Whatsbestforums Super Disc List

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
A sincere thank to you all the contributers to this thread. I am sure it's going to lead me to discover a lot of new & great sounding music.

What is the criteria for adding to this thread? Something that you feel excels both musically and sonically or is just one of those elements sufficient?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
A sincere thank to you all the contributers to this thread. I am sure it's going to lead me to discover a lot of new & great sounding music.

What is the criteria for adding to this thread? Something that you feel excels both musically and sonically or is just one of those elements sufficient?

IMO, criteria should be sonics. Musical excellence is more a matter of personal taste.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Thread seems to have lost momentum.

Myles, what about those Russian composers?

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
I agree with your thoughts on those I've highlighted in blue. Couple of questions/thoughts though.

1. Do you have the Speakers Corner of Supertramp's COTC? I have not heard the Mofi, but the SC reissue is one of the best reissues of any record that I own. That's a big statement I know, but there are many who share my point of view.
2. I need to check the matrix #'s on my copy of Rumours, but I didn't think the 45RPM was a major improvement, if an improvement at all. I've played it a few times, but now its stored away.
3. Completely agree on Jack Johnson and I own all of his LP's as well. They sound great and they're cheap.

John

The Jack Johnson records are really nice musically but the masterings are really compressed. So I would not call the sound great. Damm the loudness war.

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
Having just seen The Afghan Whigs friday night, I would throw in Blackberry Belle by the Twilight Singers, and The Gutter Twins Saturnalia on sub pop, great sounding lps and amazing music, especially BB.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The Jack Johnson records are really nice musically but the masterings are really compressed. So I would not call the sound great. Damm the loudness war.

They aren't audiophile grade for sure, but they sound very good nonetheless. I honestly don't get the impression that anything is missing. YMMV

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...Roger Waters: Amused to Death (Vinyl or Sony Masterdisc long box)

Thanks for this, Gary...my 2nd hand Sony Masterdisc longbox just arrived. Just listened to it...great stuff.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Wow, so far I've received, cleaned and listened to these three from Myles' list:

Bach: Quodlibet, Telefunken SAWT 9457-A (Black/Gold is the pressing to get)
Rennaissance Music for Two Lutes, Titanic Records Ti-15
Laurindo Almeida: Virtuoso Guitar, Crystal Clear CCS 8001

I'm VERY happy with each of these. Great analog gems! Thank you!!!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Wow, so far I've received, cleaned and listened to these three from Myles' list:

Bach: Quodlibet, Telefunken SAWT 9457-A (Black/Gold is the pressing to get)
Rennaissance Music for Two Lutes, Titanic Records Ti-15
Laurindo Almeida: Virtuoso Guitar, Crystal Clear CCS 8001

I'm VERY happy with each of these. Great analog gems! Thank you!!!

Glad to hear you enjoyed some of the choices!

Reminds me I have to work on that list a little more. :)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Myles, should this one be the 'Reunion at Carnegie Hall'?

Weavers at Carnegie Hall, Vanguard VSD 2150/Analogue Productions

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
Just Listened to the Lucinda Williams MOV Car Wheels on a Gravel Road release, and it is a great sounding record. A long time overdue on vinyl, and does not disappoint.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles, should this one be the 'Reunion at Carnegie Hall'?

Weavers at Carnegie Hall, Vanguard VSD 2150/Analogue Productions

Yes.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Just Listened to the Lucinda Williams MOV Car Wheels on a Gravel Road release, and it is a great sounding record. A long time overdue on vinyl, and does not disappoint.
Does anyone here know the original recording format for this album?

SergioRZ

Jul 14, 2014
I would have to fine tune (or update) some of the items on this list:

=== Miles Davies - Kind Of Blue (200g, 45RPM LP) - Classic Records (RCA Living Stereo)

This one is a very tough choice because the Classic Records sounds great in 33rpm and 45rpm vinyl, but the latest 50th Anniversary remastered and cut 100% analog from Original Master Tapes also sounds great (and different).

I bet the forthcoming MFSL 45rpm LP of KOB will be the absolute best if it follows the same quality work done on the other Miles Davis titles recently...

=== Miles Davies - Sketches Of Spain (200G, 45RPM LP) Classic Records (Columbia)

Compared this one to the new MFSL LP, and the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab is the best in my opinion.

=== Dave Brubeck Trio - Time Out (UltraHD CD) - Sony Records (Columbia Records)

The Classic Records LP's (on 33 or 45 rpm) kill this and any other version in existence. (avoid the latest Analogue Productions reissue cut from unknown source, it sounds lifeless... one of the very few bad AP reissues)

=== Al Di Meola, Paco de Lucia & John McLaughlin - Friday Night In San Fransisco (UltraHD CD) Sony Records (Columbia Records)

Original Recordings Group (ORG 2LP 45rpm) cut by Bernie Grundman... one of the best LP's you'll ever hear, makes the original LP and all digital versions pale in comparison (as good as some of them were until now). Behold the power of guitar strings transients! That pure energy is not found on any other release of this performance...

=== Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto (UltraHD CD) - First Impression Music (Verve)

The Analogue Productions reissue on 2LP at 45rpm cut by the late George Marino at Sterling Sound is the ultimate and definitive version of this fundamental album. Finally using original master tapes without reversed or panned channels, exactly as it should sound with the sound stage replicating the musicians positions as it were in the studio. The tonal accuracy is quite incredible on this reissue, the sax sounds... there! (and I play tenor sax)

=== John Coltrane - Blue Train (200G, 45RPM LP) - Classic Records (Blue Note)

Music Matters 33rpm Mono LP is the ultimate reissue of Blue Train. The AP 2LP 45rpm reissue wasn't bad at all, but it was stereo... this album really sounds best in the mono mix, and Music Matters (Kevin Gray) made it sound better than ever!

=== Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon (SACD) - EMI (Capitol Records)

The 30th Anniversary reissue cut all analog from Original Master Tapes with work done by Kevin Gray and Doug Sax, is a very special "document" as it represents probably the one and only time when the cut was made without rolling off the higher frequencies. This LP reissue represents, like nothing else on any format, the actual sound on the Master Tapes, and it was a bit criticized exactly because of its pure character.... I for one LOVE IT, but I also love my UK first pressing very much (and it sounds quite different).

=== Steely Dan - Aja (Gold CD) - Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs (Geffen Records)

Cisco Records 30th Anniversary LP... stunning!

=== Cat Stevens - Tea For The Tillerman (200g, 45RPM - Analogue Productions (A&M Records)

This is 33rpm, not 45rpm. Great LP reissue!

:)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
=== Al Di Meola, Paco de Lucia & John McLaughlin - Friday Night In San Fransisco (UltraHD CD) Sony Records (Columbia Records)

Original Recordings Group (ORG 2LP 45rpm) cut by Bernie Grundman... one of the best LP's you'll ever hear, makes the original LP and all digital versions pale in comparison (as good as some of them were until now). Behold the power of guitar strings transients! That pure energy is not found on any other release of this performance...

I only have the Speakers Corner (33rpm) reissue of this and I quite like it. I'm quite sure the ORG 45RPM beats it though.

=== Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon (SACD) - EMI (Capitol Records)

The 30th Anniversary reissue cut all analog from Original Master Tapes with work done by Kevin Gray and Doug Sax, is a very special "document" as it represents probably the one and only time when the cut was made without rolling off the higher frequencies. This LP reissue represents, like nothing else on any format, the actual sound on the Master Tapes, and it was a bit criticized exactly because of its pure character.... I for one LOVE IT, but I also love my UK first pressing very much (and it sounds quite different).

LP- I have an orginal Canadian press, 20th Anniversary Canadian press, 30th Anniversary EU press, UK Harvest A3/B3 press and the MFSL. I did a comparison on the weekend between the UK A3/B3 and the MFSL. IMO the A3/B3 was clearly superior to the MFSL.

=== Steely Dan - Aja (Gold CD) - Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs (Geffen Records)

Cisco Records 30th Anniversary LP... stunning!

Agreed!:)

=== Cat Stevens - Tea For The Tillerman (200g, 45RPM - Analogue Productions (A&M Records)

This is 33rpm, not 45rpm. Great LP reissue!

:)
The 33RPM QRP is very nice. I prefer my German Island Pink Label pressing however.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
=== Miles Davies - Kind Of Blue (200g, 45RPM LP) - Classic Records (RCA Living Stereo)

This one is a very tough choice because the Classic Records sounds great in 33rpm and 45rpm vinyl, but the latest 50th Anniversary remastered and cut 100% analog from Original Master Tapes also sounds great (and different).

I bet the forthcoming MFSL 45rpm LP of KOB will be the absolute best if it follows the same quality work done on the other Miles Davis titles recently...

The vinyl in my 50th Anniversary set unfortunately is too noisy to listen to (bad luck I'm sure). While I will check out the MFSL version when it arrives and I know it will be pressed well, I don't have high hopes on the mastering based on what I heard on Round About Midnight. Just awful.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
For me, no reissue tops the original 6-eye mono pressings of "Kind of Blue" and "Sketches of Spain"....

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
how about some new 2014 LPs

DCF.jpg DH_cover-400x400.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing