Divorce Settlement

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
For those of us who have been through a divorce, this story may resonate:

?DIVORCE SETTLEMENT ? ? ?

On? the first day, he sadly packed his ? belongings into boxes, crates? and suitcases. ? ? ? ?

On the second day, he had the movers ?come and collect his things. ? ?

On? the third day, he sat down for the ? last time at their beautiful? dining-room table, by candle-light; he put on ? some soft background? music, and feasted on a pound of shrimp, a jar of ? caviar, and a bottle? of spring-water. ? ? ? ?

When he'd finished, he went into each ? and every room and deposited a? few half-eaten shrimps dipped in caviar into ? the hollow center of the? curtain rods. ? ? He? then cleaned up the kitchen and ? left. ? ? ? ?

On the fourth day, the wife came back ? with her new boyfriend, and at? first all was bliss. ? Then, slowly, the house began to ? smell. ? ? ? ?

They tried everything; cleaning, ? mopping, and airing-out the place. ? Vents were checked for dead rodents, ? and carpets were steam cleaned. ? Air? fresheners were hung everywhere. ? Exterminators were brought in to? set off gas canisters, during which time the ? two had to move out for a? few days, and in the end they even paid to replace ? the expensive wool? carpeting.

Nothing worked! People stopped coming over to ? visit. ? ? Repairmen refused to work in the ? house. The maid quit. ? ? ? ?

Finally, they couldn't take the ? stench any longer, and decided they? had to move, but a month later - even ? though they'd cut their price in? half - they couldn't find a buyer for such a ? stinky house. ? ? ? ?

Word got out, and eventually even the ? local realtors refused to return? their calls. ? ? ? ? Finally, unable to wait any longer ? for a purchaser, they had to borrow? a huge sum of money from the bank to ? purchase a new place. ? ? ? ?

Then the ex called the woman and ? asked how things were going. She told? him the saga of the rotting house. He ? listened politely and said that? he missed his old home terribly and would be ? willing to reduce his? divorce settlement in exchange for having the ? house. ? ? ? ? Knowing he could have no idea how bad ? the smell really was, she agreed? on a price that was only 1/10 nth of what ? the house had been worth ...? but only if he would sign the papers that very ? day. ? ? ? ? He agreed, and within two hours her ? lawyers delivered the completed paperwork. ? ? ? ?

A week later the woman and her ? boyfriend stood smiling as they watched? the moving company pack everything to ? take to their new home ... and? just to spite the ex-husband, they even took ? the curtain rods !!! ? ? ? ?

I? LOVE A HAPPY ENDING, DON'T ? YOU...? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I love it!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I love it!

Last laugh. The property is worth more than the house. Husband tears the house down and with the difference in price builds his own bachelor pad.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Pretty clear you have been divorced. Only those of us who have can truly appreciate the word "vindictive" :p

My wife was in legal proceedings for 4 years. Taken to the cleaners by the lawyers. She ended up hating the lawyers more than her ex-husband. I have seen it happen over and over - divorce lawyers are the scum of the earth.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Although I never divorced I went through such experience. When we moved in our second house, we decided to have our chandeliers refurbished and to renew all the lightings of the new house. As we were in a rush to move, as a temporary measure I asked the contractor to put some cheap suspended lamp sockets for the first weeks of our stay.

We really enjoyed the new house for the first few days, but after sometime a slight disagreeable smell showed. We started looking for its origin, but it was not permanent - it had some similitude with cat urine smell, but the previous owner had no cats! A general cleaning was carried on the house, but was unsuccessful. We were starting to desperate but fortunately one day I approached one of the hanging lamps and smelled the nasty odor - it was due to the heating of the cheap plastic lamp sockets. The same day I changed them all for metal/ceramic holders the odor disappeared forever ...

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
My divorce took six years. I know one couple in divorce for fifteen years. The husband, a total workaholic built his company (I don't want to say what it is because it could become apparent who the people are) from the ground up to several hundred million dollars. The wife stayed home, shopped and had her nails done. He had a gorgeous big house and a horse farm. (not his business) He collected cars too. He offered his wife his new Jeep and his S-class AMG Merc, but that wasn't enough for her. Meanwhile, she is getting over $48,000 A MONTH for their one daughter's child support until the case is settled!!!!!! and thinks she deserves half of his holdings.

I think men who have lost fortunes or have been burned or wasted money on lawyers in a divorce never forget how horrible their ex-was or is.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I think men who have lost fortunes or have been burned or wasted money on lawyers in a divorce never forget how horrible their ex-was or is.

It works both ways. My wife's ex-husband literally defrauded her out of over a million, but she last the case because of incompetent lawyering on her side and ruthless lawyering on the other side. She actually successfully sued her lawyer for malpractice, and recovered a few things on appeal, but only a fraction of the total damage.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I hate to keep banging on the women (not really!:p) but it is practically always the man who made the money and then loses it to an undeserving wife who sat home and never earned a cent. . . . and don't please retort that the women did all the housework and took care of the kids because you can buy those services for a tenth of what a wife gets in a divorce.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
It works both ways. My wife's ex-husband literally defrauded her out of over a million, but she last the case because of incompetent lawyering on her side and ruthless lawyering on the other side. She actually successfully sued her lawyer for malpractice, and recovered a few things on appeal, but only a fraction of the total damage.

Look at the bright side, at least she had an extra million laying around to get defrauded out of.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
. . . and don't please retort that the women did all the housework and took care of the kids because you can buy those services for a tenth of what a wife gets in a divorce.

That is not how Mitt Romney frames it. You would not do too well in politics :) Thenagain, neither did Mitt Romney.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I'm not looking to do well in politics. I call 'em as I see 'em.

Did she actually EARN it or was it part of what has become known as "marital/community property" that her ex-husband earned?

That's the best reason not to ever co-mingle money or live in a community property state.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I'm not looking to do well in politics. I call 'em as I see 'em.

Did she actually EARN it or was it part of what has become known as "marital/community property" that her ex-husband earned?

That's the best reason not to ever co-mingle money or live in a community property state.

That is debatable. She pulled in a big salary for years and paid for the living expenses including a very big mortage, while he worked for a startup, made close to nothing but got stock options. The options (joint property) were in joint account and vested during the dot.com boom worth millions. After the divorce, she said she wanted to sell her half and cash in (she had not access to the brokerage account) - he said they had not vested and could not sell.

When the whole thing unravelled, it turned out he had margined off her share to buy more shares while the stock was collapsing and rode it all the way to zero, which was the reason he could not sell. He somehow believed collapsing dot.com stocks would come back and decided to double down.

You can say these were his options all along, but explicitly unless they agreed to that, this is bogus. He himself never disputed it was joint property, legally it was joint property and morally it was joint property. It is not like he offered a refund on hundreds of thousands in living expenses funded through her salary during the marriage. Better yet, he claimed 50% of a property that she owned 100% BEFORE the marriage. And of course cashed in 50% of capital gains on the house SHE paid the mortgage for out of her salary.

Bottom line he simply tried to screw her over financially with the help of a shark of a lawyer, and adding insult to injury was quite successful in doing it. How she ever lost this should be a mandatory course in lawschool in incompetent lawyering (legal malpractice in fact).

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The money that was hers, should always have been hers and he had no right to claim her property. He should have kept his hands off.

The whole mortgage thing, and who paid it is yet another reason to keep receipts or copies of them, (and not where a spouse can get at them) and not to co-mingle money. Money spent on a mortgage should, in a divorce be returned to the person who earned the money and paid for it and the house can be divided based on exactly who paid for what.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The money that was hers, should always have been hers and he had no right to claim her property. He should have kept his hands off.

The whole mortgage thing, and who paid it is yet another reason to keep receipts or copies of them, (and not where a spouse can get at them) and not to co-mingle money. Money spent on a mortgage should, in a divorce be returned to the person who earned the money and paid for it and the house can be divided based on exactly who paid for what.

Not if you live in community property state, both agree to these terms and have commingled everything during the marriage without any consideration of ever disentangling the assets - it becomes is simple 50/50 split. You can't change the rules retroactively as you see fit. I commingle everything and have no problem with that at all, although I pull in a lot more than she. My wife owns half the audio system. She'll take the right channel, I'll keep the left.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I'll never do a community property anything! I'm self sufficient and plan to stay that way.

Marriage isn't worth it. If you like each other, stay together, if you don't split up. A piece of paper from the government binding me with another person isn't necessary for my happiness, lifestyle or living arrangements. The consequences of marriage are so dangerous, it isn't worth it under any set of circumstances --- unless you're marrying INTO money, and since I won't be beholden to anybody for anything, "living in sin" is just perfect.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I'll never do a community property anything! I'm self sufficient and plan to stay that way.

Marriage isn't worth it. If you like each other, stay together, if you don't split up. A piece of paper from the government binding me with another person isn't necessary for my happiness, lifestyle or living arrangements. The consequences of marriage are so dangerous, it isn't worth it under any set of circumstances --- unless you're marrying INTO money, and since I won't be beholden to anybody for anything, "living in sin" is just perfect.

To me this is not about an emotional and financial cost benefit analysis of marriage, but basic principles of reasonableness. My wife and I both work and and we jointly raise 2 kids. It so happens my employment is better compensated than what she pull in though the small business she runs. I don't see what that should mean I would be accumulating assets at a faster rate than she while we are married.

In fact, I make about 2 times as much as she, and we save 1/3 of our joint income. In your model, we would both contribute half of joint living expenses out of our personal income, which means she would contribute 100% of her salary, I would chip in 50% of my salary and I would get to keep 100% of the budget surplus. Does not strike me as a very fair way to split the pie.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Gary-I don't know what state you live in, but many states have what is called "common law marriage." In other words, if you live together long enough to satisfy the requirements of the state for common law marriage, your live-in woman can take you to the cleaners just the same as if you were married.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I heard this story about Jack Warner (of the Warner Bros.). He had a wandering eye and had many mistresses during his long marriage to his second wife Ann. Whenever he started talking about a divorce, his wife would get the chauffer to drive them to the huge Warner Bros studios in Burbank (CA is a community property state) and as they drove by the many studio soundstages, Ann would say, "This studio is yours, that studio is mine, this studio is yours, that studio is mine, this studio is yours, that studio is mine", and on and on, and that would end the talk. If he had been an audiophile, she would have said "This speaker is yours, that speaker is mine, this monoblock amp is yours, that monoblock amp is mine, this cable is yours, that cable is mine, the left channel of this DAC is yours, the right channel is mine." Would that work for digital files (that 192/24 file is yours, those 2 92/24 files are mine...)?

Larry

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Gary-I don't know what state you live in, but many states have what is called "common law marriage." In other words, if you live together long enough to satisfy the requirements of the state for common law marriage, your live-in woman can take you to the cleaners just the same as if you were married.

To say that >99% of women have been getting a pretty rough deal throughout >99% or history would be an understatement. The fact that at this particular juncture in our small corner of the world some women are now in a position to give men a dose of their own medicine does not bother me too much.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing