New NHB 18NS

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Thanks for that Jazzhead. I don't know if will take a room at the show, when I was there last (about five years ago) they were represented by the German importer I think, not themselves anyway. Is a big show so it might take you a while to find them even if you go looking. Will look forward to hearing your report if you find them.

Dartzeel will teaming up with Marten this year at Munich ... Marten Supreme 2 +Dartzeel new preamp + 458 . That should be a combo worth to .

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i0jjyaz5xvmx5pq/Marten press release Munich 2014[2].pdf

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Dartzeel will teaming up with Marten this year at Munich ... Marten Supreme 2 +Dartzeel new preamp + 458 . That should be a combo worth listening to . https://www.dropbox.com/s/kx0bduqu1...w7gpk/Marten press release Munich 2014[2].pdf

It should be a very interesting system system. Do you know what will be the sources? Unfortunately I got "Error (404) We can't find the page you're looking for. Check out our Help Center and forums for help, or head back to home. " when trying to access the link you posted.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Micro , link rectified please check and let me know , thanks

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Micro , link rectified please check and let me know , thanks

It is now working perfectly. Great system! I hope that DartZeel will tell people the price of the new preamplifier and the upgrade cost during the show!

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
It is now working perfectly. Great system! I hope that DartZeel will tell people the price of the new preamplifier and the upgrade cost during the show!
If the new preamp is close to the present model in price, it might be my next preamp. Presently, I am using a ARC Ref5se and like it very much but have had some trouble with tubes lately and would like to get back to solid state. I already have a darTZeel NHB 108 so no problems with synergy. I suppose that the new model will retain the phono section which is a real plus.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
It will be close, not double or anything like that.

Now, the phono section is actually much better than the original, with easily configurable parameters, and a rumble filter.

alexandre

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
That one will be interesting. They are also getting the full room treatment from SMT.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Now, the phono section is actually much better than the original, with easily configurable parameters, and a rumble filter.

alexandre

the new pre will be used as the phono stage at the Newport Show in a few weeks. i enjoy both my phono sections in my current dart pre and am really looking forward to hearing the new 'better' one.

my Evolution Acoustics MM7's have a rumble filter on the bass towers which i have turned off....and have never needed.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
I am surprised that the new preamp has a rumble filter since I thought that turntable rumble was a thing of the past, common on the old rim drive turntables. Certainly since I have had my Oracle Delphi there has never been a hint of rumble, but maybe its one of those artifacts that you don't know you have until it is eliminated.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
sbh7.jpg

cjlw.jpg

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
I am surprised that the new preamp has a rumble filter since I thought that turntable rumble was a thing of the past, common on the old rim drive turntables. Certainly since I have had my Oracle Delphi there has never been a hint of rumble, but maybe its one of those artifacts that you don't know you have until it is eliminated.

Hi Cascais, this is not "turntable rumble", it is for artifacts that are in the recordings (especially with vinyl).

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Hi Cascais, this is not "turntable rumble", it is for artifacts that are in the recordings (especially with vinyl).
Thanks for the info. Think I'll take that new darTZeel preamp anyway.:rolleyes:

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Input selection and volume display I don't really miss in the 18NS.... battery life also not a real issue... wonder what improvements there are in terms of sound, the 18NS is already virtually transparent IMO. Anyone planning in a back to back listening test? :)

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Input selection and volume display I don't really miss in the 18NS.... battery life also not a real issue... wonder what improvements there are in terms of sound, the 18NS is already virtually transparent IMO. Anyone planning in a back to back listening test? :)
At this level audible improvements are probably highly subjective, but I plan a listening session when the new model shows up at my dealer. The idea of the excellent integrated phono stage appeals to me.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Just curious, without the display, how do you know what the volume level is?
From photos it look as if volume level is indicated by a little red dot on the inside rim of the "pleasure control."

BiggusD

Nov 10, 2013
In the photos I see, there is an illuminated ring around the whole knob, but no red dot that I can see...

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
From photos it look as if volume level is indicated by a little red dot on the inside rim of the "pleasure control."

That's one of the downfalls of the old pre. You can never get repeatable levels unless you used test equipment. Trying to compare different equipment or tweaks is a game in futility.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Here is some info from Herve:

The new NHB-18NS will start production in about 5-6 weeks from now, with expected availability for next September / October.
Anyway I already have a lot of them backordered, and deliveries will need some patience form users.
The final price is still not known but we expect to have a retail price of around Euro 30k (without taxes and duties).

Old NHB-18NS could be upgraded around 6-8 months after the official new preamp will have started its delivery debuts, say for around next spring 2015.
Cost is not known at the moment, and it is very difficult to predict. The goal is offering a factory direct bundle with shipping back and forth included, we still have to work on this to make everybody happy.

It seems the new preamp will be more expensive.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing