Lampizator DSD DAC

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Aren't there additional steps involved in going from the edit master to the SACD cutting master?

It's the same exact file.

A cutting master is usually referred to as all the elements of a hybrid SACD disc such as the DSD Edit master, DST encoding for surround, CD image, D3 verification and Disc info. The terminology of cutting master was used when we had to use AIT tape to send to the plants for SACD production. We don't do that anymore. It's now just digital files via ftp.

Pyramix SACD authoring

Last edited:

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
According to Stereophile (http://www.stereophile.com/content/first-time-ever-mahler-download-dsd) the DSD downloads of the SFO Mahler project were sourced directly from the edit masters and are not copies of the SACDs. Given that, I do believe they have the potential of sounding better. I am downloading a couple to sample.

That would be particularly true for the 4 Symphonies that were recorded in DSD by Gus Skinas and Dawn Frank from the Super Audio Center. The others were PCM recordings.

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
That would be particularly true for the 4 Symphonies that were recorded in DSD by Gus Skinas and Dawn Frank from the Super Audio Center. The others were PCM recordings.

Do you know which four symphonies?

Edit: The download site mentions DSD recording by Gus Skinas and/or Dawn Frank for the following symphonies: 1-4, 6 and 9. No mention of DSD recording for 5 and 7, so I assume these two are PCM. The 8 and 10 are not available for download (although included in the SACD box).

Additional edit: The 5th and the 7th are actually also identified on the website as native DSD recordings, although no recording credits are provided.

Last edited:

JGlacken

Mar 4, 2011
Hi Folks,

I follow this brand with interest and may want to move that way, but am concerned about system synergy. Current system is mac mini (pure music) to Antelope Zodiac Gold to Genesis M60 Tube Monos to Genesis 5.2 with Genesis wires. With a Lampi tube DAC/Pre would it be too much of a good thing with the tube amps? Somehow I feel that the Zodiac Gold is warmed a bit by the tube amps. Thanks for your input.
PS. Has anyone had a Lampi built with a digital output? The Gold has one that I run to another system via AES. It is hot at same time as analogue outs!

Thanks, Jeff

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Folks,

I follow this brand with interest and may want to move that way, but am concerned about system synergy. Current system is mac mini (pure music) to Antelope Zodiac Gold to Genesis M60 Tube Monos to Genesis 5.2 with Genesis wires. With a Lampi tube DAC/Pre would it be too much of a good thing with the tube amps? Somehow I feel that the Zodiac Gold is warmed a bit by the tube amps. Thanks for your input.
PS. Has anyone had a Lampi built with a digital output? The Gold has one that I run to another system via AES. It is hot at same time as analogue outs!

Thanks, Jeff

Lampi works superb with tubes. I had it with AR ref throughout and know other systems who use it on horns with 2 - 4w valve amps

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Lampi is not warm but can with tube rolling.
It is more musical than my msb without loosing and details.
I am a detail freak and like analytical as well.
Rolling tubes gets me what I want. Weathe it's laid back or upfront.
I is at the level of my msb easily and out does in musicality ad add to this tube rolling it's just very cool.
To me a warm DAC is just not for me I very much dislike the haze of warmth. But just a tad of tube is fanatatic with most music.
Al

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Lampi works superb with tubes. I had it with AR ref throughout and know other systems who use it on horns with 2 - 4w valve amps
My lampi dsd dac is amplified by an Ayon SET and it has less of typical tube sound that La Fontaine pcm dac. Speakers are horns by Avantgarde Acoustic.
You can try many different tubes , mine is equipped with Mullard Nos and Duelund caps. The usb cable is another way to tune the system.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Agreed. The Lampizator DSD DAC sounds really good with Tube Amps - and Solid State Amps as well.

You will also find that it connects very well with Native DSD recordings (like those on Native DSD.Com) and ones that are processed with a tube preamp (like the Analog Tape to DSD transfers on DSD File.Com). And even with PCM to DSD files like those on a number of other download sites.

An excellent DAC all the way around.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue76/lampizator_dac.htm
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue76/awards2014.htm

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Lampi is not warm but can with tube rolling.
It is more musical than my msb without loosing and details.
I am a detail freak and like analytical as well.
Rolling tubes gets me what I want. Weathe it's laid back or upfront.
I is at the level of my msb easily and out does in musicality ad add to this tube rolling it's just very cool.
To me a warm DAC is just not for me I very much dislike the haze of warmth. But just a tad of tube is fanatatic with most music.
Al

You're right. The Lampizator DAC is clean and clear vs. having a warm tube sound. But you can get to warm with tube rolling. I'm fine using the Lampizator as designed. That's all I need for Stereo DSD files. :)

JGlacken

Mar 4, 2011
Thanks for the feedback.

sleepfox

Jan 15, 2015
Newbie questions here.

Does the Lampizator DSD Dac reads DSD in its native form? Or disguised in DoP / ASIO?

What are the best source to feed it the DSD files through USB? PC? Or streamers like Auralic Aries?

Thanks a lot.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
From what I understand, the USB can do DoP with all and ASIO with PC. I hate the term native as Dop is just a shell and I take native to mean how its processed internally.

I also believe that a HDMI i2S implementation (PSAudio/Sonore standard) will work with the Lampi, but has to be specially ordered.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Newbie questions here.

Does the Lampizator DSD Dac reads DSD in its native form? Or disguised in DoP / ASIO?

What are the best source to feed it the DSD files through USB? PC? Or streamers like Auralic Aries?

Thanks a lot.

My lampi dsd dac works perfectly with Aurender W 20. Just plug in a good usb cable and let music play.
My last upgrade was a custom made Jcat usb reference with only one connector instead of original 2 cables. Lampi can work flawless with Aurender without power from usb so one can turn off the power in aurender player control .
Moreover it has a postive impact on sonics.
I did not ask Lukasz but it seems that Lampi usb input is galvanically isolated.

Last edited:

sleepfox

Jan 15, 2015
Wisnon, thanks a lot. I am confused with all these protocal/standards. I heard that Lampizator's DSD DAC now can support DSD256. I guess Lampizator is still doing it in pure analog domain. The fast developments are exciting and can be scary. :p

Marslo, thanks. Glad to know that steaming device works great with lampi. Aries is a similar product.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Wisnon, thanks a lot. I am confused with all these protocal/standards. I heard that Lampizator's DSD DAC now can support DSD256. I guess Lampizator is still doing it in pure analog domain. The fast developments are exciting and can be scary. :p

Marslo, thanks. Glad to know that steaming device works great with lampi. Aries is a similar product.

Before Lampi dsd dac I was using Auralic Vega as a dsd dac for a while. Then last year in Munich I heard the Auralic stack with Aries , Vega and Merak monos . Cabling from Kubala Sosna reference series and speakers Vienna Acoustic Beethoven made a real best buy system , also dsd capable.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Before Lampi dsd dac I was using Auralic Vega as a dsd dac for a while. Then last year in Munich I heard the Auralic stack with Aries , Vega and Merak monos . Cabling from Kubala Sosna reference series and speakers Vienna Acoustic Beethoven made a real best buy system , also dsd capable.

I had the Auralic for demo when the Lampi distributor came over for a L5 demo - no contest. Bought the L5 then upgraded to a 7.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
From what I understand, the USB can do DoP with all and ASIO with PC. I hate the term native as Dop is just a shell and I take native to mean how its processed internally.

I also believe that a HDMI i2S implementation (PSAudio/Sonore standard) will work with the Lampi, but has to be specially ordered.

No, the Lampizator DSD DAC is DoP only with the Amanero USB Input board. No ASIO.
http://positive-feedback.com/Issue76/lampizator_dac.htm

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013

Not yet. Lampizator is working on DSD 256 support.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
No, the Lampizator DSD DAC is DoP only with the Amanero USB Input board. No ASIO.
http://positive-feedback.com/Issue76/lampizator_dac.htm

I dont use Windows, but a few Windows buddies have told me that they get ASIO to work with the Lampi USB passing DSD. Jabs is one, for example.

DSD256 is solved, but will take a couple months to design and print the PCBs for wide scale availability. I hear the new design improves all DSD playback rates!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing