Possible Upgrade Time

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Yes, my advice is first figure out what is lacking in your current TT, (if you can isolate it to that) then a move up might be a move up vs a lateral move for just a change in sound.

Tom-I could be wrong, but I think JC is asking people who are knowledgeable about his current setup to provide some guidance on where they think he will get his best bang for the buck upgrading his vinyl rig. Your advice was for him to figure out what he is asking people to advise him on.

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Just Outside New Orleans, La.
Well what I would really like to know is from others who have expirence with this or similar combos. I am looking for a little more detail if anything, my current setup sounds fine just would like to improve some if possible without breaking the bank or a lot of trial and error...

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Tom-I could be wrong, but I think JC is asking people who are knowledgeable about his current setup to provide some guidance on where they think he will get his best bang for the buck upgrading his vinyl rig. Your advice was for him to figure out what he is asking people to advise him on.

I agree. Tom is hardly the resident vinyl expert...:rolleyes:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I have a Scoutmaster JMW9 and Dyna 20X 1.0 mv version now thinking about a move up, doesn't have to be MC. Maybe a new tonearm if that will bring better results....Any advice?
Probably not what you want to hear but there's nothing you can do with your tt to change it's nature. The best bang for the buck still is a Garrard 401 and in the right base it easily outperforms most modern tables. You have to spend quite a lot more for better sound. There seems to be a number of sources out there refurbishing them and offering decent bases and if you avoid the unnecessary tweaks and so called upgrades you won't break the bank either.

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing