dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com

Douger33

Jan 19, 2013
Omaha NE
Hi Dale, I have been on the list to upgrade my Mad Dogs since last October or November. However, since reading your comparison of the voicing I have been waffling about getting rid of the MD's, so I can decide for myself. At RMAF 2013 I heard the AD's with the Cavalli Liquid Glass amp, and if I can get that level of performance with my Van Alstine Transcendance 8+ I will be happy. However, I am really delighted with my
Grado PS1000 through the 8+... It kills everything else I have 8>) !
Tuesday I will receive my Alpha Dogs (the off-color ones, not upgrades) so I will see and let you know.

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com
Great to hear, especially that you have a good amp - valves no less. Well, the Alpha Dog would seem to be the opposite of the PS1000 - from a very rich sound to a cool neutral. I had the PS500 - nothing like the 1000 though. This should be an interesting experience.

Douger33

Jan 19, 2013
Omaha NE
My AD's came this morning so I've had a few hours to check them out. I am getting the same rich, meaty music that I remember from RMAF 2013... More in a few days!

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
after hearing them last week I ordered one in black , have you guys experimented with the bass tuning and 'doggie treats'?

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com
after hearing them last week I ordered one in black , have you guys experimented with the bass tuning and 'doggie treats'?

I've gotten conflicting reports on the bass tuning. My headband tag shows left=5 and right=4, and a marking for V='1e', whatever 'V' stands for. My sense is that the drivers are different and there's factory tuning that gets them in agreement with each other, but turning the bass port setting so that the bass is increased by the same exact amount on each side may be tricky or cause problems, unless MrSpeakers does it.

The insert pads don't make sense to me, since the default treble on new units is already at least 5 db below Senn HD800 level, and I don't have one track in 2500 that sounds harsh with that tuning. According to MrSpeakers, removing the pads already on the drivers would make the treble more choppy, but not stronger or more extended.

Douger33

Jan 19, 2013
Omaha NE
After all I have read, the performance I am getting is just what I was hoping for. I don't plan on further tuning or modification.

Douger33

Jan 19, 2013
Omaha NE
Hello, sorry to take so long but I have been busy and meanwhile everything has been breaking in and I have a better opinion! My Alpha Dogs are very satisfying to me, and just yesterday I listened for a while to Audeze closed phones through a MacIntosh headphone amp using a CDR of Beethoven's Last Night, Tran-Siberian Orchestra. Absolutely very musical, drew me in completely...
When I got home I listened to my AD's through my Transcendance 8+ and found that they are close enough for me, a good thing because money is tight again and I couldn't change if I wanted...

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com
Good to hear. That you can be satisfied with the big planar and the Alpha Dog as well, will be welcome news to a lot of users.

Douger33

Jan 19, 2013
Omaha NE
A more definitive comparison... A couple of weeks ago I was able to listen to the LCD-3's in my home, so I nailed down my thoughts and experience. I carefully compared them
to my Grado PS1000's, HiFiMan HE500's, and Alpha Dogs. They all played all the music faithfully, with differences in presentation. The PS1000's were the most revealing. The
HE500's were the most challenged in the bass, and that could be a function of little use in the past year. It was also not a great, deal-breaking difference, but noticeable.
The LCD-3's are extremely well-built and beautiful, and the most expensive. They are on my lottery list... The Alpha Dogs are also quite well-built, beautiful, and gave a similar
presentation to the LCD-3's, but somewhat recessed. There was no glaring defect among any of them.

Douger33

Jan 19, 2013
Omaha NE
Since the last post I finally had a chance to compare my Mad Dog with Alpha Dog, the Alpha conveys more ambience so the Mad Dog seems more focussed on bass, so I think i am agreeing with your findings.

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com
The PS1000 would be good to have. If only I can find $1700 somewhere.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing