Axpona 2014- Polymer Audio, Marten/ Cat, Soundlab Atmasphere my best so far. Yours?

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
The guy showing off the system actually said "proprietary" and Lyngdorf wasn't even mentioned. He went on to say that McIntosh will not be licensing it to anyone.

He seemed pretty knowledgeable, though quite animated!

Well, if it is Lyngdorf's technology then he's right. McIntosh wouldn't be licensing it, Lyngdorf would... :)

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I heard the MA too. That's what I was referring to. I couldn't wait for him to take it off. Everything was plastered on the back wall and flat as a graphene sheet. No imaging whatsoever. Oh did I mention where were the harmonic overtones? Not much of anything period.

That's what I love about this hobby. No one agree on anything. I believe Fremer rated this as an off the charts phenomenal recording on vinyl. I guess the overtones and depth all magically disappeared on the 96/24 recording.

Are you talking about the MBL or MBL/UHA room? As far as the latter room goes, how do you know what you are complaining about wasn't the music being played? Just because it was tape doesn't make it automatically good. Nor can one make any judgements unless you bring and play your own music. Would you go to a store and buy something using their software?

I did not like either one of the MBL rooms. I would have loved to play my own stuff on the Magico S3, which left me "confused". I did play my own files in a few rooms (TAD, Lawrence, PS Audio). Obviously, when in assessment for buying mode, I would always listen to my own music.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I heard the MA too. That's what I was referring to. I couldn't wait for him to take it off. Everything was plastered on the back wall and flat as a graphene sheet. No imaging whatsoever. Oh did I mention where were the harmonic overtones? Not much of anything period.

Are you talking about the MBL or MBL/UHA room? As far as the latter room goes, how do you know what you are complaining about wasn't the music being played? Just because it was tape doesn't make it automatically good. Nor can one make any judgements unless you bring and play your own music. Would you go to a store and buy something using their software?

And I have no horse either.

Myles, you dirty slut (from SNL), this is one of the finest recordings I have ever heard. I had the 45rmp vinyl bringing everyone to their knees on many occasions on the track Nublado. 50 grown men were crying their eyes out in the Stella room! The room operator ran downstairs to buy a copy before the track was finished!

BTW, it's a digital recording, 96/24. Shocking!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Myles, you dirty slut (from SNL), this is one of the finest recordings I have ever heard. I had the 45rmp vinyl bringing everyone to their knees on many occasions on the track Nublado. 50 grown men were crying their eyes out in the Stella room! The room operator ran downstairs to buy a copy before the track was finished!

BTW, it's a digital recording, 96/24. Shocking!

To me, anyone assessing that recording as sounding flat and lacking overtones in that focal / aesthetix room, has lost all credibility as an audio reviewer. I suspect this is what is called hearing the world through vinyl coloured ears. I personally did not know if this was an LP or a file when I initially heard it. Only checked after concluding it sounded phenomenal.

Needless to say, I ran down to the ground level and bought a copy.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
It's "ignorant slut", Peter, as in "Jane, you ignorant slut."

Would that be an "ad hominem" attack or an "ad wominem" attack?

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
It's "ignorant slut", Peter, as in "Jane, you ignorant slut."

Darn, I mix myself up so easy. Thanks for the correction. What did Jane say in return?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
That's what I love about this hobby. No one agree on anything. I believe Fremer rated this as an off the charts phenomenal recording on vinyl. I guess the overtones and depth all magically disappeared on the 96/24 recording.

I did not like either one of the MBL rooms. I would have loved to play my own stuff on the Magico S3, which left me "confused". I did play my own files in a few rooms (TAD, Lawrence, PS Audio). Obviously, when in assessment for buying mode, I would always listen to my own music.

Did I attack your manhood or something? If you actually knew me, the ludicrousness of your comments would be painfully obvious. Not to mention calling me a liar. That said, I'll rest on my 30 year body of work. And biased? You obviously didn't read my comments from CES where I thought the Origine CD player was better than the vinyl setup.

Is your mind so small that it's inconceivable that we're both right? You obviously haven't been to enough shows to understand that what can happen will happen. Is it so difficult for you to grasp that somebody screwed up the system between the times when we listened? I'll be glad to look up the manufacturer who was sitting next to me and had the same impression. It really sucked that bad.

And you still haven't answered my questions or did. You didn't know what you were listening to in analog. I rest my case.

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's hard to be very impressed at the show. But let me get right to the one of the biggest surprises: Polymer Audio Research Speakers. Imagine a Magico speaker with a soul: a completely inert cabinet, great dynamics, non-annoying tweeter, tremendous resolution, and the sense that gear is not just a mechanical contraption but a way to communicate everything on the recording so well that you only feel the emotions of the performance. Well, this is Polymer Audio Research Speakers. ...

I too was very favorably impressed by the Polymer Audio speakers, though I did not hear them with familiar music.

I need to go out to visit Brian Walsh and hear the Sound Lab speakers in his new room.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Did I attack your manhood or something? If you actually knew me, the ludicrousness of your comments would be painfully obvious. Not to mention calling me a liar.

Where am I calling you a liar?

Is your mind so small that it's inconceivable that we're both right? You obviously haven't been to enough shows to understand that what can happen will happen. Is it so difficult for you to grasp that somebody screwed up the system between the times when we listened? I'll be glad to look up the manufacturer who was sitting next to me and had the same impression. It really sucked that bad.

The "Focal" guy in the room mentioned to me he preferred the digital over the analog source, in agreement with me. I thought we were having a discussion over preference between digital and analog, and you expressed a preference for the latter, which is fine by me. May-be I misunderstood and you were just trying to convey the digital setup may have been screwed up when you were listening to it. Either way, nothing to get all worked up about

And you still haven't answered my questions or did. You didn't know what you were listening to in analog. I rest my case.

They played some Ricky Lee Jones that I know quite well on vinyl in the Magico room upon my request. Again, to me, SQ took a step back from the digital source we were listening to on the same system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing