Teac X1000R in Black finish and Mahogany cabinet

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It appears, barring a disaster or a really bad audition, that I will be the new owner of this R2R machine.

The seller is the original owner and has had it serviced prior to putting it up for sale. Heads were cleaned, it was fully lubricated and the capstan belt was replaced. It comes with the original Teac NAB hubs for 10.5 reels, the original Teac take up reel and Owner's Manual. All functions have been tested and work flawlessly.

I had originally wanted a machine that could play at 15ips, but after some thought during the last year I've come to realize that such a speed is not a necessity for me. I have no interest at the moment in acquiring pre-recorded tapes as the price of entry is too steep for my budget. My aim/goal with this unit is to record some of my fave vinyl and to make compilation tapes. At 7.5" I can get 3 hours of music at a relatively decent quality and I'll have loads of fun creating them. To me, that is what this is all about.

I should have the unit in my possession mid-June. Us frugal audiophiles need to work with a willing seller at times to realize their wants, and I'm pleased to say I have found one. I'll give him a down-payment after the audition and the balance when I get my semi-annual bonus. He's cool with that!

Teac - X1000R.jpg

mep

Apr 20, 2010
That's a nice deck John and for your intended purposes it will do a great job.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
That's a nice deck John and for your intended purposes it will do a great job.

Thanks Mark! And yes, I think so too. I have plenty to learn, but I'm eager to do so. :)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Congrats John, are you going to run it thru an external head preamp?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Congrats John, are you going to run it thru an external head preamp?

No. I'll connect directly to my existing preamp. This is all new to me, and I only have so many funds at my disposal, so a dedicated head preamp is a few years away.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
No. I'll connect directly to my existing preamp. This is all new to me, and I only have so many funds at my disposal, so a dedicated head preamp is a few years away.

I don't think I would worry about doing that John. You are not running 15ips 2 track tapes. Your goal is to make really good recordings of songs from your LPs at 7.5ips and have some fun. Going through the expense and hassle of modifying this deck to use with an outboard preamp would not be justified IMO.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I don't think I would worry about doing that John. You are not running 15ips 2 track tapes. Your goal is to make really good recordings of songs from your LPs at 7.5ips and have some fun. Going through the expense and hassle of modifying this deck to use with an outboard preamp would not be justified IMO.

Yeah....you're right.

I'm excited Mark! I can't wait to finally watch those spinning reels mesmerize me.....LOL! I think I might get me some of those fancy coloured LED lighting strips! Hell, maybe even add a Pole and invite well....you know! LOL!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Yeah....you're right.

I'm excited Mark! I can't wait to finally watch those spinning reels mesmerize me.....LOL! I think I might get me some of those fancy coloured LED lighting strips! Hell, maybe even add a Pole and invite well....you know! LOL!

Yep, I know. Your very own ta-ta bar right in your living room.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Yeah....you're right.

Have you decided on what tape to use? The only 2 going now are ATR and RMGI. I'd look around for the best price. I'd certainly stay away from NOS tape. It will just take the fun away when you run into problems.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Have you decided on what tape to use? The only 2 going now are ATR and RMGI. I'd look around for the best price. I'd certainly stay away from NOS tape. It will just take the fun away when you run into problems.

Yes, I think I'm going to go with the RMG LPR35-34512. Thoughts?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It's a great tape to start off with. You just need to be more careful with it since it's a 1mil tape.

Good to know you approve! :). Since this is a new endeavor for me I'll be more than careful.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing