Famous Swiss Tape Recorder Brand To Re-introduce Reel-to-Reel Analog Recorder!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
my understanding about 1" tape is that it becomes an alignment nightmare unless one is very accomplished at the task yourself. which is why I settled on 1/2" as my top level format.

1" tape is very stiff and requires perfect alignment or gets damaged, fouled, and it causes speed inconsistencies. and then there is the cost of the 1" tape along with having different EQ for it. I could imagine investing big bucks in special 1" tapes and then screwing them up.

1/2" sounds great with little or no down side.

HDVS

May 20, 2014
Italy
The larger is the tape the better tolerances must be, because the tape tends to rule and curls if the path is other than very well aligned. It's just a metter of perpendicularity of rollers and arms and height of the guides. Once calibrated it remains very stable.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Thanks for the kind words :)

I so wish we lived closer...my Audio Precision Portable One Dual Domain is now in the hands of my Studer tech, Charlie.
Recently, I received my fully-calibrated Rohde & Schwarz UPV Audio Analyzer, with options, from R&S in Maryland, USA.
It would be so much fun to test our decks and other audio gear...wouldn't it :) :cool:

Wait -- don't answer that question ;)

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
In all (audio and video) there are about 80 open reel recorders in my basement and storage rooms. My wife is hating me! But I always say: "think if they were 80 lovers..." :D

Wow, all I can say is that you have a very tolerant wife HDVS!

HDVS

May 20, 2014
Italy
Yes, I realize, she is even too much tolerant...
She often helps me in some very dangerous operations like this!

http://oi59.tinypic.com/kro1y.jpg

I think I will have to erect a monument for her willingness and comprehension :eek:

But... we are rather OT now here. I do apologize for having polluted this thread.

c1ferrari: your UPV is my dream! I've always been attracted by hi quality measuring instruments, but I live well also with my NTI A2D, Lindos L100 and Tek AM700.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Giorgio,

Did you say...80 R2R machines :confused:
I must be hallucinating :eek:

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Luv that pic...gives me an idea of how I might transport the A820's, differently.
Thanks for sharing!

R2R

Mar 1, 2012
USA
HDVS, I hope you take the wife out for a nice dinner after all that moving?

jdza

May 3, 2010
There is an interesting comment on the Ampex list. According to this poster Studer always said that they are ready to re introduce the A827 should the demand be there. As the contemporary 2 track machine was the A 807 and the demand is not for multitrack but 2 track ,one can only wonder. Definitely not what I expected.

First JBL , now Mark Levinson apparently back on track and now Studer?. Does Harman finally take audiophiles seriously?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
From the Ampex list:

Tom Fine
To ampex@recordist.com
Today at 12:11 AM
Nagra's Sales Director replied to my e-mail that positively they are not going back into reel tape
machines. He opined that Studer would be crazy to do this also, and Harman ownership probably
precludes it. Someone apparently owns the Stellavox brand, but not the original company.

I'm beginning to think this is BS heard at an audio show.

First of all, Otari has tape machine inventory, as I understand it, and will make new ones
(indicating they either have a large parts store or can make all the parts they need to). Tascam is
controlled by Gibson Guitars now, and I doubt they have the inclination to get back into reel
machines. They still sell cassette machines, although these may be made by a 3rd party in China.

-- Tom Fine

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing