Lampizator DSD DAC

MLGrado

Mar 19, 2014
Talk to Fred and Rob and see what is possible. They have their own circle at AudioCircle.com forum.

Thanks! Will do!

A few questions.

Does the Lampizator use the Amanero USB board?

Does the USB board require the 5v on the USB bus?

If indeed Amanero, does the Lampi use the clocks that come on that board?

Thanks!

Andrew

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Great review!!

Now that didn't hurt a bit, did it?

Thanks Bruce. I will strive to get better with each review. Next up is the Manley Chinook phono stage. It arrived yesterday and is in my system now.

Back to the Lampi: I threw a teaser out a few weeks ago on WBF about the Lampi by saying that I heard something from it that I have never heard from digital before and I explained what that was in my review. I can understand why many people find themselves smitten with Lampi DACs.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Thanks Bruce. I will strive to get better with each review. Next up is the Manley Chinook phono stage. It arrived yesterday and is in my system now.

Now that is a review that I would like to read!

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Back to the Lampi: I threw a teaser out a few weeks ago on WBF about the Lampi by saying that I heard something from it that I have never heard from digital before and I explained what that was in my review. I can understand why many people find themselves smitten with Lampi DACs.

On common comment you didnt make was that the Lampi has a lot of heft and weight to its sound…the opposite of thin.

Last edited:

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Nice review Mark. Having been exposed to DSD lately, I share your biases on its sonic attributes in comparison to PCM. I don't own a vinyl rig. Ironically, a TT was my source as a preteen and remains my frame of reference (other than master tape). To my ears, PCM is missing that suppleness or elasticity or whatever "it" is that vinyl possesses. Listening to DSD, my jaw is not clenched and I am relaxed. I have a Lampizator L7 on order and I believe DSD reproduction is its strong suit.....

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
GD, I hear you but the UK guys are smitten with the L7 and they couldnt even figure out how to get the DSD to work in their demos!

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
True, but those guys have Big 6s and L4G4s, so they were already used to lampi PCM sound.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
On common comment you didnt make was that the Lampi has a lot of heft and weight to its sound…the opposite of thin.

I tried to convey that, but obviously I didn't do a good job. I really appreciate your constructive criticism. That's how you learn and grow.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Nice review Mark. Having been exposed to DSD lately, I share your biases on its sonic attributes in comparison to PCM. I don't own a vinyl rig. Ironically, a TT was my source as a preteen and remains my frame of reference (other than master tape). To my ears, PCM is missing that suppleness or elasticity or whatever "it" is that vinyl possesses. Listening to DSD, my jaw is not clenched and I am relaxed. I have a Lampizator L7 on order and I believe DSD reproduction is its strong suit.....

Thanks for the kind words, I do appreciate it. Let us know when you receive the Lampi Level 7. That should be a killer DAC.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Thanks for the kind words, I do appreciate it. Let us know when you receive the Lampi Level 7. That should be a killer DAC.

I heard the Lampi "Big 7" at the Newport Beach show. Very impressive - especially with DSD music.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I tried to convey that, but obviously I didn't do a good job. I really appreciate your constructive criticism. That's how you learn and grow.

Not a criticism, just an observation. I just wondered if you noticed that feature.

tsaett

May 20, 2014
Cologne
I got my Lampi back from Lukasz a few days ago and wanted to share some thoughts with you.

I have one of the new Amber DACs fully featured (with DSD and Jupiter Caps, DHT rectifier and chokes)
FYI, my system contains of a Windows 8 machine, Gryphon Diablo, MBL 116, Aqvox USB and Nanotec 777/207 cabling.

I had two DACs for comparision, an Electrocompaniet ECD2 and a Lector Digitube S192

To make it short: The Lampi bested both of them by a quite big margin.
I don't want to repeat what others have already written, but in my opinion the standout quality of the Lampi is the air around instruments it reproduces.
It manages to sound heavy on tones, yet at the same time light around them, I have never heard a converter that did both.
DSD is of course the pearl of the DAC. I'm going to convert all my flacs to DSD in the next months or use JRiver on-the-fly, I have to compare these two in the next days.

All in all, the Lampi stays and I'm really happy with it.
I don't know how Lv4 compares to the Amber, for now I'm more than satisfied.

Christoph

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I got my Lampi back from Lukasz a few days ago and wanted to share some thoughts with you.

I have one of the new Amber DACs fully featured (with DSD and Jupiter Caps, DHT rectifier and chokes)
FYI, my system contains of a Windows 8 machine, Gryphon Diablo, MBL 116, Aqvox USB and Nanotec 777/207 cabling.

I had two DACs for comparision, an Electrocompaniet ECD2 and a Lector Digitube S192 (yes, the one with the dreadful measurements - I sold it already)

To make it short: The Lampi bested both of them by a quite big margin.
I don't want to repeat what others have already written, but in my opinion the standout quality of the Lampi is the air around instruments it reproduces.
It manages to sound heavy on tones, yet at the same time light around them, I have never heard a converter that did both.
DSD is of course the pearl of the DAC. I'm going to convert all my flacs to DSD in the next months or use JRiver on-the-fly, I have to compare these two in the next days.

All in all, the Lampi stays and I'm really happy with it.
I don't know how Lv4 compares to the Amber, for now I'm more than satisfied.

Christoph
OK Christoph,

Now I see how you get to that price. Its is maxxed out totally!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Not a criticism, just an observation. I just wondered if you noticed that feature.

Yes, I certainly did notice that and I said that the Lampi doesn't emphasize any one part of the frequency spectrum at the expense of others when playing DSD files.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing