Deleted

Last edited:

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
OUTSTANDING pics and eats.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Miles, what was your initial take on the PS Audio DirectStream DAC? I see it made the extra pictures list !

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Here is a photo of our room by Jason Serinus of Stereophile.

EssentialAudio_Stereophile_JVS.jpg

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Miles, what was your initial take on the PS Audio DirectStream DAC? I see it made the extra pictures list !

Same here. You have a room, speakers and electronics. Impossible to "isolate" the impact of the DAC. If these guys want to impress an audience, they should bring two DACs (the PWD MK II and the new kid on the block), plug them in a preamp, use the same source (or replicate the source as well if needed) and switch between sources. No one ever does this for some reason. Puzzling to me, because they incur all this cost to showcase their product, and in the end they showcase nothing - might as well go the last mile....

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Same here. You have a room, speakers and electronics. Impossible to "isolate" the impact of the DAC. If these guys want to impress an audience, they should bring two DACs (the PWD MK II and the new kid on the block), plug them in a preamp, use the same source (or replicate the source as well if needed) and switch between sources. No one ever does this for some reason. Puzzling to me, because they incur all this cost to showcase their product, and in the end they showcase nothing - might as well go the last mile....

Agreed. Having a comparison with another DAC would be more interesting. Best bet may be to wait for the reviews to arrive.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Agreed. Having a comparison with another DAC would be more interesting. Best bet may be to wait for the reviews to arrive.

Even better bet is to buy one, line it up (double blind) against the incumbent (MSB), and ship it right back for a refund if it disappoints. This is precisely what I am doing.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I couldn't even say the room/system it was in sounded great.

It thought the room was was pretty decent in the high/mids, but I played one of my reference tracks for solid bass (Stevie Ray Vaughan - Tin Pan Alley), and even with the two subs they had in the room, the low registers disappointed. In fact, the same track in the (small) Lawrence room sounded better.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012

Had good time in that room. Myles was in there when I showed up.

Guess who Nick's talking to? The guy that gave him the perfect opportunity to talk about one of the cool bias monitoring features of his amp. :)

Dre

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Even better bet is to buy one, line it up (double blind) against the incumbent (MSB), and ship it right back for a refund if it disappoints. This is precisely what I am doing.

That would certainly be a good way to go since you can hear it and compare the new unit right in your system - and room.

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL

I offered up my PWD MKII on Friday for comparison and was told no go by the owner of the room (not Paul).

So, instead I have a Playback MPD-3 in my basement on loan for comparison.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I offered up my PWD MKII on Friday for comparison and was told no go by the owner of the room (not Paul).

So, instead I have a Playback MPD-3 in my basement on loan for comparison.

IMHO making comparisons in a show environment would be poor marketing, independently of the conclusions. The outcome of single comparisons would depend a lot on the recording, and no one would be able or want to spend the whole day just listening to a single room.

Although I do not care about fast comparisons carried in shows, I understand that PS Audio does not become associated with such practices. But I look forward to reading reports of comparisons of our members carried in their systems they know well.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Myles your honesty is music to our ears. Great reading
And I look forward to more.

Edorr stop wining most do not have the money
To spend that you do. And as to when did you believe
The DS would in anyway be on the level of the MSB
dacs we have. Besides the fact it's a room and could
Not be attributed to the whole system either
Al

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
It would have been interesting to listen to these Focal's.
Thank you for the picture, Myles.

Best sound of the show IMO. There is a used pair on audiogon for $36K. If I had the stamina for for logistical nightmare of selling and packing up my MM3's and installing these I would be tempted....

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Myles your honesty is music to our ears. Great reading
And I look forward to more.

Edorr stop wining most do not have the money
To spend that you do. And as to when did you believe
The DS would in anyway be on the level of the MSB
dacs we have. Besides the fact it's a room and could
Not be attributed to the whole system either
Al

A lot of folks on the forum here spend a multiple of what I spend on audio. Paul claimed the DS beat the EMM Labs DAC2X - bold claim. If true, this puts it in giant killer category. We'll see. I'm keeping an open mind and will line it up for double blind shootout against the MSB. Nothing to lose, everything to gain.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing