Classic 1 vs Classic 2

joneill

Feb 22, 2014
Without mutiple arm wands in a set up, is "VTA on-the-fly" that big of a consideration in comparing the VPI Classic 1 vs Classic 2?

With my Superscout Master, I don't think I ever thought I needed to adjst the VTA record by record evn with the 200 gram 45's.

Also, I see VPI has raised the MSRP on their Classic TT this month approx $500.00.

Your feedback welcomed!

Thanks you in advanced.

Jim

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I owned a classic I along with my current TNT with the JMW 10 arm and feel the VTA tower is a nice to have feature but not necessary, the ships wheel collar on the entry model works just as well. why are you going from the super scoutmaster to a classic I?

joneill

Feb 22, 2014
I owned a classic I along with my current TNT with the JMW 10 arm and feel the VTA tower is a nice to have feature but not necessary, the ships wheel collar on the entry model works just as well. why are you going from the super scoutmaster to a classic I?

Sold the Super Scoutmaster last year and am currently using a VPI Scout 1.1 as an interium TT. I will give 1.1 table to my son whe I replace it.

Dealer thinks the Classic is the direction to go. (although he is pushing the 2 & 3 models)

I auditioned few weeks ago and it definitely sounds different than the Scout family TT.

Thanks,

Jim

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Sold the Super Scoutmaster last year and am currently using a VPI Scout 1.1 as an interium TT. I will give 1.1 table to my son whe I replace it.

Dealer thinks the Classic is the direction to go. (although he is pushing the 2 & 3 models)

I auditioned few weeks ago and it definitely sounds different than the Scout family TT.

Thanks,

Jim

which do you think sounds better? I sold the classic and kept the TNT, mines got the Mk V platter/bearing.

joneill

Feb 22, 2014
which do you think sounds better? I sold the classic and kept the TNT, mines got the Mk V platter/bearing.

Better........well maybe just different strengths.

I grew up in the early 60's without TV. My father was a "vinyl-phile" and FM radio man. Music flowed at our house as we read after dinner and listened to his Empire TT spin the likes of Nat King Cole, Frank Sintra, Bing Crosby, Glen Miller, Perry Como and other contemporaries of the day. To my ear, the Classic 1 strength captures the essence of the performancer and reminds me very much of "that sound" if you will.

By my sonic memory, the SSM had better bass but had a much "darker" and cooler, presentation with less PRAT at least in my set up. So it will be time for a change to take through the next 10+ years I hope.

As always, YMMV.

Jim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing