New NHB 18NS

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike.
Any news about your new preamp?
Regards.

I did hear some news a couple weeks ago from the North American darTZeel distributor, Jonathan Tinn. he told me that he did hear from darTZeel that the new 18NS should ship starting in January after CES. I wanted to know when I could offer my previous model dart pre for sale and get the timing correct.

previously it was thought it would be October but there was a delay on some critical parts that have delayed things. and remember this info is now 2 weeks old and there could be another delay. any time a new product goes into production, particularly with new technology involved like this new dart pre, we all must be patient.

I cannot wait to get mine....my 2 weeks with it last June still haunts me. I know it will be worth the wait.

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
Any changes to the battery in the new preamp? Old preamp battery has problems holding charges.

Sencha

Nov 11, 2013
U.K.
Knghifi, I was told by Herve that the new pre has different batteries in it and completely eliminates this issue. I have had issues with the batteries in mine holding a charge but as I am in the UK with a decent electrical supply the difference between mains and battery performance is not huge. May-be time to get yourself a new pre? Very much looking forward to hearing about how Mike get's on with his one when it arrives. Not too long now I hope.

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
Sencha, that's good to know. I'll wait for customer experiences with new battery before jumping back in.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Any changes to the battery in the new preamp? Old preamp battery has problems holding charges.

As far as I remember the battery issue was solved a few years ago with an upgrade. From my experience some battery models were really long lasting - also as far as I remember I got good results with the Yuasa NP7-12. Never replace a single battery - they are not expensive and should be all of the same type and age, as they are used/charged in series pairs. And even with power re-generators I preferred the sound in pure battery mode.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Micro is correct; the updated charging software allowed the batteries to be longer lasting in the current dart pre. and they are inexpensive ($30-$40 each x 4) so it's not any big deal to change.

my understanding is that the new dart pre has a completely different battery (newer technology), longer charge holding, and much much longer life span.

I'm told shipments of the new pre are likely starting in a couple months from now. they are working on finalizing the software.

Sencha

Nov 11, 2013
U.K.
Thats good to know about battery type. Did you guys (Microstrip and Mike) change the batteries yourselves or are they a dealer fit?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) my understanding is that the new dart pre has a completely different battery (newer technology), longer charge holding, and much much longer life span. (...) .

Surely - IMHO no one would dare to introduce new consumer electronics using lead batteries in 2015!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thats good to know about battery type. Did you guys (Microstrip and Mike) change the batteries yourselves or are they a dealer fit?

The wires are soldered and you must be skilled to replace them. Better left to the dealer.

Sencha

Nov 11, 2013
U.K.
I am pretty handy generally but I think I'll leave it to a dealer to change the batteries if needed. Better still an upgrade to the new pre might be more fun.

Sencha

Nov 11, 2013
U.K.
Probably best to leave it that way then Mike. Can you imagine how you'd feel accidently dropping a big blob of solder on one of the pre's circuit boards?? Isn't worth thinking about.

boonyarat

Jan 7, 2011
Bangkok , THAILAND
After long awaiting , now it almost time for exciting on new NHB-18 NS !!!!!!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Gorgeous :D

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
A real beauty !

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Pity I didnt see this thread until after I called him earlier today. I would have alerted him to the link. i remeber them working on the prototype for this from back in 2012 or 2013 Summer.

Adam, I think we (Tomasz and I) will be able to set up another encounter Chez Herve by month end.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I actually like the Iron Man-ish looks

Battery powered?
How much is it?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Who will be the happy audiophile that will have his name engraved on the plate on the top left? I know of a few awaiting eagerly for theirs!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing