and as I have said before, the change was startling as I was not prepared for what I heard

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I agree as well Mark. I don't use the panels but respect the members thoughts here who do and find them to be "keepers"in their systems. I have no experience whatsoever with the panels but am definitely wanting to hear a system with these panels in and then removed (or vice versa). To arbitrarily cast aspersion without listening is not the correct way IMHO. I must admit that when I started reading all the hype here on the use of Ultra 5's under speakers caught my attention.I kept asking myself, how could this be until I took the plunge and placed a set of Ultra 5's under my speakers and as I have said before, the change was startling as I was not prepared for what I heard

Steve,

You were lucky because REW or similar packages owners did not ask you to show measurements with and without Ultra 5's. BTW, you do not have panels, but have a very large continuous panel with three layers in your listening room! Can you sleep well without looking at the detailed measurements of these materials? ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
In summary, even if the Stillpoints are later proven to have little effect on frequencies below 80Hz but provide wonderful improvements to the midband (...)

Mark,
It is know that improvements in frequencies in the midband (200 - 300 Hz) are many times also perceived as improvements in bass.

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN

Despite the skeptical claims by those who have NO experience with the product, I highly recommend a trial by those of you with an open mind and willing to give it a listen.

I have had 2 panels for two weeks now and a total of 4 for the last 3 days and my preliminary findings, at least with my NOLA CGR Golds are the front wall behind the speakers are where the biggest bang for the buck lies.

In my experiences, I agree with your analysis of the one, best place to start being the wall behind the speakers. Some rooms, systems, and setup don't benefit much from first reflection points because the setup dictates those points aren't in play for the listener at the listening position. We proved that early on in our listening when we flipped the system to the long wall of the test room and found we couldn't realize a benefit at those locations.

An Illinois client I visited recently has 12 panels in his room in stacks of 3 each behind the speakers, at first reflection points, and behind his listening chair which is about 4' from the wall behind him. Lord, can he crank it up now as the LF are so well controlled and as the volume rises the coherence remains where it used to way overload the room and fall apart. Too loud for me (consistently >100) but to each his own...

John

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Steve,

You were lucky because REW or similar packages owners did not ask you to show measurements with and without Ultra 5's. BTW, you do not have panels, but have a very large continuous panel with three layers in your listening room! Can you sleep well without looking at the detailed measurements of these materials? ;)

Fransisco- I must admit I was having similarly evil thoughts when I was reading Steve's last post about people coming to his house to hear his system after The Show. I was thinking that Steve could have Ethan and Michael taking measurements and conducting DBTs on all of Steve's tweaks and then waving a fistful of measurements to everyone involved to convince them they didn't hear what they just heard. That could then be followed up by a lecture on "Lies, Damn Lies, and Audio Gear Specs."

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I have seen no published claims from Stillpoints that detail exactly what frequencies are being controlled/affected by their panels and warrants the type of behavior we have seen from someone who has never bought them and tried them in his system. I personally think his behavior has been an injustice to those who have purchased the panels and love them as well as the manufacturer of the panels.

From Bruce Jacobs via email to me:
"Yes they work great below 200Hz "

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

Steve

Despite DJ's statement that what I claim is "impossible" and his concrete dogmatic views in his Walter Mitty Audio World, if one dissects the audio spectrum, sonic effects on one portion of the audio spectrum can have huge audible deleterious and/or beneficial effects on others.

Howie

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mark,
It is know that improvements in frequencies in the midband (200 - 300 Hz) are many times also perceived as improvements in bass.

Francisco-I agree with you brother.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
From Bruce Jacobs via email to me:
"Yes they work great below 200Hz "

That is a general statement that does not make definitive claims for how it affects frequencies below 200 Hz. Next.

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN

Steve - when at shows, this is how we demo the Apertures. First, let them hear the room with the panels, then we remove them. It's a very effective demo.

... I have no experience whatsoever with the panels but am definitely wanting to hear a system with these panels in and then removed (or vice versa)...

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
In my experiences, I agree with your analysis of the one, best place to start being the wall behind the speakers. Some rooms, systems, and setup don't benefit much from first reflection points because the setup dictates those points aren't in play for the listener at the listening position. We proved that early on in our listening when we flipped the system to the long wall of the test room and found we couldn't realize a benefit at those locations.

An Illinois client I visited recently has 12 panels in his room in stacks of 3 each behind the speakers, at first reflection points, and behind his listening chair which is about 4' from the wall behind him. Lord, can he crank it up now as the LF are so well controlled and as the volume rises the coherence remains where it used to way overload the room and fall apart. Too loud for me (consistently >100) but to each his own...

John

John

I have a pretty large room that without treatment actually sounds wonderful. However my preference is a "nearfield" environment morphing my large room with minimal interactions into a more intimate environment. I achieved this with some well placed ASC traps. When I tried the Apertures on the first side reflections it sucked some of the life out. Placing those two panels behind and slightly lateral to each speaker appears to be the home run for me. That gives me two stacked and behind my speakers and on each behind and slightly lateral to each speaker with their height bisecting where the center stack is.

I am not done experimenting but I am REALLY liking what they do.

Thanks

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve - when at shows, this is how we demo the Apertures. First, let them hear the room with the panels, then we remove them. It's a very effective demo.

I'm sure it is John. I still cannot believe the look on my face the first time I sat down to listen to my system with Ultra 5's.The change was far from subtle

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
That is a general statement that does not make definitive claims for how it affects frequencies below 200 Hz. Next.
Howie said that with only two little 22"x22"x3" panels "EVERY aspect is more focused, better articulated and precise-from the lowest bass"

In Howie's case, that would be well below the 20hz range. Next.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Howie said that with only two little 22"x22"x3" panels "EVERY aspect is more focused, better articulated and precise-from the lowest bass"

In Howie's case, that would be well below the 20hz range. Next.

Michael

You have to be one of the most petulant people I have had the displeasure of exchanging ideas.

Keep measuring. I will choose to listen.

Let us know when you buy your "new best" DAC/amp/speaker/DSP/wire/ or whatever.

I will ignore those too except for a good laugh.

Next!

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I'm sure it is John. I still cannot believe the look on my face the first time I sat down to listen to my system with Ultra 5's.The change was far from subtle

Steve

This similarly will not be subtle. Look forward to you hearing them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing