Lampizator DSD DAC

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I have compared the Mahler Symphonies of Michael Tilson Thomas/SFSO : the downloaded DSF files KO the PS3-ripped files (from SACD) in seconds!

Don't people realize that the rips you get off these SACD's from a PS3 are ...... let's say. questionable?

I can rip a SACD from a PS3 and do it again using the Sonoma. They are 2 totally different files. Even the track lengths are different!

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
Don't people realize that the rips you get off these SACD's from a PS3 are ...... let's say. questionable?

I can rip a SACD from a PS3 and do it again using the Sonoma. They are 2 totally different files. Even the track lengths are different!

The PS3 rips still sound better than playing the SACD through a transport (I did the comparison using the EMM TSDX transport into the DAC2X) :)

Are you saying that using the PS3 results in ripping errors?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
Yes!

And Bruce is correct, ripping by a PS3 has so many variables : condition of the PS3/laser head, power quality to PS3, cables ...etc :(

The one instance I am aware of a DSD download sounding better than the SACD rip is the AP "Tea for the Tillerman", but that's because the download is a direct transfer from analog to DSD, while the SACD was derived from a PCM master. I will check out the Mahler symphonies.

Of course a PS3 can malfunction, but I am sure that can happen with a Sonoma workstation too ;)

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The one instance I am aware of a DSD download sounding better than the SACD rip is the AP "Tea for the Tillerman", but that's because the download is a direct transfer from analog to DSD, while the SACD was derived from a PCM master. I will check out the Mahler symphonies.
Of course a PS3 can malfunction, but I am sure that can happen with a Sonoma workstation too ;)

Hi dmnc02,
Please don't misunderstand, I am a supporter of DSD file playback and in fact own many PS3-ripped DSD files. Most of them are very enjoyable.
Native DSD files are quite expensive so I only buy native files of my favorite albums.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Yes!

And Bruce is correct, ripping by a PS3 has so many variables : condition of the PS3/laser head, power quality to PS3, cables ...etc :(

Also the thing with the PS3, you're tied to what the mastering engineer authored the disc by. Misplaced markers, incorrect codes and a whole slew of other things can actually leave out a lot of material. There are several ghost and bonus tracks that don't rip on a PS3 and also I've had missing movements, artist chatter and other things that don't get included with a rip. I didn't figure this out until I was trying to line these things up and the transfers I was doing on the Sonoma were 5-10min longer than the PS3 rips.

And lets not get into the A/B and null tests....

Sorry.... we're getting off topic.....

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
Hi dmnc02,
Please don't misunderstand, I am a supporter of DSD file playback and in fact own many PS3-ripped DSD files. Most of them are very enjoyable.
Native DSD files are quite expensive so I only buy native files of my favorite albums.

Sure, agreed. I am just very interested in understanding this better, since if this is widespread I might have to buy again some DSD downloads to replace my PS3 rips. I compared a few (by listening, not by null tests) and noticed no difference, with the one exception mentioned above.

Last edited:

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
Also the thing with the PS3, you're tied to what the mastering engineer authored the disc by. Misplaced markers, incorrect codes and a whole slew of other things can actually leave out a lot of material. There are several ghost and bonus tracks that don't rip on a PS3 and also I've had missing movements, artist chatter and other things that don't get included with a rip. I didn't figure this out until I was trying to line these things up and the transfers I was doing on the Sonoma were 5-10min longer than the PS3 rips.

And lets not get into the A/B and null tests....

Sorry.... we're getting off topic.....

Well, you started it and it is an interesting topic. What you are saying above is much more limited than what you seemed to hint to in your earlier post.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Thanks.

I haven't heard the new 5th Generation DSD DAC in stock mode or with Duelund caps, so I'm not sure of the differences. I did get a strong recommendation to try it with the Jensen caps and it does sound excellent!

A good example of the PS3/SACD rip vs. DSD Download finding was on the album "Analog Pearls" by Waylon Jennings. The DSD Download version on HiResAudio's site from Stockfisch immediately shows more detail when played on the Lampizator DSD DAC than the SACD edition. No question.

Could you pls provide a link to stockfish dsd downloads? I can't find it .

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Thank you very much, will download immediately.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
it's on my short list:)

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
Is there any error correction when ripping SACD's? If not that could explain it.

According to the developer of sacd-ripper (the program used for SACD ripping on the PS3), the drive "will do the error correction and the re-reading of sectors it couldn't read". In addition, all reading errors are logged.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
According to the developer of sacd-ripper (the program used for SACD ripping on the PS3), the drive "will do the error correction and the re-reading of sectors it couldn't read". In addition, all reading errors are logged.

Thanks. Good to know.

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
I have compared the Mahler Symphonies of Michael Tilson Thomas/SFSO : the downloaded DSF files KO the PS3-ripped files (from SACD) in seconds!

According to Stereophile (http://www.stereophile.com/content/first-time-ever-mahler-download-dsd) the DSD downloads of the SFO Mahler project were sourced directly from the edit masters and are not copies of the SACDs. Given that, I do believe they have the potential of sounding better. I am downloading a couple to sample.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
The edit master IS what is on the SACD.

Aren't there additional steps involved in going from the edit master to the SACD cutting master?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing