TechDAS AF1 Stainless Steel upper platter.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
My platter is new from TechDAS unless someone isn't telling the truth... that said...the SS platter bought when the TT first came out is no different than one that can be bought today. The poron mat does not need to be glued on in order to use it. The vacuum holds it secure with the record. I will try both with and without as time goes by. Like I said, last night was the first time using it w/o the mat. I need more listening time to be more definitive on my preference. There is no one shoe size fits all approach. All of our systems and rooms are going to sound quite different relatively speaking.

I just tried with my platter, the mat isn't removable and stuck on tight like the duralumin one. I'm not saying that there's a best here or pushing for the ss over the other platters, the issue I'm trying to figure out with you guys is the discontinuity that you both mentioned. We might not end up liking the same tonal qualities of each platter but we shouldn't have this kind of difference.

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
I just tried with my platter, the mat isn't removable and stuck on tight like the duralumin one. I'm not saying that there's a best here or pushing for the ss over the other platters, the issue I'm trying to figure out with you guys is the discontinuity that you both mentioned. We might not end up liking the same tonal qualities of each platter but we shouldn't have this kind of difference.

Perhaps it is not totally surprising that the added energy at the frequency extremes from the SS platter might suit your system better than Christian's or Stargate's old system. BTW, Stargate now also has Lamm LL1 and ML3 in his system (with the LP1 possibly next): maybe another platter shootout is in order.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Perhaps it is not totally surprising that the added energy at the frequency extremes from the SS platter might suit your system better than Christian's or Stargate's old system. BTW, Stargate now also has Lamm LL1 and ML3 in his system (with the LP1 possibly next): maybe another platter shootout is in order.

I realize that Christian and I have totally different systems and that could lead preferring one platter over the other, its the discontinuity that you also reported which is bothering me. It can't be just a little subtlety when all of you noticed it so clearly, that shouldn't be.

I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with Stargate or his system.

david

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
I realize that Christian and I have totally different systems and that could lead preferring one platter over the other, its the discontinuity that you also reported which is bothering me. It can't be just a little subtlety when all of you noticed it so clearly, that shouldn't be.

I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with Stargate or his system.

The way I originally described what I heard was that the frequency extremes appeared to be not as well integrated with the midrange (in Stargate's old system), by which I simply meant that there was excess energy. So we are probably in full agreement other than in deciding which platter is closer to neutral, which is irrelevant anyhow, since it all boils down to system matching.

Stargate's old system at the time of the shootout had a prototype Graham Phantom Elite with Dynavector XV-1t, Nordost Odin tonearm cable, ARC Reference Phono, ARC Reference Anniversary, CAT JL3 Statement and Eventus Nebula.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I am a believer of the feedback loop both ways concept...record/stylus/tonearm/plinth, bearing or motor and bearing for DD, record platter/record itself and then in reverse (like A/C current) The poron mat is now part of the loop..rather another layer of interface with it's own sound signature. It's hard to know what sounds better when a platter comes installed with a glued on mat. It is removable though if you are careful and patient... and if you screw up. ...$150.00 for a new one. I am for no mat on the SS at least. I am sticking with this setup for a while. Why be a slave to the poron's sound signature ? Nishakawa-san was asked by me if active isolation tables would be of benefit. He said no. My conclusions when using one are opposite.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I am a believer of the feedback loop both ways concept...record/stylus/tonearm/plinth, bearing or motor and bearing for DD, record platter/record itself and then in reverse (like A/C current) The poron mat is now part of the loop..rather another layer of interface with it's own sound signature. It's hard to know what sounds better when a platter comes installed with a glued on mat. It is removable though if you are careful and patient... and if you screw up. ...$150.00 for a new one. I am for no mat on the SS at least. I am sticking with this setup for a while. Why be a slave to the poron's sound signature ? Nishakawa-san was asked by me if active isolation tables would be of benefit. He said no. My conclusions when using one are opposite.

This makes sense Christian and I'm not surprised that the active isolation table improves further the performance of your Techdas, which already incorporates some pretty impressive isolation. Given the reasoning above, have you tried removing the HRS platform between the Techdas and Herzan to eliminate its sonic signature from the chain? I think you may have discussed this in the past and concluded that you needed the footprint of the HRS to help with the placement of the TechDas on the Herzan, but I can't remember.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
This makes sense Christian and I'm not surprised that the active isolation table improves further the performance of your Techdas, which already incorporates some pretty impressive isolation. Given the reasoning above, have you tried removing the HRS platform between the Techdas and Herzan to eliminate its sonic signature from the chain? I think you may have discussed this in the past and concluded that you needed the footprint of the HRS to help with the placement of the TechDas on the Herzan, but I can't remember.

The HRS platform indeed does have a sound signature. When I showed the AF1 at CES 2 years ago, we tried the table on the HRS and without, and Nishikawa-san also preferred it off the HRS.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
The HRS platform indeed does have a sound signature. When I showed the AF1 at CES 2 years ago, we tried the table on the HRS and without, and Nishikawa-san also preferred it off the HRS.

Did you have the HRS rack or just the shelf? I found the HRS rack too light for this table with negative effects on the AF1, didn't get a chance to try the shelf alone on a more solid and massive platform.

david

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Did you have the HRS rack or just the shelf? I found the HRS rack too light for this table with negative effects on the AF1, didn't get a chance to try the shelf alone on a more solid and massive platform.

david

We had the whole rack - unfortunately, the room at CES was quite small and the speakers kinda large. So, the rack rang. We had to move the AF1 off the rack. On the other rack, we still didn't like the HRS shelf, but the design philosophies of the two were different and didn't mix well.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
We had the whole rack - unfortunately, the room at CES was quite small and the speakers kinda large. So, the rack rang. We had to move the AF1 off the rack. On the other rack, we still didn't like the HRS shelf, but the design philosophies of the two were different and didn't mix well.

I had the HRS rack in a large room and away from the speakers, same problem.

david

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

I spoke with Bob. The one gentleman (number95 on a-gon) who said he received his arm was one used by Musical Surroundings at the Chicago show. I was assured that AF1 owners who wanted the Elite are will get their's first before other orders are filled. This should happen shortly.

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
I spoke with Bob. The one gentleman (number95 on a-gon) who said he received his arm was one used by Musical Surroundings at the Chicago show. I was assured that AF1 owners who wanted the Elite are will get their's first before other orders are filled. This should happen shortly.

I was told the same.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing