Stillpoints Aperture Acoustic Panels

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Very nice. I notice that most of those using these panels are Wilson owners. I heard a rumor and ONLY a rumor that Wilson likes using these things.

Thanks, and thanks for starting this thread.

I was not aware of that info. Wilson owners seem receptive to the Stillpoints isolation footers, so perhaps that leads to awareness of the Apertures. That's just speculation though one led to the other in my own case. They are a very new product and I think for now folks are learning of them by word of mouth.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Thanks, and thanks for starting this thread.

I was not aware of that info. Wilson owners seem receptive to the Stillpoints isolation footers, so perhaps that leads to awareness of the Apertures. That's just speculation though one led to the other in my own case. They are a very new product and I think for now folks are learning of them by word of mouth.

I really like them and am slowly moving out some other sound treatment from my room making way for these. Just received two more (total 4) for side reflections.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Very nice. I notice that most of those using these panels are Wilson owners. I heard a rumor and ONLY a rumor that Wilson likes using these things.

Agree...very nice. And I am also a Wilson owner and have four panels. They came as a result of trying them after the Stillpoints Ultra 5s had a very successful run throughout nearly my entire system which is now either HRS M3/Nimbus or Ultra5/Nimbus.

Previously I posted this picture of my room but my post disappeared without explanation. Trying again...

The size and lighter weight of the Apertures allow initial installation using 3M Command strips, which are removable-without-damage velcro-like thingies. The effect of positioning or removing each individual panel is immediately audible.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Agree...very nice. And I am also a Wilson owner and have four panels. (...)

Great to know. Where are you placing them?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great to know. Where are you placing them?

one behind each of the 3 speakers and 1 between the main speakers in front of flatscreen. It was a lot of fun to use Seal Greatest Hits as the test CD...playing it over and over again as we moved them around and added them one by one...and his voice became more and more natural, 'denser' as a signal, along with instruments like pianos, etc continued to increase in weight where it was clear (as I always suspected) the untreated walls/room interaction was only 'ok'. He went from a little thin/gravely and 'poorly thinly mastered' to very nuanced as a singer with greater power than we had suspected.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
one behind each of the 3 speakers and 1 between the main speakers in front of flatscreen. It was a lot of fun to use Seal Greatest Hits as the test CD...playing it over and over again as we moved them around and added them one by one...and his voice became more and more natural, 'denser' as a signal, along with instruments like pianos, etc continued to increase in weight where it was clear (as I always suspected) the untreated walls/room interaction was only 'ok'. He went from a little thin/gravely and 'poorly thinly mastered' to very nuanced as a singer with greater power than we had suspected.

When I started with them I found the best bang for the buck was behind and between the speakers. I now have two more at the first side reflection but am going to experiment as well. I agree with your assessment about how much more full and natural vocals become. I am finding the same for all aspects of the music, including bass, horns, strings, etc.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
When I started with them I found the best bang for the buck was behind and between the speakers. I now have two more at the first side reflection but am going to experiment as well. I agree with your assessment about how much more full and natural vocals become. I am finding the same for all aspects of the music, including bass, horns, strings, etc.

great stuff and good to know. In my room the side reflections were not as beneficial as behind the speakers...probably my room, but behind speakers work best for sure. I have to admit behind sub helps too.

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Stillpoints Aperture Product

We appreciate the lively discussion about the Aperture product. Some discussion, though, is accompanied by misinformation that I want to correct:

1. A patent is filed and pending but is not issued.
2. To the best of our research and that of the designer's, the Aperture is the first product to combine a diffuser, absorber, and resonator in one compact package.
3. Due to previous experiences dealing with counterfeit Stillpoints products from China, Stillpoints is choosing to protect its intellectual property and is not disclosing details about the actual design of the Aperture product.
4. To our knowledge, Wilson Audio has not endorsed nor does not have any direct experience with the Aperture product.
5. Due to limited production currently, very few of our dealers have the Aperture product in stock. Music Direct can and has ordered Apertures that we have drop-shipped on their behalf.

We invite skepticism. The Aperture product has been successfully demonstrated in the Shunyata/Stillpoints room at Axpona 2014, at Munich 2014 in the Fono Acoustica/Avantgarde Acustics/Vitus/Stillpoints room, and will be on demonstration in several rooms at the T.H.E. Show Newport Beach 2014, May 30 - June 1. We invite you to listen for yourself.

John

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
John,

Thanks for the clarifications...always nice to have the manufacturers here directly. There have been a few questions about the panels affecting/not affecting bass performance. Without giving away any technical design elements you consider proprietary, can you speak about the frequency range for which the panels may be designed?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
We appreciate the lively discussion about the Aperture product. Some discussion, though, is accompanied by misinformation that I want to correct:

2. To the best of our research and that of the designer's, the Aperture is the first product to combine a diffuser, absorber, and resonator in one compact package.
3. Due to previous experiences dealing with counterfeit Stillpoints products from China, Stillpoints is choosing to protect its intellectual property and is not disclosing details about the actual design of the Aperture product.
4. To our knowledge, Wilson Audio has not endorsed nor does not have any direct experience with the Aperture product.
5. Due to limited production currently, very few of our dealers have the Aperture product in stock. Music Direct can and has ordered Apertures that we have drop-shipped on their behalf.

We invite skepticism. The Aperture product has been successfully demonstrated in the Shunyata/Stillpoints room at Axpona 2014, at Munich 2014 in the Fono Acoustica/Avantgarde Acustics/Vitus/Stillpoints room, and will be on demonstration in several rooms at the T.H.E. Show Newport Beach 2014, May 30 - June 1. We invite you to listen for yourself.

John

Thanks for the explanation John. I find that the resonate feature is very interesting...especially in combination with trapping and diffusion.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Bruce told me that Aperture works very well at controlling low frequency resonance below 200hz. Why don't you post any test data? Other companies like RPG, real traps, GIK, ASC AND MSR all post test data.

Is aperture more effective placed against a boundary or freestanding away from boundaries?

Michael.

John

Last edited:

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA

John, I am a firm believer in the use of resonators and have tried several in my room through the years. I am wondering if you see any special advantage in combining them with a diffuser and absorber in the same panel.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

great stuff and good to know. In my room the side reflections were not as beneficial as behind the speakers...probably my room, but behind speakers work best for sure. I have to admit behind sub helps too.

I used to have a long wall setup in a different house and side wall reflections were not much of an issue. In my new room, addressing first reflection side wall points was one of the keys to achieving a three dimensional soundstage, where images come off the front wall and 'live' between the speakers. However when I put two Apertures on each side wall (in my photo that would be another above the existing side wall panel), the imaging did not change but the sound I heard was overly-damped, so the additional side wall panels came down. The Apertures are so explicit in effect and so easy to place that trying them in different positions is fun and very educational. (But not on the ceiling - they don't work there.)

Using Apertures to replicate my setup with a different product had an effect, but only after I finally stopped using my previous layout did I make significant progress. From my experience I'd say don't hesitate to experiment!

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I used to have a long wall setup in a different house and side wall reflections were not much of an issue. In my new room, addressing first reflection side wall points was one of the keys to achieving a three dimensional soundstage, where images come off the front wall and 'live' between the speakers. However when I put two Apertures on each side wall (in my photo that would be another above the existing side wall panel), the imaging did not change but the sound I heard was overly-damped, so the additional side wall panels came down. The Apertures are so explicit in effect and so easy to place that trying them in different positions is fun and very educational. (But not on the ceiling - they don't work there.)

Using Apertures to replicate my setup with a different product had an effect, but only after I finally stopped using my previous layout did I make significant progress. From my experience I'd say don't hesitate to experiment!

tima,

I have found exactly the same on my side wall reflections. I will be trying them elsewhere, such as behind each speaker.

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN

John,

Thanks for the clarifications...always nice to have the manufacturers here directly. There have been a few questions about the panels affecting/not affecting bass performance. Without giving away any technical design elements you consider proprietary, can you speak about the frequency range for which the panels may be designed?

Hi Lloyd - Our many and varied listening experiences tell us that the Aperture product profoundly controls LF information. We do not have any formal/published testing results to provide so I can't speak directly to your question about the frequencies affected. Based on some comments in this thread I understand there is doubt about my previous statement on LF effectiveness. In response, I can only suggest to listen for yourself. Hopefully, further testimony to my contention will be forthcoming from Munich 2014 attendees that spent time in the Fono Acustica room. I also believe that once more end-users are exposed to the product, positive endorsements will address the LF questions. I include pictures of the room in Munich.

Lastly, check the Stillpoints website periodically as we have given our developer information about the Aperture product that will be up on the website in the next few days.

MUNICH PANELS 2014 1.jpg MUNICH PANELS 2014 2.jpg MUNICH PANELS 2014 3.jpg

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
You state you are "open minded" BUT they go on to say "if they are........." and the rest of your post is condemning an assumption you made about "if they are" which you have no clue if they are or are not, which does not sound very "open minded" to me.

I did not make that assumption, if you look back at the thread you'll see another poster said they thought they were microperf panels. I'm still open minded, but really they should publish information about how they work...at least that's my opinion. IMO the more open a company is the more trustworthy, though there are plenty of companies seemingly doing well on the back of snake oil type stuff (Synergistic come to mind).

RPG make 'gold standard' products for acoustical control, and they publish plenty of stuff about how their products work, including plenty of test data. I don't see any counterfeiters copying the Modex Plates (actually made by Renz in Germany), Diffractals (nested diffusers) or Topperfo (perforated wood absorbers).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) RPG make 'gold standard' products for acoustical control, and they publish plenty of stuff about how their products work, including plenty of test data. I don't see any counterfeiters copying the Modex Plates (actually made by Renz in Germany), Diffractals (nested diffusers) or Topperfo (perforated wood absorbers).

Nyal,

You can not compare both situations and firms. RPG is a very large firm, targeting mainly at medium/large/very large acoustic installations with professional installers. The specifications are needed for the serious installers. They do not care about being copied by DIY people or audiophiles, although I have seen many excellent copies at professional audio forums. The audiophile market is a mite for them.

As far as I see the Stillpoint Aperture are targeted to the conscious audiophile that wants to improve the acoustics of his existing room. IMHO their main target should be stereo reproduction and their aim is very different from AV or studios. The market size is very small and the release of excessive information could severely affect their business. Are you also expecting them to release the full mechanical specifications of their mechanical supporting devices?

Disclaimer for positive bias ;) : I have not yet tried the Aperture panels or listened to any system using them. But considering their size and the very positive existing reports from known members of this forum I am prepared to accept that their performance is based on perceptual findings about manipulation of room reflections to selectively enhance and absorb some specif spectrum zones to recreate a better sound reproduction. Yes, after all it all an illusion.

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN

Hi Michael,

The acoustician/designer has not done any measurements and we believe he is best equipped to complete that task. But that is not to infer that test data is forthcoming.

I am certainly not an acoustician, nor is anyone else at Stillpoints. No flippancy intended... but we wonder what measurements would tell you that the Aperture:
1. Controls LF information providing a perception of increased LF energy
2. Improves image specificity and focus
3. Improves layering and image depth and width
4. Improves dynamic intelligibility

The Aperture's initial placement should start at the boundaries, but we have experimented with them "in" the room to good effect. As noted in previous posts, experimenting is key to finding the best locations in your room. Depending on the individual room and system setup, typical room starting points would be against the wall behind the speakers, first reflection points, and against the wall behind the listener.

John

Bruce told me that Aperture works very well at controlling low frequency resonance below 200hz. Why don't you post any test data? Other companies like RPG, real traps, GIK, ASC AND MSR all post test data.

Is aperture more effective placed against a boundary or freestanding away from boundaries?

Michael.

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN

Hi - a very good question that I am not equipped to answer. But I will speak with the designer and post his take on your question.

John

John, I am a firm believer in the use of resonators and have tried several in my room through the years. I am wondering if you see any special advantage in combining them with a diffuser and absorber in the same panel.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
John Tverdik,

Thanks very much for your answers and time. I am certainly enjoying having the panels in...and they aint coming out!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing