Stillpoints Aperture Acoustic Panels

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Got it. I didn't realize until you pointed it out. I thought it was a political statement in an Aperture. Lol

I have to admit...those copies look very good compared to his original. If the black piano finish frames look good...these could be made to look like photos you took and framed. Quite cool.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Occam

[Industry Expert]
Dec 15, 2010
NYC

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I have 4 of the Apertures in my room at the moment, on loan from my dealer.

I have two behind the speakers and two on my front wall next to each other in between my speakers. All are approx 22inches off the ground.

They are very good and like others have mentioned do create better focus and are very good at making the singer clearer in the vocal delivery.

I find they do nothing in low bass. I have bass issues with my room and the Deqx in comparison provides significant help and easily discernible under 200hz to 400hz depending on the filter used. A 3db reduction under 200hz is even more noticeable when the recording has bass. The Apertures provide no help in this area. Having another 2 behind the speaker may be of benefit, however these things are not cheap.

In my room they are very good at providing better focus, clarity and transparency - they sort of sound right, quieter. IMO they are operating in the upper bass, MIDs and lower treble.

If you have bass gain issues, IMO these isnot the product to help, but obove those frequencies, I have heard positives and will continue to experiment with other placements.

Only my opinion thou.

Bill Demars

Apr 28, 2010
East Greenbush, N.Y.
www.beautyofsound.com
I have had eight Aperture's for at least a month or so now-thanks guys at Stillpoints. A customer of mine wanted to hear what one panel would do in his room so I started with six panels as to keep everything symmetrical. I started off with just one panel dead center between the speakers and nestled up against the wall. This to me, if you are going with one panel is the place to put it. I immediately noticed more of a sense of layering than before. I put the other five panels in-one behind each speaker, one at each reflection point, and one behind my listening seat on the wall. With the addition of each panel the positives continues to grow. I played a familiar cut with them in and took them all out and re-listened. Soundstage flat-city without them. Layered and 3D with them. When I got my 8th panel I wasn't expecting to hear much but putting the 7th and 8th at the rear wall behind my head was crazy. I have taken them in and out at least a few times, and for sure can't live without them. This upcoming week I am going to get 8 adjustable stands and attempt to max them out-going side to side and up and down.
I did not like them stacked at the first reflection point-sucked the life out of the music. So I have not stacked them anywhere.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
While they did some nice things, they did not change any fundamentals of the room in the bass frequencies.

I could easily live without them so returned them

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have 4 of the Apertures in my room at the moment, on loan from my dealer.

I have two behind the speakers and two on my front wall next to each other in between my speakers. All are approx 22inches off the ground.

They are very good and like others have mentioned do create better focus and are very good at making the singer clearer in the vocal delivery.

I find they do nothing in low bass. I have bass issues with my room and the Deqx in comparison provides significant help and easily discernible under 200hz to 400hz depending on the filter used. A 3db reduction under 200hz is even more noticeable when the recording has bass. The Apertures provide no help in this area. Having another 2 behind the speaker may be of benefit, however these things are not cheap.

In my room they are very good at providing better focus, clarity and transparency - they sort of sound right, quieter. IMO they are operating in the upper bass, MIDs and lower treble.

If you have bass gain issues, IMO these isnot the product to help, but obove those frequencies, I have heard positives and will continue to experiment with other placements.

Only my opinion thou.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year's! Great to hear from you. Pretty much mirrors my own experience...but because they did wonderful things in those mid and upper ranges, i kept mine. 3 in front and 1 behind.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have had eight Aperture's for at least a month or so now-thanks guys at Stillpoints. A customer of mine wanted to hear what one panel would do in his room so I started with six panels as to keep everything symmetrical. I started off with just one panel dead center between the speakers and nestled up against the wall. This to me, if you are going with one panel is the place to put it. I immediately noticed more of a sense of layering than before. I put the other five panels in-one behind each speaker, one at each reflection point, and one behind my listening seat on the wall. With the addition of each panel the positives continues to grow. I played a familiar cut with them in and took them all out and re-listened. Soundstage flat-city without them. Layered and 3D with them. When I got my 8th panel I wasn't expecting to hear much but putting the 7th and 8th at the rear wall behind my head was crazy. I have taken them in and out at least a few times, and for sure can't live without them. This upcoming week I am going to get 8 adjustable stands and attempt to max them out-going side to side and up and down.
I did not like them stacked at the first reflection point-sucked the life out of the music. So I have not stacked them anywhere.

Also concur with many of your observations...i elected not to stack...i found my favorite was the one dead center. Thanks for posting. Great to read.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Adding three on the back wall to the others in my room pulled the soundstage forward while not changing its depth behind my speakers. This meant greater overall soundstage dimensionality. These are keepers....

If i could try this (we have windows behind so we have shades down and want to block light)...i would...so good to know for future reference.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Gentlemen, lets see some photos of the set ups.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
image.jpg
image.jpg
My friend system, Audio note M10 signature ( best pre in my book ) , Gakuon , Reimyo KAP-777 ( very good, better than Gakuon in my opinion ) , Esoteric top model with clock , Sperling with axiom arm , Siltech double crown , finite element emperor , Ktema speaker. Top end stuff . Syst sounded ok . However when my friend experimented with Stillpoint aperture & realtraps Mondo , it's as though steroid is injected into the syst. The imaging improve drastically , soundstage is so wide that it stretches beyond the walls& Ktema can really rock even thought it's bass drivers is only 8" .
Stillpoints aperture do work . Now I m eagerly waiting to test it out in my audio room once my other acoustic treatment is done ( mainly DIY, QRD! PRD & SMT Varitune )

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Quite a setup! Thanks for posting.

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
Shakti Hallographs and AIR easier placement when walls are uneven/unavailable

When I started with them I found the best bang for the buck was behind and between the speakers. I now have two more at the first side reflection but am going to experiment as well. I agree with your assessment about how much more full and natural vocals become. I am finding the same for all aspects of the music, including bass, horns, strings, etc.

I am using Shakti products for room control. I have slap echo from undamped ceilings (vaulted 12.5') in a 23' X 25' room with 6" slab/carpet/8"-12" thick multi-panel staggered stud side walls. There is no room on my side walls. The Hallographs are behind and to the outside of the speakers and another pair are at the first side wall echo. This focuses my sound just right with repeatable changes due to the numbering on the top array. Then I added the new Shakti AIR which eliminates RF and EM distortion caused by the speaker drivers themselves. I doubt that the Stillpoint panels will have much of an effect since I have controlled the environment so much with the Shakti treatments. I use Stillpoints, mostly ultra-minis, under my equipment and power conditioner to great effect (Stillpoints for mini-electrical/transformer vibrations and Shakti for maxi-airborne/electrical vibrations).

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I ordered 4 Apertures. Going to try them out centered behind the speakers in place of a couple of stacked 16" round ASC tube traps. Should be interesting to see what they can do compared to the tube traps. They're apparently back ordered a few weeks.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I ordered 4 Apertures. Going to try them out centered behind the speakers in place of a couple of stacked 16" round ASC tube traps. Should be interesting to see what they can do compared to the tube traps. They're apparently back ordered a few weeks.

Great stuff...i have four now and really enjoy them.

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Stillpoints Aperture Availabilty

... They're apparently back ordered a few weeks.

We are in process switching vendors that produce the Aperture product for us. Our original vendor could not get past production issues that produced a low yield for the level of quality we require. We have a rather large order in to the new vendor but I do not have a timetable when we'll have stock again so that we can ship same day as purchase orders come in from our dealers and distributors. We are confident we have solved the production issues so now it's a matter of catching up to demand. If other issues arise I will keep WBF apprised.

John

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Temporarily installed 4 panels today. At first listen, soundstage a bit wider and deeper, better defined. Overall sound a little smoother, in a good way. I'm experimenting with tube traps around them now. Still definitely better with the traps included. In fact, better sound with the 16" traps flanking the Apertures than with the 9".

image.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great stuff, Frank. Congrats. A big fan of Apertures myself...2 behind the Wilsons, 1 in between and 1 for Sub. The 1 for Sub has a marginal difference but not huge...but the front 3 are worth every penny for me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing