Need help solving neighbor problem (bass escape)

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
I need help and suggestions from all members who may have had similar experience or who may have any inputs. I am having audiophile's nightmare...

Just when I reach new level of musical enjoyment in my own listening space after acquiring a pair of Vandy 7, my dear neighbor from one floor BELOW visited me, complaining of the loud music. At this point, the information I can collect is that he hears the BASS. Even when I turn down the volume to the lowest possible (TV volume), I get complaints. At such volume I am even better off with a headphone system. Eventually I would want to go in his room to hear it myself, but that may take some time.

I will try lowering down the bass boost on the Vandy EQ (I need to boost bass significantly at 40Hz - 70Hz on my left channels), but I doubt if it will make much of a difference to the neighbor, leave alone the sonic sacrifice I will have to make. I am thinking of getting some sort of speaker platform to put the Vandy on, but again, the shop does not think it will help much as the bass frequency travels along the floor. And no I cannot move out to a new place and I cannot buy the unit below me :(

Any inputs on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Leyenda,

This is some very sad news. What I'm going to say is even sadder. Short of building a room within a room, the right way, I might add, moving might likely be your best option.

LF waves are a lot like water, they will find a way to move around. Industrial type vinyl barriers between your floor surface and the floor substrate might help a little bit but LF will find a way down through the building's load bearing structure. In a trip I had last year, we were at a hotel and bass was whomping us in our room. It turns out there was a wedding party six, that's right, SIX floors above us.

Sorry man. If somebody knows a way to get around doing RWAR construction, I would really like to learn about it myself. Right now, I know no other way.

Best,

Jack

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I had a similar experience some years ago and was able to resolve it in two ways. It may not work in your situation, but I felt it worthy at least of letting you know.

1. I moved my gear into another room.
2. I dug in my heels and said that until 7pm comes, you have no basis to complain, unless the music is excessively loud.

Problem solved. I have not had one knock on my door since.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Tough one. Lived in 9 NYC apartments and it was often an issue. If you own, you could try to build a false floor that's isolated via channels and/or green glue from the existing floor, but this could be a lot of money and not be enough of a solution depending on how loud you want to play. It's long wavelength, so thickness really matters. I have three layers of 1/2" drywall on my basement (where my music/ht is) ceiling separated by green glue, along with 6" of denim insulation and another layer of drywall, and then oak flooring over that to the kitchen above, and deep bass still transmits upstairs somewhat if I turn it up.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Tough one. Lived in 9 NYC apartments and it was often an issue.
Right. It isn't NYC; it is the building construction. The time for considering this is before purchase if(!) listening to music is important to you. Part of my apartment shopping kit consisted of an RTA and foot-stomping, both supplementing what I hear. In the 25 years that I have had my present apartment, I have had only two complaints (from the same person on my floor) and both were justified as, somehow, I had been advancing the VC to silly levels. I just play it at whatever levels I like.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
One thing I will not tolerate anymore is being forced to listen to somebody else's music, and this means the bass. I live in a suburban house with double pane windows, and have insulated the walls, but the bass from boom-boom cars, or the morons who haul their stereo outside or have a DJ or a band for a party still goes right through the walls.

If I am inside with the doors and windows closed I do not want to hear/feel boom, boom, boom. Fortunately, my neighbors finally got it through their head not to blast their car stereo while sitting in the driveway, or on the street, and the police help with the outside music morons. Keep the bass out, and there is no problem, but unfortunately we are going through a musical phase loved by bass-holes.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
One thing I will not tolerate is being forced to listen to somebody else's music, and this means the bass. I live in a suburban house with double pane windows, and have insulated the walls, but the bass from boom-boom cars, or the morons who haul their stereo outside or have a DJ or a band for a party still goes right through the walls.

If I am inside with the doors and windows closed I do not want to hear/feel boom, boom, boom. Fortunately, my neighbors finally got it through their head not to blast their car stereo while sitting in the driveway, or on the street, and the police help with the outside music morons. Keep the bass out, and there is no problem, but unfortunately we are going through a musical phase loved by bass-holes.

Additionally and proportionately heightened by movie fans of blockbuster films that have little to offer in terms of story, but plenty of 'splosions!

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Additionally and proportionately heightened by movie fans of blockbuster films that have little to offer in terms of story, but plenty of 'splosions!

Yes. It always amazes me when people use movies with explosions as a reference to brag and/or demonstrate the 'capability' of their HT. The ability to accurately reproduce leaves rustling in the wind, footsteps, glass shattering, etc from all speakers is what makes a HT.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I had similar problem with my Velodyne DD18...I used an Auralex Subwoofer isolation platform and it really dropped the level considerably. Without the Auralex, my sub was going 2 levels down thru concrete slabs to disturb my neighbors. I think the Auralex might have worked for 2 reasons:

Basically, its made of acoustic foam and plywood underneath so at least mechanical/cabinet vibrations onto the floor are largely stopped.

Plus, because the Auralex cleaned up the bass, I managed to turn it down in terms of setup within my system.

Separately, I also found that by continuously seeking to lower the noise floor/distortions of the system, I discovered I got all the detail, bass, slam I wanted at much lower volume levels...so instead of 45, I now routinely leave it at 28-35...and late at night, I am perfectly happy at level 1 on the volume control...so quiet, you cannot hear it thru the door, let alone the hallway outside or downstairs thru the concrete slabs.

Good luck.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I am also going to be a bringer of bad tidings. Vandy 7s mean you are a serious phile, part of being a serious phile is having the wherewithal to be one, not just financial but in location. Andy Quint of TAS moved into a penthouse low rise and was vey concerned with neighbors, he purchased 2" pro sound isolation material (I have no idea what brand but TAS has emails to writers) and he still worries. I was there and he listens way too low (compared to me) even with the stuff.

I had an end unit townhouse twenty years ago and had to move the system to the basement to stop the police visits from the direct connected neighbor's complaints. BTW, I never had it on after 9pm. It was a nightmare. Talk about 'murder she almost wrote'.

I advise moving. If you love this "thing" as much I do, do whatever you can to move. Sell the whole system and start over in new digs to do so.

Trust me, it's worth it, we are only here once.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I need help and suggestions from all members who may have had similar experience or who may have any inputs. I am having audiophile's nightmare...

Just when I reach new level of musical enjoyment in my own listening space after acquiring a pair of Vandy 7, my dear neighbor from one floor BELOW visited me, complaining of the loud music. At this point, the information I can collect is that he hears the BASS. Even when I turn down the volume to the lowest possible (TV volume), I get complaints. At such volume I am even better off with a headphone system. Eventually I would want to go in his room to hear it myself, but that may take some time.

I will try lowering down the bass boost on the Vandy EQ (I need to boost bass significantly at 40Hz - 70Hz on my left channels), but I doubt if it will make much of a difference to the neighbor, leave alone the sonic sacrifice I will have to make. I am thinking of getting some sort of speaker platform to put the Vandy on, but again, the shop does not think it will help much as the bass frequency travels along the floor. And no I cannot move out to a new place and I cannot buy the unit below me :(

Any inputs on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

I think your only option at this point is to have your neighbors abducted and then rent out their apartment as well.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
As Peter mentions earlier if one is a serious Phile, a place with space is almost a necessity.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Leyenda. I will never figure out why folks insist on quiet surroundings when they surround themselves 10" away from neighbors.

Even with quiet wall construction techniques, one can STILL hear their neighbors at that close of a distance. If someone wants peace and quiet in their household, then they should move to a location where their neighbors aren't less than a foot away from them. To expect quiet surroundings when this close to surrounding neighbors on all sides is completely unrealistic. They always had the option to move out to a farm or hillside. Perhaps this would have been a better decision if quiet is what they wanted. Common sense if you ask me.

Common courtesy goes a long way. Suggestions such as turning it down after a certain time is considerate, kind and in most cases, it's the right thing to do. With that said, the courtesy should extend both ways. Your neighbor should be made aware of your concerns, just as they notified you of theirs. Do they know you are upset with them or that they unintentionally have presented an issue for you? They should.....but I wouldn't approach them with only your concerns and issues. I would suggest approaching them with your concerns along with a solution that pleases all parties. Have them let you know when they will be out of the house for extended periods of time, swap phone numbers, get to know them. Invite them up one evening for dinner and show them why you enjoy listening to music....let them hear and enjoy said system. At a reasonable level, of course.

Once they (if they) ever do come up to enjoy your system and they say that they like the sound, don't adjust the volume level and ask if you can come down to their place to see how enjoyable sound on your level sounds to them. Is it okay or do you really need to turn it down, discuss this with them. Work with them to possibly find a happy medium during the hours they are at home. Chances are, if they hear how low it is in your place, they may realize that perhaps they are being unreasonable with the expectation of absolute quiet. Maybe not but it's worth a try.

I have lived in many a townhouse and apartment (I currently have a neighbor 10" to the right and left of my residence) throughout my audio journey. I have tried this approach many times and you know what? If you are genuine and you show a genuine interest in the hobby, which you already do, and you share this interest with them and get to know them....good things can happen. My neighbors and I have agreed on a very reasonable courtesy cutoff time and we always let each other know our basic schedules...or when one of us will be out of town for the week or weekend. I have had three neighbors to the left of me, two to the right and I have been at this address for over a decade now. Not one complaint and definitely no police officer showing up or HOA breathing down my neck.....and trust me when I say that I play it loud at times. Sometimes loud for hours on end.

........Separately, I also found that by continuously seeking to lower the noise floor/distortions of the system, I discovered I got all the detail, bass, slam I wanted at much lower volume levels.......

Ditto.

Tom

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Isolation pads will at least reduce the mechanical transmission of bass energy. If that's the primary way bass is being transmitted to the apartment below, it will be a worthwhile improvement.

Do everything you can to reduce the noise floor in your room, as that will allow you to still hear and enjoy the low-level details at a reduced SPL. Like unplug the refrigerator and/or turn off the computer, that sort of thing.

Also switch to a nearfield listening setup, or at least try it.

I'm under the impression that dipole speakers transmit less bass energy through the walls and floors, but I may be mistaken.

All of this in addition to seeking a compromise with your neighbor.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Isolation pads will at least reduce the mechanical transmission of bass energy. If that's the primary way bass is being transmitted to the apartment below, it will be a worthwhile improvement.

Do everything you can to reduce the noise floor in your room, as that will allow you to still hear and enjoy the low-level details at a reduced SPL. Like unplug the refrigerator and/or turn off the computer, that sort of thing.

Also switch to a nearfield listening setup, or at least try it.

I'm under the impression that dipole speakers transmit less bass energy through the walls and floors, but I may be mistaken.

All of this in addition to seeking a compromise with your neighbor.

Seriously?

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Seriously?

Well... do remember to plug it back in when you're done listening, but if the refrigerator raises the noise floor noticeably, then it will be obscuring low-level detail when it's running. So can anything else you can hear when your system isn't playing music.

It's a free tweak, unless you have to buy an extension cord to make it practical.

If leyenda can't hear the 'fridge from his listening room then of course that suggestion doesn't apply, but the principle still does: Lower the noise floor and you can correspondingly reduce the SPL needed to hear the low-level details. It doesn't convey the same excitement as high SPL, but it's a lot more enjoyable than missing out on little details because of the noise floor in the room itself.

Think of what sort of noise floor a good piece of audio equipment has. If your room has a higher noise floor, then the room is the limiting factor at the bottom end of your useable dynamic range. So that's where there's the most... ah... "room" for improvement.

When I bought my first pair of SoundLabs, I only had a very modest amplifier (having sold everything else to fund the SoundLab purchase). That was when I discovered the benefits of lowering the noise floor to offset my system's inability to go up in volume level. In due course my piggy bank recovered and I got bigger amps.

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Well... do remember to plug it back in when you're done listening, but if the refrigerator raises the noise floor noticeably, then it will be obscuring low-level detail when it's running. So can anything else you can hear when your system isn't playing music.

I moved my refrigerator into the garage to eliminate the background noise.

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Thank you for all suggestions. Many are very useful. I will take delivery of the Auralex HT immediately to try to see if it helps or not - cheapest and easiest. Still, keep the suggestions/experience/thoughts rolling, thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing