33 1/3 vs 45 rpm

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
This is in regards to new, 12" vinyl platters. I recently acquired an album with two discs that play about 4-5 minutes per side.

Is there any gain in fidelity? I've seen some 12" singles have or had deeper grooves that I would presume gave more "sound pressure" or in the magnetic tape world would be called dynamic range (I think). Doesn't seem to be the case here though.

Anyway, after years of MSFL, RCA "Red Seal" etc., I'm wondering if there's any advantage to mastering a 12" vinyl at 45 rpm other than shortening the time the program plays on each side?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
IME, > 90% of the time, 45 rpm sounds better. The grooves are spread wider allowing for greater cutter (the lacquer) dynamic range which then translates to the vinyl, imo. There is obviously less inner groove distortion as the grooves generally stop two thirds or less into the record side (better tracking).

Last edited:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Plain physics tell me that 45rpm should be better than 33 1/3. At 45, the outer grooves travel at about 27 inches per second. At 33, it's about 20ips. On the inner grooves it's 9.4ips vs 7ips. You not only get better dynamic range, you should better frequency range as well. You can calculate peak to peak distance at 20kHz on the waveform imprinted in the grooves.

However, I find that 45rpm generally has higher vinyl noise energy, and I prefer listening to 33 1/3. Now, the problem is that there is no way to compare apples to apples as even within the same re-issue, the 33 rpm is mastered different from the 45 rpm.

There are a bunch of new LPs that distribute the music over 4 sides at 33 rpm with grooves that look wider than on some 45rpm albums I have. What I have found is that I loved every single one of those albums - Girl, Black Light Syndrome, Two Men With The Blues. May be it's the music. May be it's because my t/t set-up skills work only at 33rpm.

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

This is in regards to new, 12" vinyl platters. I recently acquired an album with two discs that play about 4-5 minutes per side.

Is there any gain in fidelity? I've seen some 12" singles have or had deeper grooves that I would presume gave more "sound pressure" or in the magnetic tape world would be called dynamic range (I think). Doesn't seem to be the case here though.

Anyway, after years of MSFL, RCA "Red Seal" etc., I'm wondering if there's any advantage to mastering a 12" vinyl at 45 rpm other than shortening the time the program plays on each side?

If I can find a piece of music I like at 45 rpm 12 inch disc I will pay the extra and buy it. I feel it sounds better it may be more care is taken with a 45 mastering as fussy people buy them. It may be because it is at a higher speed and all the reasons above or a bit of both. I think it is worth it to have something you really like at 45 rpm just my 2 cents worth.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
Great answers, as I would expect here.

I've seen the 12 inchers with the very wide trail-off. I records I was referring to spread the groove all the way across, mostly. It takes good lighting to see how far apart the grooves are, for me anyway.

Anyway, not something I obsess over, just wondering. And I appreciate the knowledge base here. Very interesting.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
On my 33.33 RPM Sheffield Drum Record, the 7 min song takes up almost the entire side. It is an extremely dynamic recording, direct to disk, and I'm not even sure that the material would even fit on one side if pressed at 45 RPM. Sonics are incredible at 33.33.

In general, my 45s sound better than my 33s of the same recordings. I find the low frequency information is better on the 45s.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing