Stillpoints Aperture Acoustic Panels

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
<thread tangent> Holy Smokes Frank, thats some system you have there! Did you by chance try the ARC Ref Phono 2 SE before getting the Ref10 Phono? I have the Ref10 pre, considering an ARC phono. You obviously like pairing Pass with ARC, what other SS amps have you tried with your Ref10? <end tangent>

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
<thread tangent> Holy Smokes Frank, thats some system you have there! Did you by chance try the ARC Ref Phono 2 SE before getting the Ref10 Phono? I have the Ref10 pre, considering an ARC phono. You obviously like pairing Pass with ARC, what other SS amps have you tried with your Ref10? <end tangent>

I had the Ref 2, not SE back when it first came out. I had it with the Ref 40 and Ref 610s though so can't really help you with a direct comparison. I can tell you the Ref 10 Phono is absolutely superb as is the preamp, but I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know. I took the Pass Xs pre out to insert the Ref 10 and I'm very happy with my decision.

Oh, and I will say, get the Ref 10s to 500 hours as quickly as possible because you're not hearing them anywhere close to their best until then. I've been amazed at the improvement even between 450 and 500 hours.

Ok, sorry for side tracking the thread. Back to Apertures.

Last edited:

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I'm curious about the description of the Apertures as an absorber, resonator, and diffuser blended into one panel. Is this a new design? Is this the first time in the history of acoustic design that panels have been designed to function in all three of these parameters in one panel? Or is there a similar design available?

I wonder what the downside, if any, there might be of combining these functions into one panel?
If this is such an effective solution, why is it that no acoustic designer has ever sought to combine the three functions before now?

Jose Almagro

Dec 10, 2010
Madrid (Spain)
www.mundohifi.com
I wonder what the downside, if any, there might be of combining these functions into one panel?
If this is such an effective solution, why is it that no acoustic designer has ever sought to combine the three functions before now?

Resonators are absorbers, so your three functions became two. You can't diffuse what you absorbed, so... you can only diffuse the fraction of energy you don't absorb so when I hear about "3 in 1" solutions I can only think in marketing.

I'd suggest you to research what's wrong with your room and find the right material, not the best one as it doesn't exist.

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
What is the best way to audition your panels? Start with one or two?

I am no longer in Stillpoints' employ. Please direct questions to their website or call them directly.

John

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
What is the best way to attach them to a wall? Is there an easy way to hang them?

They come with some kind of velcro strips that affix to the wall and then velcro to the back of the panel. I would have thought hanging them properly with hook/nail and then perhaps adding rubber tips to the bottom of the frame so it does not move or slip would be better?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
They come with some kind of velcro strips that affix to the wall and then velcro to the back of the panel. I would have thought hanging them properly with hook/nail and then perhaps adding rubber tips to the bottom of the frame so it does not move or slip would be better?

The Velcro is really for temporary placement. Once you've decided where you want to permanently place them, they have a solid metal hanging system which secures them in place nicely.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The Velcro is really for temporary placement. Once you've decided where you want to permanently place them, they have a solid metal hanging system which secures them in place nicely.

There you go...thanks, Frank.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You can also put them on a stand:

View attachment 30858

Thanks for this picture...i actually have 3 stacked as well...but temporarily since they are not attached to any stand. I have asked the distributor for something even more basic than what is shown above since the space behind the speakers where the 3 sit (3 behind each speaker) is slightly tight with the big TA Opus Network boxes, etc.

Do you know how these 3 attach to this stand?

mountainjoe

Industry Expert
Mar 25, 2015
Bay Area, California
eigenaudio.com
Do you know how these 3 attach to this stand?

They attach to the stands using the same grooved donut thingy they give you for wall attachment - the donuts attach to a threaded plate that slides in the track so you can adjust them up or down. The stands are well designed but pricey for a simple extruded aluminum frame imo...

You could easily make your own that function just as well for a few bucks worth of extrusions and some hardware.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
They attach to the stands using the same grooved donut thingy they give you for wall attachment - the donuts attach to a threaded plate that slides in the track so you can adjust them up or down. The stands are well designed but pricey for a simple extruded aluminum frame imo...

You could easily make your own that function just as well for a few bucks worth of extrusions and some hardware.

thanks!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You can find best acoustic panels here: fabric acoustic panels Fabric acoustic panels are traditional acoustical treatment boards. Our resin frame fabric sound panels are produced under new technology which largely increases production efficiency and reduces the cost.

Nice...thanks!

barbz127

Jun 4, 2022
It's been a couple of years since the last updates here and nearly ten since the original flurry of posts.

Any feedback from recent aperture owners?

Any further comment on how they perform in the lower registers or even better has anyone been able to run any rew measurements with and without?

Curious about these for a nearfield setup as they claim to be a do it all panel plus the finish makes it idea for the space they are going into.

Thankyou

djsina2

May 30, 2019
It's been a couple of years since the last updates here and nearly ten since the original flurry of posts.

Any feedback from recent aperture owners?

Any further comment on how they perform in the lower registers or even better has anyone been able to run any rew measurements with and without?

Curious about these for a nearfield setup as they claim to be a do it all panel plus the finish makes it idea for the space they are going into.

Thankyou
I just bought 3 of these for a small room in near field setup. Two close to the speakers angled in to face the speaker and one on the wall behind my head. I have a very strange (bad) room and the improvement these made were somewhat shocking. It all came together when I faced them into the speakers. Bass definition was one of the most obvious improvements.

barbz127

Jun 4, 2022
I just bought 3 of these for a small room in near field setup. Two close to the speakers angled in to face the speaker and one on the wall behind my head. I have a very strange (bad) room and the improvement these made were somewhat shocking. It all came together when I faced them into the speakers. Bass definition was one of the most obvious improvements.
Thankyou for sharing.

Have you found these have had any impact on boomy bass?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing