Four triode amplifiers for sale, personal inventory clearance 300b, wavac etc.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I am selling the following units and am presenting them here in case any members would be interested. Please send me a private mail, and I can send pictures of the units.

WAVAC 811a 15 watt DHT amplifier.

Blond fascia, rare 1 volt sensitivity input model (most are 2v sensitivity).

This unit has been modified as follows: One input indicated with red sticky has been DIRECT WIRED with silver wire. The volume knob will null the ground and turn this direct wired input off, but when engaged, the volume knob completes the ground and both the volume attenuator and the selector switch are bypassed for direct input to use the unit as a full output power amplifier WITHOUT volume control. The DIRECT WIRED input is indicated with the red sticker (picture)

The other two inputs are still volume controlled and switchable with the source switch, but the DIRECT input needs to be disengaged to use these. The other two switchable inputs allow the amplifierto be used as an integrated amplifier with volume control. In other words, use either the DIRECT input, which is always connected, or the other two switchable inputs which are volume controlled WITHOUT the DIRECT connected. Do not use the DIRECT input and the switchable inputs at the same time as they will sum.

The Wavac 811A sounds best when used the DIRECT WIRE connection with an external preamplifier.

Telefunken 12AU7 input tubes. I believe the item is factory set for 8 ohms, but the transformer also has other taps that can be internally re-wired.

Can also be used with 572b anode capped tubes as direct drop in, to get carbon plate sound. 572b's are also run conservatively and are extremely durable. Both 811a tubes and 572b's can be obtained at very reasonable cost.

Wonderful all transformer coupled ITT Wavac sound at a bargain price, punches higher than the 15 watts would indicate. I forgot to throw in the power cord when packing, but it takes standard three prong computer cord.

Unit is double box packed in its original WAVAC packing. The glass shield is intact upon shipping, and the tubes are all good. HOWEVER, I CAN OFFER NO WARRANTY of any kind on this unit, neither for the glass shield or the tubes. It has been tested to work and sound good prior to shipping. If the glass shield does not make it, a local glass shop can make another to spec. The glass shield is beautiful but VERY FRAGILE. I will insure package when shipping.

FEDEX CONUS only.

$2400 plus $120 S&H

NO WARRANTY IMPLIED OR EXPRESSED, UNIT IS PURCHASED AS IS and AS DELIVERED.

APRIL SOUND 300b Amplifier, 10 watts/channel Power Amp, needs preamplifier or volume controlled input
This unit was made by April Sound, custom constructors of high end tube amps and preamps.

Attractive fascia and top quality parts. Circuit utilizes Cerinate, Black Gate caps, multiple chokes and high end Nature Sound Nickel/high Permalloy transformers. The input circuit utilizes 6SN7 tubes choke loaded with Tango chokes. Rectifier can be either 5U4 type or 5AR4 type. 5AR4 type would give a soft start delay.

Nature Sound output transformers are considered the equals of the high end Tangos, after Tango when out of business, and are rarely found outside of Japan, but used to be sold by April Sound.
http://home.earthlink.net/~aprilsound/catalog.html

Testing with 5,000 hour Golden Dragon 300b's and cheap, 3 inch Radio Shack speakers (used as final check for function) and an ipod, this amp can puts up a deep, wide mesmerizing sound stage with detailed, luxurious sound.

300b tubes ARE NOT INCLUDED. Will send 5U4 rectifier and 6SN7 type tubes. Most people already have their own 300b's, and the ancient Golden Dragon tubes probably would not make it anyway. Unit has been used with Sovtek, JJ, and TJ Mesh 300bs, all with great results.

The sockets for some reason are at 90 degree angles to each other. In other words, it is normal for the grids of the 300b tubes to be at right angles to each other instead of parallel. I don't know if this was a design characteristic, but it looks like it was. Check carefully to make sure tubes are inserted correctly.

Presently wired for 6 ohms, 4 ohm wire is taped off and not presently attached, but outputs are easily rewired for 4, 6, 8 or 16 ohm operation just by removing transformer cover with screw driver and re-soldering to new output.

Unit is sold AS IS with no warranty implied or expressed of any kind, either on unit or tubes. It was tested for good function before packing and shipping. Again, NO 300b tubes are included in sale. Very straight forward topology, can be handled by any decent tube tech.

Unit is extremely heavy, as the transformers are huge and heavy for a 300b amp, so shipping will be a bit high.

$1600, S&H $110, DOES NOT INCLUDE 300b, but input type 6sn7 and rectifier included, FEDEX CONUS only.

AGAPE 300b integrated amplifier 10 watts/channel

Volume controlled 300b, James Transformers, uses Russian CRYO input tubes.

Great 300b sound, open, spacious. James Transformers are quite good.

4 and 8 ohm taps with high quality binding posts.

Asking $1200 plus $110 S&H to CONUS only. Again, AS IS received.

Uses 5u4 rectifier tube. Input tubes and rectifier included.

NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WAS TESTED TO BE WORKING WHEN PACKED.

NO 300B TUBES INCLUDED. You will have to use your own 300b tubes.

WAVAC 572 DHT integrated amplifier, 50 watts per channel(as per manufacturer, but more likely about 40 watts DHT)

This is one of two these amplifiers that I own. I am keeping one and selling one. The one I am selling is the better sample of the two.

This amplifier originally used a 572-160 DHT tube with no anode cap. These tubes were audio only variations of the original 572 Svetlana transmitting tube and are out of production. The Svetlana 572-160 is identical to the 572B anode capped transmitting tube in specifications and curves. The 572B anode capped transmitting tube, however, has a larger glass envelope and is much more rugged and longer lasting than the 572-160 tubes.

The 572B anode capped tubes are also still produced, and can be purchased for about $120 shipped per pair. Svetlanas are recommended. These tubes last for about 1500 hours then fade gently after that to about 2000 hours. Usually they terminate quietly either with cathode failure or they just stop providing power to the signal and can be replaced.

This amplifier has been modified to use the 572B anode capped tubes.

Diodes were rebuilt a couple of years by Nick Gowan. The original owner replaced the volume pots with precision types and the binding posts with 4 ways. Inputs are 4 ohm and 8 ohm.

Input tubes are 12at7 types and 6v6 pentodes triode strapped.

This amplifier sounds just wonderful, lit up with an internal, slightly golden brilliance that seems unique to the DHT transmitting tube amplifiers. As far as price per watt for single ended DHT sound with Tango transformers, there is probably no better deal than this amp. At 60 pound weight, it is also a lot lighter than most DHT transmitting amps of this power rating.

Amplifier and tubes shipped to CONUS ONLY. $3400 for amplifier, $120 for Shipping and handling.

NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND CAN BE OFFERED, UNIT WILL BE INSURED. Sold AS IS> PLEASE BE FAMILIAR WITH DHT AMPLIFIERS AND BE AWARE OF DANGERS OF HIGH VOLTAGES.

PLEASE SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE IF YOU WANT PICTURES OF THESE AMPLIFIERS. All units will be insured on shipment.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing