Speakers "commonly" used with Spectral?

Rob.Petersen

May 6, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Hello everyone,

I've been reading through the Spectral conversations with interest. Sounds like a great product line. I'm curious to know what speakers people are using with Spectral? I've seen Avalon at Goodwin's and Magico somewhere-although I can't remember where.

Thanks for your time and knowledge.

Reactions: sthekepat

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
A friend of mine uses MBL 101E with his Spectral.

Rob.Petersen

May 6, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Thanks gentlemen.

I'll make my way to Goodwin's in a couple of months - despite having recently completed a new system, this brand intrigues me.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks gentlemen.

I'll make my way to Goodwin's in a couple of months - despite having recently completed a new system, this brand intrigues me.

I don't think you will be disappointed; here's a short video I took last night of some guests (not into high end, but music-oriented) with my iPhone; her reaction speaks for itself

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I don't think you will be disappointed; here's a short video I took last night of some guests (not into high end, but music-oriented) with my iPhone; her reaction speaks for itself

If every high end manufacturer had a video like that on their webpage instead of a photo of their newest, equipment, the hobby would be a lot more successful. It's not about the shiny toy; it's how the toys transport us and the joy the journey brings. Thanks for sharing one of the best videos on WBF!

Rob.Petersen

May 6, 2014
Vancouver, WA
If every high end manufacturer had a video like that on their webpage instead of a photo of their newest, equipment, the hobby would be a lot more successful. It's not about the shiny toy; it's how the toys transport us and the joy the journey brings. Thanks for sharing one of the best videos on WBF!

I agree.. Thanks for sharing the video ack.

GLP

May 21, 2014
Speakers with Spectral

Avalon Eidolon with DMA 260. Great synergy

+1 on Avalons. I have a pair of Avalon Eidolon Diamonds with my all Spectral system and can't imagine better.
It is a match made in heaven because the speed of the Diamonds perfectly matches the speed of the Spectral DMA-260 (soon to be a DMA-300RS) & DMC-30SS Series II.
Terry Menacker at Overture in Wilmington, DE, would be a great dealer for you to contact.
All the best,
-GLP

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
I've been extremely happy using the DMA-260 / DMC-30SS S2 with my Wilson Alexia's for over a year. Great value in driving these in my room whose size is 30x15x8 which should give you an idea of volume. I can't get much past 1/2 the volume indicator before my hair (what's left of it) is blown back, ala Memorex commercial (if you can recall that one).

Rob.Petersen

May 6, 2014
Vancouver, WA
I've been extremely happy using the DMA-260 / DMC-30SS S2 with my Wilson Alexia's for over a year. Great value in driving these in my room whose size is 30x15x8 which should give you an idea of volume. I can't get much past 1/2 the volume indicator before my hair (what's left of it) is blown back, ala Memorex commercial (if you can recall that one).

The Alexia's seem to be fantastic speakers. Never heard a bad word about them. Although I'm currently running with Rockports, I've always admired Wilson for their dynamics...

Rob.Petersen

May 6, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Hi Ack - so what do you think of the ML Neoliths? They look great - hope to hear them some day...
Interesting to see them with Simaudio gear at Munich - I wonder how that worked out. I seem to recall some years back, a number of people liked running Electrocompaniet on ML speakers.
Never mind, my heart is set on spending some time with Spectral !

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The Alexia's seem to be fantastic speakers. Never heard a bad word about them. Although I'm currently running with Rockports, I've always admired Wilson for their dynamics...

Agree on all. Which Rockports do you use? Big fan of Rockports! I have heard the Merak Sheritan IIs many years ago, and have since travelled (far) to hear the Altair 2s and Arrakis...both phenomenally good.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Ack - so what do you think of the ML Neoliths? They look great - hope to hear them some day...
Interesting to see them with Simaudio gear at Munich - I wonder how that worked out. I seem to recall some years back, a number of people liked running Electrocompaniet on ML speakers.
Never mind, my heart is set on spending some time with Spectral !

Also curious about Neoliths!

Rob.Petersen

May 6, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Agree on all. Which Rockports do you use? Big fan of Rockports! I have heard the Merak Sheritan IIs many years ago, and have since travelled (far) to hear the Altair 2s and Arrakis...both phenomenally good.

Hi Lloyd - I suspect we have some things in common. I'll post my system (as you do), once I figure out how to.
I use Altair2 with Gryphon Mephisto(hence my taking umbrage elsewhere on WBF) and Pandora, fronted by Stahl-Tek with a mix of PAD and Transparent cabling. To my ears, this system is awesome, but notwithstanding that, I've always enjoyed and admired Wilson Audio and recently my curiosity has been piqued by Spectral.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd - I suspect we have some things in common. I'll post my system (as you do), once I figure out how to.
I use Altair2 with Gryphon Mephisto(hence my taking umbrage elsewhere on WBF) and Pandora, fronted by Stahl-Tek with a mix of PAD and Transparent cabling. To my ears, this system is awesome, but notwithstanding that, I've always enjoyed and admired Wilson Audio and recently my curiosity has been piqued by Spectral.

Rob - Remarkable system!!! IMHO, one of the all-time great system setups. the mix of equipment is spot-on for my ears. In fact, you have no idea how close I came to trading in my Zanden for the Stahl-Tek!! It was mainly because I already owned the DAC that I ended up going for the Transport when it came around 2nd hand. I have labored and labored over the years to maximize its resolution and bass/slam solidity with NOS tubes, 'isolation sandwiches' for each of the 4 boxes...but I know the Stahl-Tek resolution is superior. Good for you.

Yes, I bet your system is indeed awesome!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Lloyd - I suspect we have some things in common. I'll post my system (as you do), once I figure out how to...

Hi Rob - go to Settings in your top right hand corner of the screen. Then along the left of the screen down about halfway, you should see Edit Signature. This is where you can put your system in. If you select particular words, and then hit CNTRL B, that should bold those after you have saved. Look forward to seeing your signature!

Rob.Petersen

May 6, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Hi Rob - go to Settings in your top right hand corner of the screen. Then along the left of the screen down about halfway, you should see Edit Signature. This is where you can put your system in. If you select particular words, and then hit CNTRL B, that should bold those after you have saved. Look forward to seeing your signature!
Ok, will do....w/o hijacking the thread I started, some months back I spent some time considering Colosseum monos vs. Mephisto stereo. Even wrote to Jeff Fritz @ Ultra Audio...ultimately, my choice between the two came down to money. I fully understand your staying with the Zanden front-end....I'd expect that something mind-boggling good would have to come along to sell up Zanden...Spent any time with the Zanden 2500S btw?

Back on thread, it would be great to have a listen to the ML Neoliths with Spectral - likely a real departure from my system.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Ahhh!!! You are the one who wrote to Jeff! I saw that. And my recollection is that I was inclined to agree with his recommendation (and your decision.). Did you end up comparing Colosseum to Mephisto? My sense is that your amp retains/improves on the intense sweetness the Antileon had...while having all the clarity or more of the Colosseum.

If I had to gamble, I'd still bet on Altair over Neolith. I really enjoyed my audition with them.

Rob.Petersen

May 6, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Ahhh!!! You are the one who wrote to Jeff! I saw that. And my recollection is that I was inclined to agree with his recommendation (and your decision.). Did you end up comparing Colosseum to Mephisto? My sense is that your amp retains/improves on the intense sweetness the Antileon had...while having all the clarity or more of the Colosseum.

If I had to gamble, I'd still bet on Altair over Neolith. I really enjoyed my audition with them.

Yes, I heard them both - very comparable and yes, the Mephisto was/is very reminiscent of the Antileon as you say. It's as though everything in the Antileon had been improved upon - noise floor in particular. The Mephisto is dead silent. In so many ways the Pandora/Mephisto are a throwback to the Sonata Allegro/Antileon - but just better. Gryphon has been doing their homework.

In the end, I sensed a "euphony"(?) in the Mephisto that the Colosseum didn't have - it just appeals to my ears. Someone else...maybe not. But it's important to note that we're talking SMALL amounts here. It's very likely that one could tune/attenuate these differences with their room, accompanying gear, etc. Ultimately however, the deal maker was $30K difference, which I then moved to the speaker portion of my budget.

All that said, the Colosseum is a world-class performer and the most stylish piece of gear I've ever set eyes upon.

Finally, I wouldn't look to compare the Neolith to the Altair - apples and oranges IMHO. The Neolith just struck me as a very interesting looking product.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing