45 RPM Phoebe Snow & 45 RPM The Poll Winners

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
45 RPM Phoebe Snow & 45 RPM The Poll Winners

I pickup up copies of both of these albums during Axpona Chicago.

I really enjoy the 45 RPM copy of The Poll Winners. The 45 RPM Phoebe Snow... Not so much (performance).

Are there better copies of either one? If so how do they compare?

Dre

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
You mean Phoebe Snow, right?

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Yep. Hopefully an admin will fix it in the thread title...

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
What didn't you like about it? I've been wanting this for some time, but then I get sidetracked to some others. It's one of my fave albums.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yep. Hopefully an admin will fix it in the thread title...

Both are great, I turned Mark onto the latter a while back. The original B/G is very good too better in some ways like information and not in others like dynamics.

The Phoebe is rock and I cut it some slack. :)

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
What didn't you like about it? I've been wanting this for some time, but then I get sidetracked to some others. It's one of my fave albums.

The LP is nice. The sound quality is really good and dynamic as Myles said. However, for those sparse bluesy songs, her voice is too sweet, IMO. I prefer a bit more passion and power. This is just a personal preference nothing more.

Dre

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The LP is nice. The sound quality is really good and dynamic as Myles said. However, for those sparse bluesy songs, her voice is too sweet, IMO. I prefer a bit more passion and power. This is just a personal preference nothing more.

Dre

If you want to sell it.......let me know.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
i have the 45 of Phoebe Snow too and like it, but my 33 rpm DCC pressing might be better overall. i have not played it in ages and will need to drag it out and listen to it.

some of those DCC's are really great.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I have the Phoebe Snow 45. I like it but I don't tend to spin it a lot. Not sure about other pressings.

Last edited:

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
i have the 45 of Phoebe Snow too and like it, but my 33 rpm DCC pressing might be better overall. i have not played it in ages and will need to drag it out and listen to it.

some of those DCC's are really great.

Mike, Let me know how the DCC compares. I enjoy my DCC Saxophone Colossus so I'm interested in how the DCC of Phoebe Snow compares.

I have the Phoebe Snow 45. I like it but I don't tend to spin it a lot. Not sure about other pressings.
Thanks Sean. BTW: The Poll Winners is trio Jazz (Bass, Guitar, and Drums) and it is enjoyable music.

Both are great, I turned Mark onto the latter a while back. The original B/G is very good too better in some ways like information and not in others like dynamics.

The Phoebe is rock and I cut it some slack. :)
Thanks Myles

Dre

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks Sean. BTW: The Poll Winners is trio Jazz (Bass, Guitar, and Drums) and it is enjoyable music.

Dre

Also remember that Poll Winners was recorded in 1957 and one of Contemporary's earliest (but not the earliest; for instance the Bob Cooper that I didn't play for you is one of the original four Contemporary recordings) forays into that new stereo technology. And for those who doubt that stereo can cast a credible illusion, you need new speakers.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Also remember that Poll Winners was recorded in 1957 and one of Contemporary's earliest (but not the earliest; for instance the Bob Cooper that I didn't play for you is one of the original four Contemporary recordings) forays into that new stereo technology. And for those who doubt that stereo can cast a credible illusion, you need new speakers.

And let there be no doubt there are doubters right here on this forum.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing