Lampizator DSD DAC

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
I will be bringing the Lampi DSD DAC to RMAF this year. Will be connected to a MacBook playing DSD files via Audirvana and then going into a Cavalli Liquid Gold Headphone amp. The best combo I feel available today.

RM. 8000

Sounded very nice at RMAF (Lampizator DSD DAC + Abyss Headphones).

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bruce, do you prefer this to other dsd streamers? Also, is there a big difference of you use jriver or other software into the Lampi

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Bruce, do you prefer this to other dsd streamers? Also, is there a big difference of you use jriver or other software into the Lampi

The Lampizator folks use JRiver in their audio show demos.

I know some Lampizator owners prefer the sound of HQ Player above the other software apps.
The HQ Player user interface is a bit tricky which probably explains JRiver's popularity in the market.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
People use JPlay, HQP, A+ and JRiver. I use Mac and so have JRiver and A+. I may go to PC soon with AO Win2012R2 in Core mode and then it will be JRiver or JPlay. I know Marcin, so will link with him giving JPlay a shot.

I also know Jussi and will try out HQP on the Mac, but its not so intuitive. i guess I have to RTFM. LoL

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

The 2 I use the most are Audirvana+ and HQPlayer. Lately I've been so frustrated with Audirvana that I was going to, with the help of Mojave, set up a nice JRiver system. He showed me things at RMAF that blew me away.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What streamer are you talking about?

Any market streamer (Aurender, Auralic, etc...since the Lampi TranspOrt doesn't yet do DSD)

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
He said in the orginal quote that he was using his MacBook pro via USB. That is why your question confused me.,
Any market streamer (Aurender, Auralic, etc...since the Lampi TranspOrt doesn't yet do DSD)

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Great review. My thoughts exactly!

Thanks! The Lampizator DSD DAC is a tough product to equal sonically. Especially at the price (under $4k).

Once you audition it, it's very easy to understand the enthusiasm and passion the Lampizator owners have for these DACs.
It's well deserved.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
In addition to your excellent review I would like to mention that the setup procedure of dsd dac is even easier when connecting to Aurender transport.
It's a pure "plug and play" since Aurender is DoP ready. Moreover, my W20 does the extraction of ISO files which is not an easy task when you do not have one - at least that' s the opinion of fellows audiophiles from our polish audiostereo forum.
My dsd dac is with Duelund capacitors and Mullard NOS , after your comment about Jupiter I am very curious the give a listen to such a unit.
I share with you the opinion that dsd files ripped from sacd sound better from my Lampi dsd dac dac that from Vrds neo sacd transport built in my Audio Aero La Fontaine.
rgds
M

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Nice read and I too love there dacs.
And rolling tubes makes this even more fun.
Al

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
In addition to your excellent review I would like to mention that the setup procedure of dsd dac is even easier when connecting to Aurender transport.
It's a pure "plug and play" since Aurender is DoP ready. Moreover, my W20 does the extraction of ISO files which is not an easy task when you do not have one - at least that' s the opinion of fellows audiophiles from our polish audiostereo forum.
My dsd dac is with Duelund capacitors and Mullard NOS , after your comment about Jupiter I am very curious the give a listen to such a unit.
I share with you the opinion that dsd files ripped from sacd sound better from my Lampi dsd dac dac that from Vrds neo sacd transport built in my Audio Aero La Fontaine.
rgds
M

Not sure what is the difficulty with DoP or SACD ISO files. Several players on Mac and PC handle both directly and it is easy to extract DSF or DIFF files from an ISO file once and for all offline.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
If I play an ISO in jriver 20 and the same file ripped to dff or dsf. It does not sound the same. ISO more detailed or less harsh. Some more than others. In the end it's choice. But our digital music is all math
As such the less we do to it the better.
Al

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
If I play an ISO in jriver 20 and the same file ripped to dff or dsf. It does not sound the same. ISO more detailed or less harsh. Some more than others. In the end it's choice. But our digital music is all math
As such the less we do to it the better.
Al

I would expect that to depend on the player. The one I prefer for DSD (HQPlayer) does not play ISO files directly, so I have not compared ISO to DIFF/DSF.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Not sure what is the difficulty with DoP or SACD ISO files. Several players on Mac and PC handle both directly and it is easy to extract DSF or DIFF files from an ISO file once and for all offline.

Yes, that's how I'm doing it. With JRiver 20 and Windows you can play the ISO files (like the ones downloaded from Pentatone Music) or DSF files. Works fine bother ways.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013

rgds
M

Thanks.

I haven't heard the new 5th Generation DSD DAC in stock mode or with Duelund caps, so I'm not sure of the differences. I did get a strong recommendation to try it with the Jensen caps and it does sound excellent!

A good example of the PS3/SACD rip vs. DSD Download finding was on the album "Analog Pearls" by Waylon Jennings. The DSD Download version on HiResAudio's site from Stockfisch immediately shows more detail when played on the Lampizator DSD DAC than the SACD edition. No question.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
A good example of the PS3/SACD rip vs. DSD Download finding was on the album "Analog Pearls" by Waylon Jennings. The DSD Download version on HiResAudio's site from Stockfisch immediately shows more detail when played on the Lampizator DSD DAC than the SACD edition. No question.

I have compared the Mahler Symphonies of Michael Tilson Thomas/SFSO : the downloaded DSF files KO the PS3-ripped files (from SACD) in seconds!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing