Stillpoints Aperture Acoustic Panels

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Bought my first and placed them stacked behind my speakers dead center. Believe their hype!

Just ordered another two for my side reflections.

I have no financial affiliation with Stillpoints other than they have caused me some well deserved financial hardship.

This may be one of the more revolutionary audio products I have been exposed to.

If you can find them as they are currently in short supply I would highly recommend an audition and make sure you have some money or credit after the audition as this is, at least to me, a no brainer.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello and good evening to you, Priaptor. Thanks for sharing. What was the most impressive end result improvement you noticed with your rig?

Tom

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Hello and good evening to you, Priaptor. Thanks for sharing. What was the most impressive end result improvement you noticed with your rig?

Tom

I hate to generalize and be diffuse but every aspect.

I am fortunate to have a large and optimally sized room to start so I bought these things with some trepidation not thinking I could get much.

Every aspect and I mean EVERY aspect is more focused, better articulated and precise-from the lowest bass to the highest frequencies.

Timbre is so extraordinary and imaging like I have never experienced. Not only are the musicians/instruments so properly spaced in 3 dimensions placed but with duos/duets I can literally determine the direction of the performer.

The first location of placement recommended by the Stillpoints people is where I have them. "Phase II " as recommended is first side reflection which is coming next week.

I have a bunch of appropriately placed ASC tubes which are now being dismantled as these panels seem to deal effectively with everything.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I hate to generalize and be diffuse but every aspect.

I am fortunate to have a large and optimally sized room to start so I bought these things with some trepidation not thinking I could get much.

Every aspect and I mean EVERY aspect is more focused, better articulated and precise-from the lowest bass to the highest frequencies.

Timbre is so extraordinary and imaging like I have never experienced. Not only are the musicians/instruments so properly spaced in 3 dimensions placed but with duos/duets I can literally determine the direction of the performer.

The first location of placement recommended by the Stillpoints people is where I have them. "Phase II " as recommended is first side reflection which is coming next week.

I have a bunch of appropriately placed ASC tubes which are now being dismantled as these panels seem to deal effectively with everything.

I'm intrigued. Do you have pictures?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Bought my first and placed them stacked behind my speakers dead center. Believe their hype! (...)

Thanks - the information about these panels is still very scarce - and we can not forget that as far as I remember your speakers are line dipoles with strong back radiation.
One of the important issues with acoustic panels is the extension and uniformity of absorption and diffusion, and the dependence of these parameters on the angle of incidence. Let us hope that Stillpoints will supply us with some technical data.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Thanks - the information about these panels is still very scarce - and we can not forget that as far as I remember your speakers are line dipoles with strong back radiation.
One of the important issues with acoustic panels is the extension and uniformity of absorption and diffusion, and the dependence of these parameters on the angle of incidence. Let us hope that Stillpoints will supply us with some technical data.

Very true. However I know they have done some tremendous room treatments specifically with Wilson with XLF and Alexias with great success. My "sources" tell me Wilson got rid of their ASC and RPG in a big room for 5 of these.

In any case I don't recommend people being impulsive like me and give a listen when they are in large enough supply that one can actually audition prior to purchasing.

I am hoping my other two will be here on Monday although my credit card hadn't yet been charged.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
What's MSRP for these panels

$600/panel and another 100 if you want them to use a cloth covering of a personal high resolution print so it looks like a painting or photograph.

I know Wilson successfully used 3 in their Alexia room and 5 in their XLF/Thor room.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
$600/panel and another 100 if you want them to use a cloth covering of a personal high resolution print so it looks like a painting or photograph.

I know Wilson successfully used 3 in their Alexia room and 5 in their XLF/Thor room.

I find that very interesting inasmuch as we zealots who placed Ultra 5's under our Wilson speakers with such great results found that it didn't catch on with the folks at Wilson

How big are the panels

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I find that very interesting inasmuch as we zealots who placed Ultra 5's under our Wilson speakers with such great results found that it didn't catch on with the folks at Wilson

How big are the panels

I believe they are 22x22" framed in Mahogony, cherry or oak. Standard cloth is off white or black but as I said the cloth can be customized to a picture for an $100.

Right now I have two stacked centered behind my Nola Concert Grands.

I believe this is a product we will be hearing much more about. I am married to no product I own and have had my share of mistakes in this crazy hobby BUT my "compulsive" purchase of these panels was not one of them.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I remain skeptical that they will outperform RPG Skylines which I use with great success. They are certainly more expensive. I can get 2 - 2'x2' Skylines for $350.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I remain skeptical that they will outperform RPG Skylines which I use with great success. They are certainly more expensive. I can get 2 - 2'x2' Skylines for $350.

Most of us are skeptical when it comes to this stuff until we hear it for ourselves.

Few people I know have spent as much time and money building sound rooms and treating them as much as me. Assuming ones basic room is "good" dimensionally for sound this is one of the better and for me the best sound treatment product I have used since the mid 80s.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Great stuff Priaptor. I use 4 myself...one behind each X1 and Velodyne plus in between the speakers/in front of the flatscreen. Absolutely wonderful. The best change was that Seal Greatest Hits went from having a slightly bright stridency when he belts to a surprisingly 'organic' quality to the tune including his voice which suddenly revealed a nuanced singing that really made me appreciate his artistry. That was quite a shock and one we really enjoyed when we got it.

We've had them in the system for about 3 weeks now, and they are not coming out.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Great stuff Priaptor. I use 4 myself...one behind each X1 and Velodyne plus in between the speakers/in front of the flatscreen. Absolutely wonderful. The best change was that Seal Greatest Hits went from having a slightly bright stridency when he belts to a surprisingly 'organic' quality to the tune including his voice which suddenly revealed a nuanced singing that really made me appreciate his artistry. That was quite a shock and one we really enjoyed when we got it.

We've had them in the system for about 3 weeks now, and they are not coming out.

I couldn't agree more

I too have noticed, vocals in particular become incredibly detailed and "proper" as a result of an overall cohesiveness to the music. Amazing subtleties and accuracy to bass are revealed and I think this more than anything allows all other octaves to meld in a manner I have yet to ever hear and experience. My Nolas which already provide a great sound field has expanded and the placement of the artists is really uncanny without any distortion of the same.

I have been toying with the idea of getting these when I first read about them and have spoken to the Stillpoints guys awhile ago and I don't know but just recently decided to go for them. They are not easy to find but I was lucky

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
With panels this thin, there's no doubt they are not velocity traps. They would need to be some kind of pressure trap. Given the low info this looks like a "tweak" and not an acoustical treatment. It would be easy to take some before and after sweeps given their small sizes. If they improve the lowest frequencies, that will always show up in REW. I doubt they do much in the LF.
Michael.

Last edited:

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I am very impressed by these acoustic panels; particularly their relatively compact size and versatility. I wonder how they would compare to the Synergistic HFT/FEQ combo which impressed Peter Breuninger, or do these acoustic devices work at different frequencies?

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
With panels this thin, there's no doubt they are not velocity traps. They would need to be some kind of pressure trap. Given the low info this looks like a "tweak" and not an acoustical treatment. It would be easy to take some before and after sweeps given their small sizes. If they improve the lowest frequencies, that will always show up in REW. I doubt they do much in the LF.
Michael.

Michael

I like and respect your opinions and would never be so brazen as to denigrate your opinions of something I have never tried such as DIRAC and would ask you to show the same consideration to those of us who have actual hands on experience with these panels.

Try them then comment but what is the point in speculation about something you have no hands on experience with??

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing