New NHB 18NS

Sencha

Nov 11, 2013
U.K.
Well I guess it's official now. On the Dartzeel website a picture of the new pre and saying it will be debuted at the Munich show this year. Looks exactly the same as the old one apart from an LED window the same size but on the opposite side to the name plate with the promise of all new parts inside. Promises to be a completely new pre then. No mention of backward compatibility/upgrade of existing pre amps but we will have to wait and see if Herve has made that possible. Would be nice if it is though! My only wish is that I could make it to Munich to hear it but work commitments tell me I can't. Hey-ho. Hopefully someone will be there to report back to us all on first impressions. Exciting times indeed. Anybody going to Munich?

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Hope to attend this year , will keep you posted if I do run across the Dart .

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Excellent news, the volume indicator was really needed. Let us hope that it can be retro-fitted to the existing NHB18NS preamplifiers. I suggested it to Herve long ago, but he said no, it was against his views on the "pleasure control". Perhaps the indicator can be disabled for purists!

Sencha

Nov 11, 2013
U.K.
Thanks for that Jazzhead. I don't know if will take a room at the show, when I was there last (about five years ago) they were represented by the German importer I think, not themselves anyway. Is a big show so it might take you a while to find them even if you go looking. Will look forward to hearing your report if you find them.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i called Jonathan Tinn, the North American distributor for darTZeel, to ask him about the new version of the NHB-18NS. he said the new dart pre should ship as soon as early fall (which the website also states), and that current NHB-18NS owners (like me) will be offered upgrades starting 'approx' 6 months after the first new pre's ship in early fall. the 'upgrade' will involve a lengthy complete rebuild in Switzerland.

i'm likely going to purchase the new dart pre when it releases, then sell my current dart pre which includes 2 phono stages. i've been waiting many moons for this product and so am anxious to mate it up with my NHB-458's as god intended it to be mated.

Last edited:

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
i'm likely going to purchase the new dart pre when it releases, then sell my current dart pre which includes 2 phono stages. i've been waiting many moons for this product and so am anxious to mate it up with my NHB-458's as god intended it to be mated.

Who cares what God intends....what does your wife think? :rolleyes:

Sencha

Nov 11, 2013
U.K.
Hi Mike, being an early adopter I'll very much look forward to hearing what you think of it compared to your existing pre. For myself I think I'll have to wait and have the upgrade (depending on price) whenever and if it comes. No doubt it will be an improvement compared to the existing 18 but it will have to go some as lets face it, the existing one is no slouch. Only a few months to wait though so not long. Has Jonathan Tinn heard it?

Cheers.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike, being an early adopter I'll very much look forward to hearing what you think of it compared to your existing pre. For myself I think I'll have to wait and have the upgrade (depending on price) whenever and if it comes. No doubt it will be an improvement compared to the existing 18 but it will have to go some as lets face it, the existing one is no slouch. Only a few months to wait though so not long. Has Jonathan Tinn heard it?

Cheers.

hi Sencha,

no, Jonathan has not heard it. it's possible it could be at Newport Beach but Jonathan does not yet know for sure.

as far as waiting for the upgrade you are likely doing it right, i have had my NHB-18NS since they were first released back in 2006. mine has been back to Switzerland twice for various upgrades and adding the second phono stage. 8 years is long enough with the same preamp for me that i want to turn the page as soon as i can.

best regards,

mike

Sencha

Nov 11, 2013
U.K.
hi Sencha,

no, Jonathan has not heard it. it's possible it could be at Newport Beach but Jonathan does not yet know for sure.

as far as waiting for the upgrade you are likely doing it right, i have had my NHB-18NS since they were first released back in 2006. mine has been back to Switzerland twice for various upgrades and adding the second phono stage. 8 years is long enough with the same preamp for me that i want to turn the page as soon as i can.

best regards,

mike

Mike, I totally understand, I'd probably go for a new pre if I was in your shoes as well. My 18/108 is probably ages with yours although I haven't had it all of that time. I'll be waiting to see when/if the upgrade happens but it looks like if it does it will be next year at the earliest. I guess if your gearing up to build the new pre then you don't want to be instantly inundated with lots of older ones wanting the update taking away all of the new parts. A nice problem to have nonetheless if your Herve, business is business after all.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Any rumors about the price of the new NHB 18NS?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
hi Sencha,

best regards,

mike

I saw them working on it last summer in Geneva. Hopefully I get to meet up with Herve again this Summer and hear about the advances he made. Lovely fellow.

Last edited:

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Hi,

Mike or Jonathan - do you know if the new pre is made to match the performance of the monoblocks or if it is more made to match the performance of the stereo amplifier like the old pre.

I am on the verge to sell my current pre (which includes a phono stage) and my monoblocks and upgrade to the new darTZeel pre and monoblocks.

Sencha

Nov 11, 2013
U.K.
Hi Roysen,

Not that I know anything about Herve's design process but I would imagine that when your designing a new bit of equipment you would use the best sounding, most transparent equipment you have on hand to evaluate it. This would surely mean the 458's, why would you not? Not that the existing 18 is any slouch I might add and I'm sure sounds wonderful with 458's.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi,

Mike or Jonathan - do you know if the new pre is made to match the performance of the monoblocks or if it is more made to match the performance of the stereo amplifier like the old pre.

I am on the verge to sell my current pre (which includes a phono stage) and my monoblocks and upgrade to the new darTZeel pre and monoblocks.

As far as I could find the new preamplifier will match the 458 but will be more expensive than the old NHB 18NS.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
As far as I could find the new preamplifier will match the 458 but will be more expensive than the old NHB 18NS.

That's true.
The new batteries are more reliable, but more expensive too.
Hervé was particularly proud of the new phono stage built into the new pre. He says it's much better than the current one, which is already quite a good phono pre!

Roysen,

Now that's a step in the right direction :) The 458s are fantastic, and I'm sure the new 18NS is the perfect pair for it!

alexandre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing