True RTA

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Has anyone set up TrueRTA? Was wondering how accurate it is, hard is it to calibrate, set up and use, what soundcard do you use, etc.?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Has anyone set up TrueRTA? Was wondering how accurate it is, hard is it to calibrate, set up and use, what soundcard do you use, etc.?
Setup is trivial. Any mic/sound card will work but a USB mic makes it simple.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Setup is trivial. Any mic/sound card will work but a USB mic makes it simple.

Thanks, I was thinking of using it in conjunction with the AS cartridge alignment LP.

jdza

May 3, 2010
I have used true RTA for almost 10 years now.It kept me sane and played a huge role while I was designing and building( well having it built ) my speaker system. I mainly use REW now for room/speaker measurements but true RTA can still do stuff that REW can't and vice versa.It has eg a facility for holding peaks so is valuable for measuring tape recorder FR with a test tape sweep or phono system FR with an appropriate test record sweep.I am not totally comfortable with the oscilloscope function though but that probably is more due to my computer illiteracy than the program. I also never quite figured how to take snapshots of measurements but again that's me as freddyi over on AA High Eff often posts nice true RTA snapshots. The people at true RTA is also very helpful and that $39 gets you a code that can be transferred from computer to computer for ever.

It is as accurate as your souncard/interface is.Again probably my Neanderthal outlook on life but a calibrated USB mike recently led me straight into Alice's maze as recalibration of my speaker output had me listening to a + 20db bass boost for several weeks,rattling the house apart , making the dogs vomit and causing panic attacks in my kids and all passers by whilst I bravely soldiered on convinced that it measures flat so it must be right. Return to my trusty Focusrite interface and yet another calibrated mike showed my USB mike measurements to be way off and my ancient trusty Behringer to be correct after all!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have used true RTA for almost 10 years now.It kept me sane and played a huge role while I was designing and building( well having it built ) my speaker system. I mainly use REW now for room/speaker measurements but true RTA can still do stuff that REW can't and vice versa.It has eg a facility for holding peaks so is valuable for measuring tape recorder FR with a test tape sweep or phono system FR with an appropriate test record sweep.I am not totally comfortable with the oscilloscope function though but that probably is more due to my computer illiteracy than the program. I also never quite figured how to take snapshots of measurements but again that's me as freddyi over on AA High Eff often posts nice true RTA snapshots. The people at true RTA is also very helpful and that $39 gets you a code that can be transferred from computer to computer for ever.

It is as accurate as your souncard/interface is.Again probably my Neanderthal outlook on life but a calibrated USB mike recently led me straight into Alice's maze as recalibration of my speaker output had me listening to a + 20db bass boost for several weeks,rattling the house apart , making the dogs vomit and causing panic attacks in my kids and all passers by whilst I bravely soldiered on convinced that it measures flat so it must be right. Return to my trusty Focusrite interface and yet another calibrated mike showed my USB mike measurements to be way off and my ancient trusty Behringer to be correct after all!

Thank you that was really helpful!

Cyclotronguy

Aug 31, 2012
N. CA
Hi Myles

I don't use TrueRTA all that often, but I do have it in one of my older computers. Sound card, Berhinger mic, Shure Bros preamp.

It is for all practical purposes mostly "spot-on" with when I do outdoor plots of speakers..... ie MLSSA waterfall vs RTA.

The MLSSA system runs with either ACO Pacific or Bruel & Kjaer at the front end vs very inexpensive Berhinger mic .... so very much an apples and oranges as far as data acquisition goes. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it (TrueRTA) seems more accurate than it has any right to be.

Cyclotronguy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing