Lampizator DSD DAC

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
A Big7 or a GG would be nice to have, too.

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
Still waiting to hear it...curiousity peaked. Will keep you posted. i hope to arrange a Swiss road tour.

Count me in if you do so!

(Just back from a most instructive comparative listening session in Zürich: dCS vs Playback Designs vs Weiss.)

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
Can you share your conclusions from the listening session?

I would really have to do a little writeup and post it in a new thread, but I'm afraid I'm going to be crucified (or at least get tarred and feathered) if I do so, LOL!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

(Just back from a most instructive comparative listening session in Zürich: dCS vs Playback Designs vs Weiss.)

What was the system and the models involved?

As the listening session happened in Zurich there is a large probability that the Weiss was the preferred ... ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What was the system and the models involved?

As the listening session happened in Zurich there is a large probability that the Weiss was the preferred ... ;)

Initially when I owned the AR Dac 8, I compared it to Weiss 202 and Meitner 1 and Auralic Vega. Did not like the Vega at all, and while Weiss and Meitner were marginally better in some aspects than the Dac 8, decided difference in dacs was not worth upgrading. After that heard the VAC dac, resolution cantata, and Level 5 Lampi. Didn't like the other two, liked the Lampi, so got the Level 4 instead of the 5 to save some money. Returned it within the audition period. The DSD dac is actually a Level 4 equivalent, though would have made improvements with the times. Then went on with the search, got frustrated, and paid up for the Level 5. Thought I wouldn't upgrade, and now with the Golden Gate, though could have stopped at the Big 7 which was the big jump WTF wow

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Hi David, how are you? Hopefully much improved!

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Bill..since you're also using Auralic Aries, I had been using beta firmware but just an hour ago I saw a new firmware notification. It's now 4.0.0 and OMG!!! Big improvement. Very meaty, solid and deeper bass. You gotta to try that new firmware.

Already did my friend. They really upped their game with that software. Memory based playback.

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
Hi David, how are you? Hopefully much improved!

Spent half the time standing rather than sitting to give my back a rest from time to time, but yes, thank you! Let me know when you're around and ready for a listening session!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Selling pair of KR PX25, 400 quid.

Another friend is selling PX4 for same price

+ postage. Please PM if interested.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Selling pair of KR PX25, 400 quid.

Another friend is selling PX4 for same price

+ postage. Please PM if interested.

Also selling KR 45 pair for 300 Euros plus postage. The KR 45 were bought in Dec 2015 but hardly used as other tubes were preferred.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
A visit to the Lampi factory last month.

The Neurotic Audiophile in me decided to optimize the Lampi – these questions about the difference between the Duelunds and the Mundorfs, would Shun Mook mpingo discs in different parts inside the Lampi cause magic, and how is Amanero different from R2R were bothering me. Maybe I was on to something big. I also had to get the superclock and the DSD 512 upgrade anyway.

http://zero-distortion.org/lampi_factory_visit/

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I have two dacs one is dualands the other is Mundorf the black ones with gold letters.
I also have mundorf in my IRS v cross overs and dueland bypass. Simplistically. A mundorf is a thicker note some call more hang and a bit softer. A Dueland is a bit faster and harder.
What we like becomes complex as each item in the chain adds or detracts something always. My head dac is very close to my Msb stack in hardness and note thickness. Changing tubes effects this on the lampi in weight and tones.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have two dacs one is dualands the other is Mundorf the black ones with gold letters.
I also have mundorf in my IRS v cross overs and dueland bypass. Simplistically. A mundorf is a thicker note some call more hang and a bit softer. A Dueland is a bit faster and harder.
What we like becomes complex as each item in the chain adds or detracts something always. My head dac is very close to my Msb stack in hardness and note thickness. Changing tubes effects this on the lampi in weight and tones.

Bill has a complete Duelund dac. I am going to compare mine with his soon, now that both have the clocks

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
@ferrox anymore feedback using the Tak 274b rectifier? Is your DAC single ended? What is your favorite tube to pair with the Tak rectifier that is not a 300b?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing